GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 18 Jan 2020, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 317
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 02:38
3
36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:47) correct 49% (01:39) wrong based on 333 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day.
(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60480
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2014, 06:46
18
8
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day --> 0.4*1030 grains are submerged twice or more. Not sufficient,

(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day. This imply that the remaining 45%, so 0.45*1030 grains, ARE submerged exactly once a day. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have that 45% are submerged exactly once and 40% are submerged twice or more. Therefore, 45% + 40% = 85% are submerged at least once (once ore more). Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2014
Posts: 135
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 08:50
9
1
I think I´ve come up with an alternative approach that could help you "visualize" this problem better.

There are 1030 grains, of which can be divided into 3 groups:
a- Submerged 0 times a day
b- Submerged only 1 time a day
c- Submerged 2 or more times a day

Question Stem
- Equation Given: a + b + c = 1030
- Question asked: b + c = ?
In summary, you have 3 variables and 1 equation

Statement 1

c = (0.4)1030
Insufficient

Statement 2
a + c = (0.55)1030
Insufficient

When you combine statements 1 and 2 plus the information given in the question stem, you yield 3 variables and 3 equations and hence you can solve.
Correct Answer = C
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2015
Posts: 4
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 12:04
I have a doubt here

The question asks ...at least once a day...

i.e. number of grains per day submerged >= 1

S1 says - 40% number of grains per day submerged >=2

Why can't we answer the question by S1 only because if a grain is submerged twice then it would have submerged once also.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60480
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 12:15
shahrukh0603 wrote:
I have a doubt here

The question asks ...at least once a day...

i.e. number of grains per day submerged >= 1

S1 says - 40% number of grains per day submerged >=2

Why can't we answer the question by S1 only because if a grain is submerged twice then it would have submerged once also.


You are missing the percentage of grains that was submerged exactly once.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 305
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 04:53
Bunuel

in S2
ARE submerged exactly once a day
hence it is not suff - as the question asks at-least once a day?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60480
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 08:05
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Posts: 141
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: Cambridge"19 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 20:33
JusTLucK04 wrote:
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day.
(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day.



1) 40%=>2
60%<=1

All 60% could be 1, all 60% could be 0. Insuff.

2) 45%=1
55% not 1. The 55% could all be 2, or the 55% could all be 0. Insuff.

1) & 2)

40%=>2
60%<=1

And if 45%=1, then 15%=0.
45%+40%=85%.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 17
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 03:32
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day.
2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day.


Explanation needed please!
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60480
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 03:37
1
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Posts: 28
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 04:24
Bunuel wrote:
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day --> 0.4*1030 grains are submerged twice or more. Not sufficient,

(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day. This imply that the remaining 45%, so 0.45*1030 grains, ARE submerged exactly once a day. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have that 45% are submerged exactly once and 40% are submerged twice or more. Therefore, 45% + 40% = 85% are submerged at least once (once ore more). Sufficient.

Answer: C.



Brunnel, if the question asked , what percent of sand is not submerged at all. Then also the answer could be C right?

So

(1) gives me at least twice. So, >=2.

(2) gives me Not submerged exactly once a day: comprising of No submerge & >=2.

so, 0.55-0.4=0.15.

Is this a correct ?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60480
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 04:38
SOUMYAJIT_ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day --> 0.4*1030 grains are submerged twice or more. Not sufficient,

(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day. This imply that the remaining 45%, so 0.45*1030 grains, ARE submerged exactly once a day. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have that 45% are submerged exactly once and 40% are submerged twice or more. Therefore, 45% + 40% = 85% are submerged at least once (once ore more). Sufficient.

Answer: C.



Brunnel, if the question asked , what percent of sand is not submerged at all. Then also the answer could be C right?

So

(1) gives me at least twice. So, >=2.

(2) gives me Not submerged exactly once a day: comprising of No submerge & >=2.

so, 0.55-0.4=0.15.

Is this a correct ?


Yes. We got that 45% + 40% = 85% are submerged at least once (once ore more), thus 15% are not submerged at all.
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 727
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 06:43
A very good question but very confusing due to the language of the question.. once can think submerged as the sand is submerged and gone into the sea.. SO the question should have clarified that the sand which is submerged remains there and is liable to be submerged again ..
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 87
Reviews Badge
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 23:25
JusTLucK04 wrote:
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day.
(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day.



for this question we need to carry the information that two tides happen a day. I got stumped as I thought that the grains can submerge more than three times also.
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 25 Dec 2018
Posts: 560
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2019, 22:18
JusTLucK04 wrote:
If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of these grains of sand are submerged by the ocean at least once a day?

(1) 40% of the grains of sand are submerged at least twice a day.
(2) 55% of the grains of sand are not submerged exactly once a day.


Official solution


Solution: C

We can solve this problem with either of the following equations: (Once per day) + (Twice or more per day) OR (All) – (Zero per day).

Statement (1) tells us that 40% of the grains are submerged 2+ times per day, so 60% are submerged either zero times per day or once per day, but we can’t break those groups up any further; INSUFFICIENT.
Statement (2) tells us that 55% of the grains of sand are submerged either zero times per day or 2+ times per day, but we can’t break those groups up either; INSUFFICENT.

Together, 40% are 2+, 15% are 0, and 45% are 1 per day. Therefore a full 85% are submerged at least once per day, and the correct response is (C).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2019, 22:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If there are 1030 grains of sand on Playa de Sonrisa, how many of thes

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne