GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 08:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

From 680 to 660 and the jump to 730

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
From 680 to 660 and the jump to 730  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 08:56
This is my brief on my journey for people of this awesome forum.
The Start :

I started off in Jan of 2016 . I bought the OG and just ran through it (Bad Idea). I had no trouble with the Quant section since Quant was a strong suit. Also questions from various contributors on this forum helped in getting a bigger question bank to work on . Verbal was in for a lack of a better word in average state, still the OG was pretty good . After I completed the OG i bought the mock prep exam from GMAT prep from Mba.com along with 2 free mocks (when registering for the exam).
I finished off the mocks getting scores ranging from 680-710. I was still getting used to the GMAT exam setup and one of the mistakes i did was not to study in fine detail the various naunces of the exam. For example : Although the GmatPrep exam is very very close to the real exam in terms of scoring and questions , i did not pay heed to my own mock scores. Taking those scores lightly and aiming in for 700+ score i gave my exam in April 2016. Scored a 680 (Q47 V37) . Not a good score for a Indian applicant from the biggest application pool as I learnt days later.
From the ESR report , most of it looked normal. I had done a lot of mistakes in Quant and the strategy for both Verbal and Quant was flawed.

Take 2 :

I took a break from GMAT owing to work and other distractions and restarted in Jan 2017 again with the sole purpose of working on the verbal part extensively. I took up egmat (as recommended on this forum). Egmat gave me what i needed a strategy to attempt verbal questions (My firm belief of a v37 in my previous attempt was that it was a fluke since I had no quantified justifications for answers, I was merely going through them with the help of whether the answer sentence sounded good or not -- A mistake that GMAT does use against you). I took up Egmat's verbal course which also gave me access to gmatclub tests and 8 mocks from 800score.com. By March 2016 I had finished the videos related to concepts and started off with the verbal bank Egmat provides.
After finishing the bank , I bought another set of mocks from mba.com . With the 4 mocks (2+2) and gmatclub sectional exams , I decided to take it slow and finish up exams taking into account performance. The mocks scores ranged from 720-760 owing to a upgraded verbal level .
The day of the exam ( May 2017 ) : All I can remember from that day is I did find the sentence correction question a bit tough , I couldnt wrap my head around the questions as such. Scored a 660 on that day. :x . Boy o Boy that was a bad day. Treated myself to a extra large pizza for dinner . Haha
Anyway I saw the ESR after a week of attempting the exam , and thank god i did : It turns out maybe by luck or a set of rough question draw from the arbitary question pool , i had scored a 31 in Verbal only because my sentence correction percentile was = 5% (crazy :roll: ). I was good on all other fronts , Quants,RC and CR (85-90% each).

With this I started off with my third attempt (June 2017) , knowing i probably had missed out by pure luck or lack of concentration . I went through my egmat notes. I also attended a Verbal course webinar hosted by egmat. Got a lot of pointers on what my position is and some of the ways to tackle different questions as such. After roughly about 25 days , 200 questions and 2 good mocks later I gave my gmat again ---> Voila a 730 (Q50V39).

Break down of the resources:

Quant :
1. OG (must)
2. Math books hosted by GMAT club (Under GMAT section above) -- for theory and formulas
3. Mocks by Gmat club - GMATCLUB Tests --> A must buy.

Verbal :
1. OG
2. Verbal course by egmat
3. Sectional Mocks by GMATCLUB tests

Mock Test :

1. Official GMATPrep Exam pack 1 and 2

Test Day :

Keep a light head for the day. I revised a couple of major verbal concepts that i was weak on. As per my daily routine for exams I didnt eat much before exam (Not personally recommended) . Survived on Gatorade and Water thoughout the exam .

Other Notes :

1. Keep a error log --> It is a must and very important specially for the 2 days before the exam.
2. Dont worry about questions during the exam, concentrate on the next batch of questions.
3. Keep your chin up even if you scored a low score , get the ESR report see what you did wrong and work on that.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: From 680 to 660 and the jump to 730  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 13:56
Great job on the test!

It seems that you do pretty well in Quant. I'm the opposite, my strengths are in verbal and my weakness is definitely Quant. Any tips on how I can improve?

I go through a lot of GMAT club tests/questions, but some I feel are extremely tough. The questions are really good, but they are just too tough for me to solve without having to reference formulas, theories, or other examples. Any advice on where to go to build some confidence for tackling the quantitative section.

I have done the easy GMAT books Quant sections already. The Kaplan, Barron's, etc.. I studied the math, and do really well on the Quant sections. But when I do something that is more realistic like MGAT, Official GMAT, or GMAT Club tests, I get rocked on the math.... Sigh.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: From 680 to 660 and the jump to 730  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 22:04
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:
Great job on the test!

It seems that you do pretty well in Quant. I'm the opposite, my strengths are in verbal and my weakness is definitely Quant. Any tips on how I can improve?

I go through a lot of GMAT club tests/questions, but some I feel are extremely tough. The questions are really good, but they are just too tough for me to solve without having to reference formulas, theories, or other examples. Any advice on where to go to build some confidence for tackling the quantitative section.

I have done the easy GMAT books Quant sections already. The Kaplan, Barron's, etc.. I studied the math, and do really well on the Quant sections. But when I do something that is more realistic like MGAT, Official GMAT, or GMAT Club tests, I get rocked on the math.... Sigh.

Hi

A very basic way to keep upping your level of quant would be to revise the questions you did wrong , using an error log. The questions are based on the same concepts so revising the concepts also multiple times will help. I would suggest not to time yourself while doing the tough questions , take your time negotiating the question 30-40 minutes (using the reference formulas) understand and save it for later.
As and when you get comfortable with the questions start doing more in a timed manner.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: From 680 to 660 and the jump to 730   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2017, 22:04

From 680 to 660 and the jump to 730

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap