Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Hi all. Did anyone write the Online exam with a laptop in clamshell mode (closed) and an external monitor hooked with a webcam and a microphone? Does anyone know if this set-up is allowed? GMAT mentions no 'external monitors' are allowed on their website, but I'm wondering if that's just with respect to dual/multiple monitor stations, and that they can accommodate those with a small 11/13-inch laptop as their base systems?

There was one other post like this on the forum, but unfortunately nobody nailed down an answer.

Thanks all.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stayfocused wrote:
Hi all. Did anyone write the Online exam with a laptop in clamshell mode (closed) and an external monitor hooked with a webcam and a microphone? Does anyone know if this set-up is allowed? GMAT mentions no 'external monitors' are allowed on their website, but I'm wondering if that's just with respect to dual/multiple monitor stations, and that they can accommodate those with a small 11/13-inch laptop as their base systems?

There was one other post like this on the forum, but unfortunately nobody nailed down an answer.

Thanks all.

Welcome to GMaT Club!

I am pretty sure it is allowed and not an issue. There’s no way for GMAC to know if it’s a laptop or a desktop. Nor do they care if you are using a laptop in a desktop mode.

The key is that you only have one active monitor. The software will disable the second monitor otherwise. That’s the only tricky part really.

I assume you have a keyboard and a mouse too.

You are correct in the sense that we do not have any official confirmations from any users. However the lack of complaints and horror stories and or non-either, suggestion indicates to me that this is not an issue.
-B

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Sorry to hear about this issue. Super annoying.

Do you mind sharing about the requests that the proctor had? What did he want you to adjust? Why did you need to adjust it? He wanted to see something?

Hi hi
BB.

Sam169 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I took my online GMAT yesterday and in starting 10 minutes of Quant section , proctor messaged like 2 times to adjust the screen and asked if I didn't adjust as he asked me, he will revoke my test. I was not even moving my head and I am not sure but I adjusted my screen again and again as he wanted. Third time he gave me a ticket number saying that he is revoking it since it is my third warning. I got so panicked .. I requested again and again to not do that and finally after 13 minutes into the test he said sorry, there was some technical issue with his screen :( . I somehow completed my test but was very dishearten by this behavior.

In panic of completing the test, I didnt write that ticket number . I hvnt gotten my score yet but is this common ? I started panicking so much after this as this was starting few minutes of the test. I dont know what should I do now .

Hi bb,

Sorry for the late reply. He asked to keep my head in the center. He said my head my going out of the screen again and again but I am 100% it wasn't. It was bcoz of his screen or some other technical issue.

An update on this: I still haven't received my score. I have contacted Pearson Vue and came to know that they raised a case against this which has been resolved but due to that my account/scores have been put on hold.

I am really stressing out as I had to fill scores before ISB deadline 2 but ISB was considerate in taking a screenshot of test-taking before the 10th as proof for now. Although I am not sure how long this process take and ISB gave me 2-3 days to submit the GMAT. Am I really going to miss my Round 2 application because of this? Can someone pls reply what is the required action here?

Also I submitted the proof for my online exam as shown in attachment but ISB is still asking to submit the proof . IS there anything else that I can submit ?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry about this.... is it possible that ASB manually reviews these things and hasn’t processed yet? Or did it specifically say that they did not except your proof? Sorry I’m not very familiar with their process 😬

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 493
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Hey bb
Is there some sort of way to create a poll so that people can vote how long did it take for them to receive their GMAT onlien scores?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zenith0rigin wrote:
Hey bb
Is there some sort of way to create a poll so that people can vote how long did it take for them to receive their GMAT onlien scores?

Sure! Great idea!
Done: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-long-is- ... 45212.html

I will also add it to the first post here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
bb wrote:
stayfocused wrote:

Thanks all.

Welcome to GMaT Club!

I am pretty sure it is allowed and not an issue. There’s no way for GMAC to know if it’s a laptop or a desktop. Nor do they care if you are using a laptop in a desktop mode.

The key is that you only have one active monitor. The software will disable the second monitor otherwise. That’s the only tricky part really.

I assume you have a keyboard and a mouse too.

You are correct in the sense that we do not have any official confirmations from any users. However the lack of complaints and horror stories and or non-either, suggestion indicates to me that this is not an issue.
-B

BB - thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome. Agreed the lack of horror stories hopefully suggest that this isn't an issue.

Yes, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I think somebody mentioned earlier that they took the exam with a bluetooth mouse, so I reckon a wireless keyboard should be fine also.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree about the wireless mouse and keyboard. I don’t think it should be an issue. You probably won’t even use the keyboard :-)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
I agree about the wireless mouse and keyboard. I don’t think it should be an issue. You probably won’t even use the keyboard :-)

I personally find the online whiteboard quite helpful for RC notes :p Since I am a faster at typing than at writing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know whether a mousepad allowed? The desk that I am taking the test on isn't exactly mouse-friendly ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
by the way, does anyone know if GMAC is going to allow us to pick the order section soon?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Osqui800 wrote:
by the way, does anyone know if GMAC is going to allow us to pick the order section soon?

