GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Help needed to come up with a study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Help needed to come up with a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 22:43
Hi all,

I am new the forum and looking through things and I have got to know about few things but I need help with coming up with a study plan.
I gave one of the official gmat practice test to see where I stand and how much work I need to put in. I score really poorly. Following is the score
Total score 540 Percentile 39
IR 2 Percentile 12
Quant 37 Percentile 34
Verbal 27 Percentile 47

I gave this test with zero preparation and I mainly struggled with questions due to silly mistakes and I had forgotten few concepts as I am not in touch with this type of content from few years.

I have access to most of the books suggested by the people on the forum but I am not sure how I can go through everything given the time constraint as I am appearing for exam by mid December 2019. I cannot change
the date due to admission deadline constraints.

My target score is: 730

So, what kind of practice can help me achieve the target score. I can put in the working hours as I am free till the exam time so study hours are not a constraint.

Currently, I have started with the Foundation of GMAT Math to refresh my knowledge.

Thanks
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Help needed to come up with a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 23:35
mur282 wrote:
Hi all,

I am new the forum and looking through things and I have got to know about few things but I need help with coming up with a study plan.
I gave one of the official gmat practice test to see where I stand and how much work I need to put in. I score really poorly. Following is the score
Total score 540 Percentile 39
IR 2 Percentile 12
Quant 37 Percentile 34
Verbal 27 Percentile 47

I gave this test with zero preparation and I mainly struggled with questions due to silly mistakes and I had forgotten few concepts as I am not in touch with this type of content from few years.

I have access to most of the books suggested by the people on the forum but I am not sure how I can go through everything given the time constraint as I am appearing for exam by mid December 2019. I cannot change
the date due to admission deadline constraints.

My target score is: 730

So, what kind of practice can help me achieve the target score. I can put in the working hours as I am free till the exam time so study hours are not a constraint.

Currently, I have started with the Foundation of GMAT Math to refresh my knowledge.

Thanks

Hi,
Welcome to Gmatclub. 540 in the first mock with no practice is not bad. It's normal that you made some silly mistakes and forgot concepts. You got a month to prepare and get your desired score. It will not be easy to get 190 score improvement in 1 month and hence, you need to work smartly and efficiently. You need to prepare for both the sections equally. I suggest you to check out the study plan: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html . Choose the books/courses carefully and try giving 2 mocks every week for first 2-3 weeks. On the last week before your official exams, give more mocks. I will highly recommend Official GMAT prep exams (1-6), GMAT club tests (to test you for Q50-51). Make an error log and analyze every question you do correct/incorrect.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 00:26
sjas31 wrote:
Hi,
Welcome to Gmatclub. 540 in the first mock with no practice is not bad. It's normal that you made some silly mistakes and forgot concepts. You got a month to prepare and get your desired score. It will not be easy to get 190 score improvement in 1 month and hence, you need to work smartly and efficiently. You need to prepare for both the sections equally. I suggest you to check out the study plan: gmatclub_com/forum/gmat-study-plan-217827.html . Choose the books/courses carefully and try giving 2 mocks every week for first 2-3 weeks. On the last week before your official exams, give more mocks. I will highly recommend Official GMAT prep exams (1-6), GMAT club tests (to test you for Q50-51). Make an error log and analyze every question you do correct/incorrect.

Thanks for the response. Are there any books that you can suggest? I am planning on doing the Foundation of GMAT Math and the complete Manhattan guide with the official guide as well. Moreover, I plan to work use PowerScore CR and Aristotle SC and RC but I am not sure if the time would permit that. Anything I could skip from these books which might just be repetitive. Moreover, which mock tests are worth spending the money on?
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 05:10
following
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 07:24
mur282 wrote:
Thanks for the response. Are there any books that you can suggest? I am planning on doing the Foundation of GMAT Math and the complete Manhattan guide with the official guide as well. Moreover, I plan to work use PowerScore CR and Aristotle SC and RC but I am not sure if the time would permit that. Anything I could skip from these books which might just be repetitive. Moreover, which mock tests are worth spending the money on?

Hi,
The books you suggested are enough considering the time left for preparation. You must finish the OG and analyze its every question.
Mocks: MUST - Official Mocks (1-6), reset and do them twice at least. Others: Veritas (with the Gmatclub premium bundle) or separate, Manhattan, etc.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 17:34
Hi mur282,

To start, a 540 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). That having been said, raising a 540 to the point that you can consistently score 730+ will likely require at least 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

While I understand that you want to apply for the upcoming application Round, the type of improvement that you're after - in such a short period of time - is likely too difficult to be considered realistic. There's no harm in taking the GMAT in mid-December, but you would almost certainly end up having to pay to retake it again later, so you might want to consider adjusting your plans so that you have a better chance at hitting your Score Goal.

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What are the exact application deadlines that you're facing?
3) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 18:33
Hi mur282,

540 with zero prep is actually not a bad start. That said, improving 190 points in just one month is a pretty tall order, so although there is no harm in trying, you likely will need more time to hit your goal score. In any case, would you like some general advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills? You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

How Long Should I Study for the GMAT?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
Help needed to come up with a study plan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Nov 2019, 02:02
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mur282,

To start, a 540 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). That having been said, raising a 540 to the point that you can consistently score 730+ will likely require at least 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

While I understand that you want to apply for the upcoming application Round, the type of improvement that you're after - in such a short period of time - is likely too difficult to be considered realistic. There's no harm in taking the GMAT in mid-December, but you would almost certainly end up having to pay to retake it again later, so you might want to consider adjusting your plans so that you have a better chance at hitting your Score Goal.

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What are the exact application deadlines that you're facing?
3) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?

Rich

Hi,

Answer 1: I want to apply for PhD programs in Business information System specialty. Few of the universities I am applying would be Purdue University, Carnegie Melon, University of Illinois at Chicago, Penn State, Michigan State University

Answer 2: The deadline start from around 3 Jan and moving towards 15 January or later

Answer 3: 700+

Originally posted by mur282 on 13 Nov 2019, 01:44.
Last edited by mur282 on 13 Nov 2019, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 01:48
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi mur282,

540 with zero prep is actually not a bad start. That said, improving 190 points in just one month is a pretty tall order, so although there is no harm in trying, you likely will need more time to hit your goal score. In any case, would you like some general advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills? You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

blog.targettestprep_com/how-to-score-a-700-on-gmat/]How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

blog.targettestprep_com/gmat-preparation-time/]How Long Should I Study for the GMAT?

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. I have willing to put in the hours and due to admission deadline constraints I cannot delay it any further. I realize I am short on time but I wanted to ask if people have done it? Made such improvements in this limited time.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2019, 20:52
Hi mur282,

The PhD application process tends to be a bit more 'rigorous' than the MBA application process is - since there tends to be a small group of highly qualified applicants competing for a relatively small number of PhD 'slots.' As such, beyond having a strong GMAT Score, you'll need a strong OVERALL profile and you'll need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program that you apply to. By extension, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans (so that we can get a clearer sense of the type of GMAT Score that you might "need" to be considered a competitive Applicant). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Even with a Score Goal of 700+, you would likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study time to earn that type of Score.

1) What is the latest application Rounds for each of the Schools that you are interested in?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2019, 08:35
mur282 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your advise. I have willing to put in the hours and due to admission deadline constraints I cannot delay it any further. I realize I am short on time but I wanted to ask if people have done it? Made such improvements in this limited time.

Hi mur282,

I don’t want to say it’s an impossible task; however, you very likely will need more time to improve by 190 points.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
122 Reviews

self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 02:29
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
mur282 wrote:
Hi,

Hi mur282,

I don’t want to say it’s an impossible task; however, you very likely will need more time to improve by 190 points.

Thanks for the input. Really appreciated!
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 19:38
Sure thing!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
122 Reviews

self study course

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help needed to come up with a study plan   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2019, 19:38

Help needed to come up with a study plan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k