Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Huge difference in score of mocks and actual gmat [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi shivani259,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Obviously, taking CATs in the 'old' format is a significant issue (but each of the companies that made those CATs has created updated CATs in the current, shorter format). Beyond that issue though, if you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of those CATs?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Please find below the replies for the questions asked:
What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of those Cats?
I used to get (on an average) Q49 and V35

2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
I used to take just the quant and verbal portion, not ir and awa

3) Did you take them at home?
I took those at a test center

4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
Yes, my exam time was 12:30 and I used to take my mocks at 12-12:30

5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
Nope

6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?
Yes,because official mocks gives repetitive question once you reset them

Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also I believe that Gmat has become tougher as compared to the previous format exams (before the timing got reduced). Also, the official mocks were way too easy and was in no sense similar to real Gmat. I am now confused about what material to choose which could mimic the real Gmat

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30785 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shivani259

The score fluctuation that you have experienced are definitely worth delving into however you must not be demotivated. Consider this to be an eye-opener for you to realize what you must work upon and get to a better score. One of the possible reasons for this fluctuation in your scores in your tests could be that you are strong in certain topics/concepts and weak in others. When the concepts that you are strong in are tested you do better however if you encounter topics you are weak in you falter.

Way Forward

You must spend some time in evaluating your ESR. Additionally, you must follow the below mentioned steps:
    1. Evaluate topic level weaknesses by taking Ability Quizzes
    2. Isolate weak topics (Go to Skill data sections)
    3. Improve upon them
You may also check our article on Personalized Study Plans for 100+ Score Improvement to create a study plan for yourself. In the article we cover the steps in detail. You will also get sample plans which you can adapt to your situation – one of the sample plans is for a 150-points score improvement (600 to 750) which I think you would find helpful. Please note that it is a sample plan and you may not be able to use it directly. You must create your own plan using those principles. In case you face any difficulty, write to us at support@e-gmat.com. We’d be more than happy to help.

Regards,
Aditee
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shivani259,

I’m sorry to hear about how things went with your GMAT. I’m here to help you get on the right path to an improved GMAT score.

When analyzing the discrepancy between your practice test scores and your GMAT score, it’s
possible that nerves got the best of you on test day; however, it’s also possible that some of your weaknesses were exposed when you took the GMAT. In other words, it could be that in your preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high, but rather you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests.

To hit your GMAT score goal, you probably have to go through GMAT quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. Let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of Critical Reasoning questions: strengthen and weaken the argument, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. As you go through the questions, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get correct. If you missed a weaken question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize what the question was asking? Did you skip over a key detail in an answer choice? Getting GMAT verbal questions right is a matter of what you know, what you see, and what you do. So, any time that you don't get one right, you can seek to identify what, if anything, you would have needed to know in order to get the right answer, what you had to see that you didn't see, and what you could have done differently to arrive at the correct answer.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
shivani259 wrote:
Hi experts,

Yesterday i got the biggest shock of my life after i gave my GMAT exam today and saw a score of 600 on the screen. Q 44 V 29.
While giving the exam, i figured this was no way closer to the official GMAT mocks. I think the original exam was tougher with long RCs and tough quant.
Even my GMAT TEST PREP 6 score was 680 which i gave just day before yesterday and that was the first time i gave it without any repetition of questions.
Although the GMAT test prep is still following the old format, and the exam is as per the new format, still i cant really assess the reason of such a vast difference in score. The mocks result is as below:

GMAT TEST PREP 1: 720
GMAT TEST PREP 2: 660
GMAT TEST PREP 3: 700
GMAT TEST PREP 4: 600
GMAT TEST PREP 5: 670
GMAT TEST PREP 6: 680
Manhattan Free Mock:670
Kaplan Free Mock:700
GMAT Club Free Mock: 670

Now i am in a fix as i do not know in which direction i have to go as all the tests that are available online are as per the old format.

I do not know what went wrong and how do i correct the same. Please advice.

Three possibilities:

1. This was a total fluke that happened for no reason. (In other words, it was pure luck.) That's unlikely, since you scored higher very consistently on your practice tests, and you took quite a few practice tests.

2. Something made your practice tests easier than your official test. For example:
- You took extra breaks during your practice tests
- You had already seen some of the problems
- The longer format is easier for you

3. Something made your official test harder than your practice tests. For example:
- You felt nervous about taking an official test
- You didn't sleep well the night before
- You decided not to guess on as many problems on your official test

Does any of that seem right?

Also, the MPrep practice tests are now all in the new format. If you buy the practice test pack, they'll all be in the shorter format, with the same timing and number of questions as the official test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
I just took the first prep test at MBA.com and I felt the questions were surprisingly easy. I scored a 700 with almost no preparation. Reading your post confirms my suspicions.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shivani259,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes/questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Hi

I have my exam in 3 days. Following are my scores in the past month:

Veritas Prep- 700 (35V,51Q)
GMATprep 1 - 710 (38V,49Q)
MGMAT- 650 (35V,44Q)
GMATprep 5 - 710 (37V,49Q)- 3 days back
GMATPrep 6 - 680 (38V,46Q)- Given today

Can anyone tell me what should I expect in actual GMAT?

Thank you
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
niyatibansal wrote:
Hi

MGMAT- 650 (35V,44Q)

Thank you

Don't expect anything...just go blank slate and give your best shot. This will make you feel relaxed and you will be focus on the exam rather than the desired score.

All the best!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
niyatibansal wrote:
Hi

MGMAT- 650 (35V,44Q)

Thank you

Hi,

In the last 3 days try to keep yourself fresh for the exam. If you have short notes like Quant formula's or SC Rules try to revise it once before the exam. Do not take any more mock tests in 2 days leading upto exam.

If time permits, try to read the posts about how to prepare for Test day which you can find in this forum.

All the very best for your exam.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
niyatibansal wrote:
Hi

MGMAT- 650 (35V,44Q)

Thank you

How was your exam? Pls share your debrief. If you have still not appeared for GMAT then wishing you all the very best!!
GMAT Club Bot