Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3451 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: HELP: Low Quant score and rushing through the questions [#permalink]
Kudos
kento22 wrote:
I have been preparing for the GMAT for about 3 months now, while working full-time. I more often than not study at night after dinner, because of my long work schedule. After this time, I have finally finished all the materials and done quite a few exercises for each of the Strategy Guides from Manhattan Prep.

Yesterday, I decided to take a mock test (test #1 in the official GMAC website) to see whether I was ready to take the real exam. I scored well in Verbal (V42, 96 pctl) which is the part I’ve prepared for the least. However, I was shocked to see that my Quant score was REALLY low even though I know the material, and I finished in about 75% of the allotted time for the section. I thought I had performed well because I knew how to solve most of the questions and ended up way before the timer ran out of time.
My impression is that I rush too much on Quant questions because I fear running out of time (2 min/question) and end up falling on traps or making careless errors.

Any advice on how to tackle this problem would be really appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Hi kento22,

This is a very common problem that students face in Quants, Nervousness and Silly mistakes.

Few reasons can be overlooking, lack of concentration, anxiety, not having in depth knowledge of theory, using substitution methods & solving approach for DS.

Few suggestions:
1. Get the theory part absolutely in place. Most importantly Number properties, word problems where most people do silly mistakes

2. Avoid substitution methods completely. It’s hard to get a good score with substitution methods

3. DS: Make sure you always check for few points in DS questions
a. Whether integer is mentioned or not
b. Check for properties such as 0<x<1 and x>1
c. Remember lowest value of x^2 is 0 and NOT positive.
d. If you have to substitute in DS, don’t forget to check for positive, negative and at 0.

4. Don’t start solving when a question pops up on the screen. Allow yourself few seconds to understand the question and which concept you are going to use.

5. Do timed practise. Select 31 questions (16 DS, 15 PS) and try finishing in 62 minutes. You have to do the first 10 questions correct to touch high level questions. Get your practise in the exam mode once you’re theory is done with.

Hope it helps.
All the best.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kento22,

Many Test Takers face pacing issues in the Quant section, the Verbal section or both - but it's important to remember that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. Before we discuss what is likely causing those issues, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you described?
3) On this initial CAT, what was your Quant Scaled Score and Overall Score?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
Send PM
Thank you very much to everyone who replied. Your replies were very insightful. It looks like the issue is quite common, and I have a lot more clarity on how to tackle it.

EMPOWERgmatRichC, regarding your questions:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week? 1*5 (weekdays) + 6*2 (weekends) = 17 hours.
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you described? Not really. Only Manhattan Prep + OG.
3) On this initial CAT, what was your Quant Scaled Score and Overall Score? V42 (96th pctl), Q29 (16th pctl). Overall = 590. I did all the Quant questions the day after and realised I had made very silly mistakes in all of them. I got all of them right except 3 for which I didn't know the answer.

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score? 730+
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? No later than 12/2019
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School? 12/2019.
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to? LBS, Oxford Saïd
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kento22,

To start, a V42 is an outstanding Verbal Scaled Score, so if you can consistently score at that level, then you could potentially score well into the 700s - assuming that you hone the necessary Tactical skills for the Quant section. That having been said, raising a 590 to the point that you can consistently score 730+ will likely require at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You'll have to be really efficient with your studies going forward to lock in that type of GMAT Score - and work on your applications - in the timeframe that you've described.

Based on the information that you have provided, your studies have been 'book heavy' so far; unfortunately, many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. From your review of this CAT, your content knowledge for the Quant section is probably fine, so your focus going forward should be on Tactics, patterns and the little 'secrets' of the Quant section. While you might be able to hone all of those skills on your own, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?
2) Relative to how you've been studying so far, will you have the same general amount of study time each week going forward?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot