Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: GMAT Mock before prep [#permalink]
Kudos
ashabbhi wrote:
Thank you for your reply. My quant is quite rusty and I need to start from the basics. Which books would you recommend? I’ve seen here that Manhattan has got good reviews for basic concept strengthening. I’m planning to focus only on quant for the next two months. Kindly help. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

Well, why not join an online course? Fair chance you'll get the best out of the courses
Ans I am sorry I don't teach, I just guide students to frame a strategy with my consulting company. I am however planning to add the teaching into it
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1440 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I used Manhattan for SC.It is really good.For quant check Target prep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Businessconquerer wrote:
ashabbhi wrote:
Thank you for your reply. My quant is quite rusty and I need to start from the basics. Which books would you recommend? I’ve seen here that Manhattan has got good reviews for basic concept strengthening. I’m planning to focus only on quant for the next two months. Kindly help. Thank you.

Well, why not join an online course? Fair chance you'll get the best out of the courses
Ans I am sorry I don't teach, I just guide students to frame a strategy with my consulting company. I am however planning to add the teaching into it

Sir, that sounds like a good idea. Could you recommend some good online courses, especially for quant? Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mangamma wrote:
I used Manhattan for SC.It is really good.For quant check Target prep

Sure, I will check those out. Thank you

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ashabbhi,

A 510 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). You also appear to have given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good. That all having been said, raising a 510 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials do you currently have access to?
2) Do you have an Official Test Date scheduled yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ashabbhi,

A 510 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). You also appear to have given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good. That all having been said, raising a 510 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials do you currently have access to?
2) Do you have an Official Test Date scheduled yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thank you for the kind encouragement, Rich. I am a non-engineer and have pathetic quant skills.

To answer your questions:
1. I only have purchased the OG material so far. I understand it is not the ideal place to start so will be going for the Manhattan Quant Foundation book.
2. I have not set a test date yet because I am not sure if I will be able to finish my prep in 3-4 months considering I have a full time job and am married (another full time job). But I am looking to write it in May or June if all goes well.
3. I will be applying to schools in June/September 2021. I want to target the top 20, anything less than that will not be helpful. I have an MBA in energy management but I want to give my career a much needed boost with another better MBA.
With this background, what would be your suggestions/recommendations regarding how I should go about cracking the gmat.

Thanks a ton

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI ashabbhi,

Since you need quant help. As has been mentioned TTP would be an awesome resource for you. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club. We off a full access 5-day trial, so feel free to give the course a shot. Lastly, if you have any questions regarding TTP, feel free to reach out to me directly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
HI ashabbhi,

Since you need quant help. As has been mentioned TTP would be an awesome resource for you. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club. We off a full access 5-day trial, so feel free to give the course a shot. Lastly, if you have any questions regarding TTP, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your response. Honestly, I have heard a lot about the TTP course and I wanted to reach out to you to clarify a couple of things before I enrolled for it. One thing I have struggled with is the application of concepts. For example, I understand the concept of integers but what are the kind of questions do they appear in gmat and how to solve them is what I struggle with. Do your courses focus on that? Some tips and tricks as well. I’m not looking for shortcuts but just some understanding of the questions and how to solve them. Also, would there be one-on-one guidance from your experts? Please let me know. It will be most helpful because quant is my biggest weakness and I really want to overcome it.

Thank you,
Ashay Abbhi

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Ashay,

You appear to have given yourself plenty of lead-time before you actually "need" your GMAT Score - which is great. This provides you with a great opportunity to hone your general 'math' skills without having to spend much - if any - money.

For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you can start your GMAT studies.

Beyond that, while the OG books are great sources for practice questions, they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. As such, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

As an interim step before fully-committing to a GMAT Study Plan, I suggest that you work on your math skills for a couple of weeks, then review your first CAT. We'll be looking to see how many of those Quant questions you could get correct (with your newly re-learned math skills). That should also help to define the other areas that you will need to work on going forward - and the type of Study Plan that you should follow.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ashay,

You appear to have given yourself plenty of lead-time before you actually "need" your GMAT Score - which is great. This provides you with a great opportunity to hone your general 'math' skills without having to spend much - if any - money.

For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you can start your GMAT studies.

Beyond that, while the OG books are great sources for practice questions, they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. As such, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

As an interim step before fully-committing to a GMAT Study Plan, I suggest that you work on your math skills for a couple of weeks, then review your first CAT. We'll be looking to see how many of those Quant questions you could get correct (with your newly re-learned math skills). That should also help to define the other areas that you will need to work on going forward - and the type of Study Plan that you should follow.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly at any time.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for guiding me further. I have gotten hold of the Manhattan strategic set and will set up an account at Khan Academy. I feel the formula you have suggested to work on my skills for a couple of weeks and then revisit the mock GMAT makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I would improve. I am also looking to find some tricks and tactics that can help with the application of the concept to the question and help me solve it.

Thanks so much.

Warmly,
Ashay Abbhi
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ashay,

Almost every question that you will face on the Official GMAT can be approached in more than one way, so beyond making sure that you have the necessary knowledge (re: math formulas, grammar/idiom rules, etc.), you'll want to train in the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics. In that way, beyond learning how to correctly answer questions, you'll also be training in how to answer questions in the most efficient ways (so that you don't waste time on approaches that take a lot longer to implement). That broader training takes time and effort though - and you'll have to be committed to that work if you want to maximize your performance on the Official GMAT.

We can absolutely talk about how best to approach all of that work once you've put in a little time to work on your general math skills.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashabbhi wrote:
HI ashabbhi,

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your response. Honestly, I have heard a lot about the TTP course and I wanted to reach out to you to clarify a couple of things before I enrolled for it. One thing I have struggled with is the application of concepts. For example, I understand the concept of integers but what are the kind of questions do they appear in gmat and how to solve them is what I struggle with. Do your courses focus on that? Some tips and tricks as well. I’m not looking for shortcuts but just some understanding of the questions and how to solve them. Also, would there be one-on-one guidance from your experts? Please let me know. It will be most helpful because quant is my biggest weakness and I really want to overcome it.

Thank you,
Ashay Abbhi

Hi Akshay,

Based on your needs, I think TTP will be perfect for you. I've actually sent you a PM, so we can chat further.

Let's do this!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Ashay,

Almost every question that you will face on the Official GMAT can be approached in more than one way, so beyond making sure that you have the necessary knowledge (re: math formulas, grammar/idiom rules, etc.), you'll want to train in the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics. In that way, beyond learning how to correctly answer questions, you'll also be training in how to answer questions in the most efficient ways (so that you don't waste time on approaches that take a lot longer to implement). That broader training takes time and effort though - and you'll have to be committed to that work if you want to maximize your performance on the Official GMAT.

We can absolutely talk about how best to approach all of that work once you've put in a little time to work on your general math skills.

Rich

Thank you, Rich, I will surely take you up on that offer once I feel slightly more confident of my quants.

Warmly,
Ashay
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ashabbhi wrote:
HI ashabbhi,

Hello Scott,

Thank you,
Ashay Abbhi

Hi Akshay,

Based on your needs, I think TTP will be perfect for you. I've actually sent you a PM, so we can chat further.

Let's do this!!

Thank you for your help and the PM, Scott. I have responded to you there.

Thanks,
Ashay
GMAT Club Bot