Unfortunately, there have been no indications about any new features being added to the GMAT online. This relates to the enhanced score report, additional retakes, and section order.
(by the way, I have shared some of my thoughts about the best section order for Test-center based test here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-what-orde ... 42633.html (and also suggestions to warm up for GMAT Online).

In part, this is due to GMAC treating GMAT online as a temporary product that has been rolled out on an emergency basis. It seems they are unwilling to invest time and money into it, especially at this point in time. It is possible, that should GMAT Online be made a permanent option, that some of those features would be added. However, chances of any updates this late in the lifespan of a temporary product for somewhat unlikely....

I am holding my fingers crossed but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: LBS '23 (S)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
serenayong wrote:
I scored 710 in the last gmatprep; I'm quite sure that I'll just be good enough to get 600+ in this gmat online. I think I got like majority hard questions (700 level).

The GMAT is an adaptive test, so it's usually when someone says that the test felt too easy that we should start worrying. If your test felt tough, that's normally a good sign.

Ajitesh - thanks.

well i just got my score...even though i was well prepared to get a 600+, it still shocked me a little that i got a 650 (Q49 V31):-(((( I was hoping for a 660 or above. I know that the main reason for the abysmal score is that I am still weak in time management in Verbal & had to guess for the last 10 Qs.
Anyway, I noticed that some people scored higher even with lower sectional scores. Eg: https://gmatclub.com/forum/660-to-770-i ... 26690.html where the student got a 660 (not online) based on Q49 & V30. Im guessing because the percentiles are different based on different test taker pools & some other algorithm? Please enlighten me if anyone knows.

I also felt that I had more jitters with the recording visible on screen and the anticipation of any comments from proctor & I became more aware of my posture, facial expression etc. Im wondering if i should retest in the test center instead. But I would much rather skip the AWA & wearing of mask for 3+ hours lol.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38 (Online)
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
This may have been mentioned already, but it now appears there are some available windows through early April to schedule a GMAT online. I haven't gotten any messaging/emails from GMAC regarding this, but looks like they might be extending again.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.51.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.51.19 PM.png [ 60.14 KiB | Viewed 2503 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just wrote the online test.
The switching between the whiteboard and the test interface is extremely laggy. My mac keeps going to the "disc" spinning and it would not allow me to select an answer / work on the whiteboard while that is happening.

So I just decided to use only my physical whiteboard, which was quite disappointing and affected my timing issue on verbal as I practiced the whiteboard quite a bit for the RC section.

When I submitted the quant section, I clicked next with 4 seconds left but it lagged again, and then directly prompted me into the Verbal section. Didn't get the 30 second break.

While I was connecting with the Proctor, after the check in partially, I got up to put away my phone, so I was standing when the Proctor was connected with my camera. And he asked me whether if everything is okay, "I saw that you were standing". I said I was just putting my phone away and he said okay, you may begin the exam now. Even though I connected with him at 150pm, and my scheduled test is 215pm.

Before the start of the exam, Once I connected with the Proctor, I chatted with the proctor asking to go to the washroom but he didn't allow me so, prompting me to begin the test.

Overall the test was fine, proctor didn't interrupt with me at all. But the verbal whiteboard and the no 30 second break threw me off. So probably was kind of off for the verbal section. Lost some time at the beginning.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
tydsheets wrote:
This may have been mentioned already, but it now appears there are some available windows through early April to schedule a GMAT online. I haven't gotten any messaging/emails from GMAC regarding this, but looks like they might be extending again.

Thanks so much for reporting on this. I have not seen an official announcement either but I guess we know what’s coming and what was coming all along :cool:

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
The overall GMAT score and sectional raw scores are calculated using different algorithms. That is the reason it is possible to get a combination and some variance in scores. That means you could get a strong 660 or a week 660 so to speak

serenayong wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
serenayong wrote:
I scored 710 in the last gmatprep; I'm quite sure that I'll just be good enough to get 600+ in this gmat online. I think I got like majority hard questions (700 level).

The GMAT is an adaptive test, so it's usually when someone says that the test felt too easy that we should start worrying. If your test felt tough, that's normally a good sign.

Ajitesh - thanks.

well i just got my score...even though i was well prepared to get a 600+, it still shocked me a little that i got a 650 (Q49 V31):-(((( I was hoping for a 660 or above. I know that the main reason for the abysmal score is that I am still weak in time management in Verbal & had to guess for the last 10 Qs.
Anyway, I noticed that some people scored higher even with lower sectional scores. Eg: https://gmatclub.com/forum/660-to-770-i ... 26690.html where the student got a 660 (not online) based on Q49 & V30. Im guessing because the percentiles are different based on different test taker pools & some other algorithm? Please enlighten me if anyone knows.

I also felt that I had more jitters with the recording visible on screen and the anticipation of any comments from proctor & I became more aware of my posture, facial expression etc. Im wondering if i should retest in the test center instead. But I would much rather skip the AWA & wearing of mask for 3+ hours lol.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  152   153   154   155   156  ...  183