Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How to overcome stagnancy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   Verbal   
Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: IIMA , WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge
How to overcome stagnancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 13:30
I have been preparing for more than 18 months.
My score is stagnated at around 640. Please suggest ways to break the stagnancy.
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: How to overcome stagnancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2020, 00:25
KaranB1 - At a 640 level, you are left with only a handful of concepts to master. At this point, you just need to practice more and review each and every question. Focus a lot of your prep time on doing test review by voraciously looking for weak areas and then improving on them one-by-one. The more you look, the more weaknesses you will find. For instance, you should be getting a lot of Probability questions incorrect, or taking too long to solve RC questions. Perhaps you may have gotten a string of incorrect questions, resulting in a steep drop in score. In short, you need to review your tests and find patterns.

Please note that your post is more suited for the Ask GMAT Experts forum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-gmat-experts-156/

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
GMATWhiz Representative
G
Re: How to overcome stagnancy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2020, 03:58
Hi KaranB1. Let me share my thoughts with you.

Since you have been preparing for 18 months now, I'm pretty sure that you're familiar with most of the concepts. So, clearly concepts are not a problem for you. The score range of 600-650 is somewhere most people see a plateau mainly because they are unable to consistently get the hard questions right. Let us understand what does this score signify.

Root-cause

What is happening in your case is that when the Algorithm serves you easy and medium difficulty questions, you get them right. No problems there. However, the moment the algorithm starts serving you hard questions, your accuracy starts to dwindle. Because of this you're unable to get a good number of questions right in a streak and unless you get questions right back to back, the difficulty level won't go up. It would mostly go back to medium difficulty level questions and hence you see your score stagnating around 640.

What's the solution

Now when in this scenario most students follow a simple approach that is Solve tons of hard 700 level questions. Clearly this isn't working. The reason it doesn't work or takes a lot of time to work is because the main reason why you don't the hard question right is that there is something missing in how you approach these questions. Unless you change your approach, practising tons of questions isn't going to help.

So the most important thing for you should be to focus on learning the right strategies for question solving and then going through the grind of practising questions. If you would like to discuss the strategies that you currently follow and get some advice on which strategies you should actually follow, you can schedule a discussion with me using this link

Hope this gives you a new perspective of looking at your preparation. :)

Regards,
Piyush Beriwala
GMAT Strategy Consultant
GMAT 740 (Q50, V41)

GMAT Prep truly Personalized using Technology

Prepare from an application driven course that serves real-time improvement modules along with a well-defined adaptive study plan. Start a free trial to experience it yourself and get access to 25 videos and 300 GMAT styled questions.

Helpful Links

Score Improvement Strategy: How to score Q50+ on GMAT | 5 steps to Improve your Verbal score
Study Plan Articles: 3 mistakes to avoid while preparing | How to create a study plan? | The Right Order of Learning | Importance of Error Log
Helpful Quant Strategies: Filling Spaces Method | Avoid Double Counting in P&C | The Art of Not Assuming anything in DS | Number Line Method
Key Verbal Techniques: Plan-Goal Framework in CR | Quantifiers the tiny Game-changers | Countable vs Uncountable Nouns | Tackling Confusing Words in Main Point
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to overcome stagnancy   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2020, 03:58

How to overcome stagnancy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics