GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 11:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Got 520 now, previous score was 540

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Got 520 now, previous score was 540  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jan 2019, 19:35
Hi All,

I am an Indian, I wrote GMAT second time today after 3 years ,and got a score of 520. My previous score was 540. I prepared this time for over 4 months. I was extremely shocked to see my score as I got an average of 640 in GMAT PREP exams. I think, I am not fit for this exam or may be not smart enough to crack it. Please advise, whether I should retake or can I apply with a 520 score to some average b-schools in UK?

My Interests:
University of Edinburgh
Alliance Manchester Business School
Lancaster University

My profile
B.E. Computer Science (India) Gold medalist
M.S Computer Science (USA) 4.0 GPA
3- International Journals
12 years experience, currently working as a Software Architect in USA.

GMAT ATTEMPTS
1st Attempt : Quants : 38 Verbal : 25
2nd Attempt : Quants : 40 Verbal : 21

Originally posted by manian85 on 02 Jan 2019, 14:12.
Last edited by manian85 on 04 Jan 2019, 19:35, edited 9 times in total.
RC Moderator
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Got 520 now, previous score was 540  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 18:19
Hello manian85 ......welcome to the community.

540/520 are a bit low scores. I would definitely concentrate to move this northwards. I am not sure if there are any top schools that accommodate <600. So, I would get the ESRs, pinpoint my weak areas and work on them regularly and mindfully(for Q:why I am getting them wrong and for V: why the incorrect answers are wrong).

GMAT Club has plenty of resources. I would start with the post by bb:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml#p605856

I would try to forget about the past and go for a fresh start.

All the best !!
Read Only User
G
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 22:42
manian85 wrote:
Hi All,

I am an Indian, I wrote GMAT second time today after 3 years since last time and got a score of 520, my previous score was 540. I prepared this time for over 6 months. I was extremely shocked to see my score as I got an average of 640 in all my GMAT prep. I think, I am not fit for this exam or not smart enough to crack it. Please advise, whether I Should retake or can I apply to schools with 520 score

My profile
Undergrad Gold medalist
M.S Computer Science in USA with 4.0 GPA
12 years experience, currenlty working as a Software Architect.

Dear manian85
520 is not a bad score. what is your score split? V-?, Q-? IR-?, AWA-?
If you get your ESR and post GMATClub, experts will advise you based on your area low scored subsections.
If you focus on your weak topic and continue the same focus on strong topics, it is very much possible to crack the higher.
all the best.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 23:20
Hi manian85,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Earlier this year, the GMAT went through a format change (the Quant and Verbal sections were shortened), but the overall concepts/content of the Exam are still the same. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. With a 540 three years and a 520 now, these two results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 530 +/- a few points), meaning that you respond to the GMAT in the same ways as before. Before we discuss why you scored so much lower than how you were scoring on your CATs/mocks, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials did you use for this recent attempt?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your recent CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 23:56
manian85 wrote:
My profile
Undergrad Gold medalist

Hi manian85, your score definitely does not do justice to your academic exploits. It must have been a humbling experience.

As suggested by others, please give a peek into your preparation, your score breakup, and your areas of weakness.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 11:39
Hi manian85,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with the GMAT. First off, don’t sell yourself short. I’m certain that you are an intelligent person, and with the right study plan, you can knock the GMAT out of the park. Thus, if you are up for it, retaking the GMAT would be a good idea.

I’m happy to provide some further advice regarding your GMAT, but I’d first like to learn some more about you. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some detailed advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 19:17
akurathi12 wrote:
manian85 wrote:
Hi All,

I am an Indian, I wrote GMAT second time today after 3 years since last time and got a score of 520, my previous score was 540. I prepared this time for over 6 months. I was extremely shocked to see my score as I got an average of 640 in all my GMAT prep. I think, I am not fit for this exam or not smart enough to crack it. Please advise, whether I Should retake or can I apply to schools with 520 score

My profile
Undergrad Gold medalist

Dear manian85
520 is not a bad score. what is your score split? V-?, Q-? IR-?, AWA-?
If you get your ESR and post GMATClub, experts will advise you based on your area low scored subsections.
If you focus on your weak topic and continue the same focus on strong topics, it is very much possible to crack the higher.
all the best.

Aug 2015 : Quants : 38 Verbal : 25
Jan 2019 : Quants : 40 Verbal : 21
Did not prepare for all three years second attempt prepared for 3 months.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 18:10
I'm surprised to see an Indian test taker to score Q < 40
Generally ,It's not hard for an Asian college graduate to get a Q43,44 without any preparation ...at least that's my personal experience...
Remember that my maths was so rusty (had not touched maths for more than 15+ years) that i could barely remember any maths formulations ,and that it did not take much effort to reach around 48...from 48 to 50,51 takes some solid practice and good luck:)

My struggles with Q were mainly about English & basic concepts .... I picked up the basic concepts within a couple of days ,and improved Q vocabulary through working on problems.

It seems that your English is much better than mine . I don't see that you would struggle with understanding the questions.Obviously , you were a top student in school also....

It's really hard to comprehend your situation . Maybe you should consult some other Indian test takers . Indians know Indians the best.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Goizueta '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 18:47
It could have been nerves and anxiousness. Breathe and try it again

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 22:28
See rons videos.Will surely help to ease anxiety and also improve your concepts

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 11:32
newyork2012 wrote:
Generally ,It's not hard for an Asian college graduate to get a Q43,44 without any preparation ...at least that's my personal experience...
Remember that my maths was so rusty (had not touched maths for more than 15+ years) that i could barely remember any maths formulations ,and that it did not take much effort to reach around 48...from 48 to 50,51 takes some solid practice and good luck:)

My struggles with Q were mainly about English & basic concepts .... I picked up the basic concepts within a couple of days ,and improved Q vocabulary through working on problems.

It seems that your English is much better than mine . I don't see that you would struggle with understanding the questions.Obviously , you were a top student in school also....

It's really hard to comprehend your situation . Maybe you should consult some other Indian test takers . Indians know Indians the best.

You are right, in all my four GMAT Prep tests I got Quants (44,47,48,48). I was very shocked to see a 40 in my exam. Really don't understand what's happening with me on test days.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 02:41
Perfect practice makes perfect
Find the right approach ,and you will get there

manian85 wrote:
newyork2012 wrote:

You are right, in all my four GMAT Prep tests I got Quants (44,47,48,48). I was very shocked to see a 40 in my exam. Really don't understand what's happening with me on test days.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Got 520 now, previous score was 540   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 02:41

Got 520 now, previous score was 540

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics