GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 May 2019, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

760 with Q49 - complain about wait for notebook?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
760 with Q49 - complain about wait for notebook?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 13:05
Hi all

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following.

I sat the GMAT today, receiving an overall score of 760, Q49 and V44. Obviously, this is great and I'm very happy about it.

This is the bit where I risk sounding like a spoilt brat.

At one point during the quant section, I raised my hand to request a clean notebook, waving energetically at the security camera. After 6 or 7 minutes of waiting, I had to go bang on the windom before the guy, who in all other respects did his job perfectly, brought me a new one. (I write quite spacily and had warned him in advance I'd need a clean notebook halfway through.) I reckon this probably put me behind 4 or 5 minutes behind schedule, which worsened towards the end as I was pissed at the guy and not concentrating as well. I made educated guesses for the last six or so questions. It's hard to be certain, but I think if this hadn't happened I would have gotten a 50, and maybe a 51 on my test, based on recent CATs.

For clarification: I plan to apply, in a couple of years, to the top business schools. Most other parts of my CV are in order, except that I have nothing in my background to prove quant, so the Q49 is about as much as I can prove.

Basically, is there any chance that the distinction between a Q49 and a Q50 or Q51 is going to make any difference in getting in to Harvard? If there is, I'm thinking about requesting a resit, on the grounds that I was forced to waste time during the exam.

Thanks again, this forum has been a huge help in study over the past few months.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: 760 with Q49 - complain about wait for notebook?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 14:03
Depends on a number of factors, but the difference between a 760 and 770 (assuming you get the same Verbal score) is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Once you're over the average GMAT score for the M7, the rest of your application starts to matter a great deal more.

It sounds like you're not in finance right now and don't plan to make that a career switch, so I wouldn't sweat a 49 as being "bad" unless you're heavily relying on your GMAT score to pop out — i.e., you're from an overrepresented applicant pool with a mediocre GPA from a non-elite undergrad.
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 14:46
It's a fantastic score, but I can understand how that experience on test day would be frustrating. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to want your GMAT score to be a fair reflection of your abilities (and all the work you presumably put into your preparation), and not to be lower than you deserve only because of factors beyond your control.

I'm not sure what will happen if you request a resit - the only times I've heard of people requesting resits because of test day conditions, the conditions were so bad (computers shutting down for example) that the test taker would never have wanted to keep their test day score. If you request a resit, it sounds like you have legitimate grounds, but I don't know if they'll cancel your 760 or let you keep it. It's such a strong score that I think it would be worth keeping at least as a safety net. So if they proposed to cancel your original score and offer you a free resit, I think it would make more sense just to pay for the test again if you thought you had a good chance to do better. If they'll let you keep the score and resit, then that's not an issue, and then it just comes down to whether you have the time and inclination to go through it again.

All that said, airo is almost certainly right - I don't think improving your score will make any difference to your chances of admission to even the best schools, though that's a question you'd be better off directing to a good admissions consultant. Harvard has so many high scorers to choose from that their decision is normally going to come down to other factors.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 22:26
gmatxav wrote:
Hi all

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following.

I sat the GMAT today, receiving an overall score of 760, Q49 and V44. Obviously, this is great and I'm very happy about it.

This is the bit where I risk sounding like a spoilt brat.

At one point during the quant section, I raised my hand to request a clean notebook, waving energetically at the security camera. After 6 or 7 minutes of waiting, I had to go bang on the windom before the guy, who in all other respects did his job perfectly, brought me a new one. (I write quite spacily and had warned him in advance I'd need a clean notebook halfway through.) I reckon this probably put me behind 4 or 5 minutes behind schedule, which worsened towards the end as I was pissed at the guy and not concentrating as well. I made educated guesses for the last six or so questions. It's hard to be certain, but I think if this hadn't happened I would have gotten a 50, and maybe a 51 on my test, based on recent CATs.

For clarification: I plan to apply, in a couple of years, to the top business schools. Most other parts of my CV are in order, except that I have nothing in my background to prove quant, so the Q49 is about as much as I can prove.

Basically, is there any chance that the distinction between a Q49 and a Q50 or Q51 is going to make any difference in getting in to Harvard? If there is, I'm thinking about requesting a resit, on the grounds that I was forced to waste time during the exam.

Thanks again, this forum has been a huge help in study over the past few months.
I think you should tell Pearson about the loss of time. While I have seen cases where test takers were offered retakes (together with cancellation of the original score), this post indicates that Pearson also offers retakes without canceling the original attempt. I think you have a month in which to do this.

I suggest you get the process started so that you can retake the GMAT if necessary. If everything goes well, you'll have another attempt in hand, and that option can’t hurt. At a minimum, you’d have (possibly) helped future test takers if Pearson takes steps to stop this from happening again at that test center.

Congrats on the 760 :)
Re: 760 with Q49 - complain about wait for notebook?   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 22:26

760 with Q49 - complain about wait for notebook?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap