GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 09:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in 6 Days and I seem way off. Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT in 6 Days and I seem way off. Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 23:48
HI,

I Have my 1st GMAT attempt on 22nd April. I started preparing exactly a month ago and I've prepared from the Manhattan guides. As I go through the questions on the forum or books(Manhattan, OG etc.), I get roughly 80% correct (including 700+ questions) but when I attempt tests it is whole different story, my percentage falls to 50% which is terrible. After the test sets when I browse through explanations, I don't seem to find anything new, the explanations are concepts I know and yet I keep getting them wrong over and over again. Its getting frustrating and I desperately want to do well.
I would really appreciate help.

Regards
Avin
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in 6 Days and I seem way off. Help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 00:22
avinsethi wrote:
HI,

I Have my 1st GMAT attempt on 22nd April. I started preparing exactly a month ago and I've prepared from the Manhattan guides. As I go through the questions on the forum or books(Manhattan, OG etc.), I get roughly 80% correct (including 700+ questions) but when I attempt tests it is whole different story, my percentage falls to 50% which is terrible. After the test sets when I browse through explanations, I don't seem to find anything new, the explanations are concepts I know and yet I keep getting them wrong over and over again. Its getting frustrating and I desperately want to do well.

Regards
Avin

Since it is already too late to reschedule, try going through the basics and try to get the easy and medium level questions right in the exam. Do not waste time on hard questions. What are your current CAT scores?

Hit +1 Kudos If you like my post! :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 05:39
avinsethi wrote:
HI,

Regards
Avin

It is easier to handle stand alone questions at your leisure than the same questions in the form of a full length test. Stamina is a big problem since the mind gets tired after an hour of continuous effort - but the test goes on for about 4 hours! My suggestion at this time would be to not worry about it. Relax in the last 2-3 days and think of this attempt as a dry run before the actual event. Obviously, do take the test very seriously but go with a target score in mind - if you get that or more than that, stay with it, else cancel it. This attempt will not appear on your score report if you cancel it.
Take the test and get back with your score. Accordingly, we can discuss what you should do next.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 10:22
avinsethi wrote:
HI,

Regards
Avin

Hi Avin,
Since GMAT is a timed Computer Adaptive Test in which time is very limited, once you are clear with basics, then you should always do timed practice. Since you have less than a week for your GMAT, you should probably revise whatever you have studied and go through the error logs if you have one.
In case you decide to retake the GMAT, you should always practice under timed conditions and try to solve a decent number of questions in a stretch.
Don't stress yourself out before the GMAT and relax and revise whatever you have studied.

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 04:57
avinsethi wrote:
HI,

Regards
Avin

Practice plays a big role in prepping you up for the test day. Since you cannot reschedule now, I would recommend you to go ahead and sit for the test and take a call based on the score that you get.

A few things to keep in mind on the test day:

1. Do not think about the final score at any point of time
2. Once done with a section forget about it and concentrate on the next one.
3. Take both the breaks. It helps you to freshen up
4. Take a note of the time when you are out for break. Do not exceed the break
5. Do not rush through the last 5 questions in the verbal sections in a bid to see your final score
6. Make sure you complete the section. There is a high penalty for not completing the test.
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 14:24
The wording "when I browse through explanations" in your post makes me think you might not have been reviewing problems in great enough detail. It's easy to settle for "getting it" on the GMAT; however, on the actual test, they aren't testing whether you "get it". They're testing whether you can produce the solution entirely on your own with no help, which is a related but much harder skill. In order to do it successfully on test day, you have to go beyond just understanding the explanations by reading them. Try this out - the article is geared towards the GRE but it's equally relevant to the GMAT.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gre/blog/ ... r-the-gre/

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: GMAT in 6 Days and I seem way off. Help!   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2017, 14:24

GMAT in 6 Days and I seem way off. Help!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap