Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 04:33 It is currently 08 May 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 631 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 631 [1]
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello Varshini969

IIMs will evaluate your profile on four factors-
1) Academic Potential- checks the box with decent past scores, but the GMAT score is equally (if not more) important. An estimated score will further help assess your chances as with an IT background you will need an above par score to stand out.
2) Work ex- While you have a strong brand on the CV, none of the information shared sheds any light on career progression or achievements. There will be several candidates with your background, how does your work ex stand out via the story you tell in the essays and interviews will make all the difference.
3) Diversity- Software background makes it difficult to stand out as you belong to the largest and most competitive pool of IT applicants. A couple of extracurricular activities look good though. Toastmasters is a B school favorite but you need to showcase accomplishments/impact here. Keep in mind that school/university activities do not add much weight unless the achievements are stellar and still relevant. To conclude, we need to identify any qualities/traits/life experiences that can help us prove to the school that you will be a great addition to the class and help add value to the experience of your batchmates inside and outside the classroom.
4) Career goals- ISB is looking for leaders with a clear and realistic vision of their career and you seem to have goals that are organic and one of the most sought after post MBA, only need to weave it with your past experience and showcase why now is the best time.

Apart from scoring a 720+ on the GMAT, what is crucial from here is strong presentation of your narrative weaving together your past experience with your future goals.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
+91-8452954888 (WApp for quick response)

Varshini969 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please evaluate my profile:

Indian - General -Female

10th - 94.8%
12th - 96.3%
Btech - Instrumentation (8.03)
Total work experience - 5 years
Worked for 4 years in Cognizant as Quality Analyst. Work related to testing Investment bank application.
Currently working in TCS since 1 year as automation tester.

Extracurricular: Cultural coordinator during btech for Department fest.
Toastmaster since 5 months
Spoc of csr activities in TCS.

GMAT: planning to give exam in the last week of june.
Target bschools: All IIM's one year full time MBA.
Post MBA goals: Product Manager

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi experts,

Please evaluate my profile:

Indian - General - Male

10th - 91.2%
12th - 92%
Btech - Mechanical (8.5/10) - Tier 2 Central Govt College

Total work experience - 4+ years
2 Yrs - Design engineer, EPC company - power sector,
(significant client interactions; support to sales teams, coordination with PM teams post order confirmation)
Current (2+ Yrs) - Project manager, digital transformation, manufacturing company

Extracurricular - Nothing significant

GMAT: planning to take
Target Bschools: IIM A&B 1-Yr MBAs

Kindly suggest what can be done to make my profile stronger and more competitive

Thanks in advance !!
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello Spectre26

Without an expected GMAT score, very tough to comment on your chances.
Details shared on work ex tell very little as there is lack of quantitative details (such as career progression, international exposure, achievements or even brands on the CV) and makes it difficult to say whether this will be a stand out strength.
Considering lack of extracurricular activities and one of the most sought after post MBA goals, your Diversity factor seems low. Is there any trait/quality/experience that can help you prove that you will be a good addition to the class and will be able to add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom?
In absence of such details all I can say is go for a high GMAT score (730+) and really work on a narrative that makes you stand out in the large and competitive pool of engineering applicants that aspire to become product managers after MBA.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888 (WA message for a quicker response)
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

Spectre26 wrote:
Hi experts,

Indian - General - Male

10th - 91.2%
12th - 92%

(significant client interactions; support to sales teams, coordination with PM teams post order confirmation)
Current (2+ Yrs) - Project manager, digital transformation, manufacturing company

Kindly suggest what can be done to make my profile stronger and more competitive

Thanks in advance !!

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Varshini969 wrote:
Hi,

Indian - General -Female

10th - 94.8%
12th - 96.3%
Worked for 4 years in Cognizant as Quality Analyst. Work related to testing Investment bank application.

Hey Varshini969,

You've certainly made a splash academically, showcasing consistent dedication and brilliance. Pair that with your enriching work experience at Cognizant and TCS, where you've dived into significant projects and delivered tangible results, you're on the right track! Your involvement as a cultural coordinator and a Toastmaster further spices up your profile, amplifying your leadership and communication skills.

Next up is the GMAT. Keep aiming high and prepare thoroughly to secure a strong score, the IIMs would appreciate that. Your desire to become a Product Manager resonates well with your background. Just remember to articulate your motivations and the unique value you'd bring to this role.

Your leadership role in CSR activities at TCS and other instances where you’ve directed key projects, solved complex problems, and influenced change are all golden opportunities to demonstrate your impact. For instance, perhaps you led an automation testing project that enhanced efficiency by 30% or you mentored junior testers in your team to become proficient. Don't forget to highlight these moments.

Craft your essays with a personal touch, connecting your past achievements, present pursuits, and future goals to form a compelling narrative. Secure strong recommendation letters, they're like your secret sauce, affirming your growth potential. And finally, remember your profile is a jigsaw puzzle; every piece must fit together to present a comprehensive, vibrant picture of you.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,
Two suggestions in addition to the GMAT scores:
1. Get some extracurriculars. A well rounded personality is a plus for MBA applications.
Sharing some options here -
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/shruti-p ... er_android

2. Research the goals well. Are you referring to product management roles in the tech industry? If yes, then you can check a few job descriptions of your target roles and identify the skill gaps if any. It's a good idea to build new skills as required.

All the best 👍

Spectre26 wrote:
Hi experts,

Indian - General - Male

10th - 91.2%
12th - 92%

Thanks in advance !!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
GMAT 1: 400 Q34 V13
GPA: 3.04
Send PM
Hi experts,

Indian - General - FEMALE

10th - 70%
12th - 65%
B.Sc - Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Microbiology (7.2/10) - State Govt. College
M.Sc.- Microbiology(7.5/10)

Worked in a Biologics Firm, especially dealt with Covid Vaccine Production and Cancer biosimilar production.
Helped in formulation of Drug and its Efficacy. Dealing with Regulatory Affair team for the release of Drug in Market.

Extracurricular - Like researching about Stocks and also a passive Investor/Trading

Target Bschools: IIM B,C,I and K,ISB 1-Yr MBAs
Post MBA goals: Strategy Management, Finance Management, Marketing Management.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Priyankajaismali wrote:
Hi experts,

10th - 70%
12th - 65%
B.Sc - Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Microbiology (7.2/10) - State Govt. College

Worked in a Biologics Firm, especially dealt with Covid Vaccine Production and Cancer biosimilar production.
Helped in formulation of Drug and its Efficacy. Dealing with Regulatory Affair team for the release of Drug in Market.

Extracurricular - Like researching about Stocks and also a passive Investor/Trading

Hi Priyankajaismali hope this finds you well. You have a very interesting work background.

I gather from your profile that you worked in formulation but were more oriented towards the development to production rollout aspects, which is great because it gives you the opportunity to speak about your ability to work under a high-pressure environment where you are likely to coordinate with a plethora of stakeholders at all levels (from leadership to marketing to manufacturing - all those who have a vested interest in having the production on time). Definitely take advantage of your unique positioning to create a strong leadership narrative.

Industry focus - Since you are considering a 1-year MBA, your post-MBA industry will most likely also be pharma/healthcare (although you did not mention). Candidates who exhibit a strong understanding of their industry, supported by extensive reading, research, and hands-on experience, stand out. In your essays and interviews, delve into your industry's future trends, challenges, or emerging approaches. For instance, identify a problem you may have observed at close quarters in pharma/biopharma in India and discuss strategies to achieve a sustainable solution. Engage the adcom in a captivating vision that highlights your expertise in your area.

Goals Research - Your post-MBA goals are a bit all over the place at the moment.

Strategy Consulting with a tier 1 consulting company like MBB with a focus on Big Pharma/Healthcare in a few years' time (if you start as a generalist) would make a more realistic goal. This would give you a hands-on opportunity to work with a number of industry leaders in an area where you would like to focus on in the long term (for example you could ask for specialization in marketing after a few years as a generalist).

Marketing Management for pharma/biopharma is usually related to patient centricity and involves conducting marketing activities to ensure better patient treatment experiences. Applicants who have prior experience working closely in a market research role with caregivers (such as in ZS consulting) are strong candidates for projects in the market positioning of therapies/treatments in biopharma/pharma. Tier-1 consulting companies are again a great place to gain exposure to market research and positioning projects in pharma/biopharma. These profiles can eventually transition into strategic marketing roles in biotechnology companies or pivot to a large pharma company as a Patient Engagement Leads, where they work on enhancing patient-centricity.

I am intrigued why you did not mention IIM A in your school list. You would be a great fit for IIM A PGPX. But do focus on getting a solid 720+.

Feel free to reach out for a candid discussion.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
GMAT 1: 400 Q34 V13
GPA: 3.04
Send PM
MBAGuide wrote:
Priyankajaismali wrote:
Hi experts,

10th - 70%
12th - 65%

Hi Priyankajaismali hope this finds you well. You have a very interesting work background.

I gather from your profile that you worked in formulation but were more oriented towards the development to production rollout aspects, which is great because it gives you the opportunity to speak about your ability to work under a high-pressure environment where you are likely to coordinate with a plethora of stakeholders at all levels (from leadership to marketing to manufacturing - all those who have a vested interest in having the production on time). Definitely take advantage of your unique positioning to create a strong leadership narrative.

Industry focus - Since you are considering a 1-year MBA, your post-MBA industry will most likely also be pharma/healthcare (although you did not mention). Candidates who exhibit a strong understanding of their industry, supported by extensive reading, research, and hands-on experience, stand out. In your essays and interviews, delve into your industry's future trends, challenges, or emerging approaches. For instance, identify a problem you may have observed at close quarters in pharma/biopharma in India and discuss strategies to achieve a sustainable solution. Engage the adcom in a captivating vision that highlights your expertise in your area.

Goals Research - Your post-MBA goals are a bit all over the place at the moment.

Strategy Consulting with a tier 1 consulting company like MBB with a focus on Big Pharma/Healthcare in a few years' time (if you start as a generalist) would make a more realistic goal. This would give you a hands-on opportunity to work with a number of industry leaders in an area where you would like to focus on in the long term (for example you could ask for specialization in marketing after a few years as a generalist).

Marketing Management for pharma/biopharma is usually related to patient centricity and involves conducting marketing activities to ensure better patient treatment experiences. Applicants who have prior experience working closely in a market research role with caregivers (such as in ZS consulting) are strong candidates for projects in the market positioning of therapies/treatments in biopharma/pharma. Tier-1 consulting companies are again a great place to gain exposure to market research and positioning projects in pharma/biopharma. These profiles can eventually transition into strategic marketing roles in biotechnology companies or pivot to a large pharma company as a Patient Engagement Leads, where they work on enhancing patient-centricity.

I am intrigued why you did not mention IIM A in your school list. You would be a great fit for IIM A PGPX. But do focus on getting a solid 720+.

Feel free to reach out for a candid discussion.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com

Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Priyankajaismali wrote:
Hi experts,

10th - 70%
12th - 65%

Hi Priyankajaismali,

Overall, your profile is good and you have a good chance of being admitted to your target schools. Your academic record seems decent. The 10th and 12th grades are average but can be offset by the master's. Your work experience in the biotechnology industry is relevant and can make your profile stand out to an extent. Your involvement in the drug formulation process and work with the Regulatory Affairs team can be used to showcase your understanding of the industry, which can go a long way in making a good impression on the MBA admissions committees, especially if you can articulate your understanding of the industry, your accomplishments, clarity of goals and the impact you've created well.

Here are some areas where you could improve your profile:

GMAT score: Aim for a score of at least 700 to be competitive for admission to your target schools

Leadership experience: You could work on gaining some kind of leadership experience

Networking: Network with people in your industry and learn more about the industry. Try to identify a niche problem in your industry that you would want to solve using your skills and MBA. This will help show the adcoms that you are clear about your goals and the need for an MBA at this stage

Application materials: Make sure to write clear, concise and compelling essays that highlight your unique selling points - your skills, achievements and clear career goals. The post-MBA goals you've mentioned in strategy management, finance management and marketing management could align well with the skill set and experiences you have if you can research well and connect your goals with your past experiences and show a clear understanding of how an MBA will help you achieve the specific goals

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Spectre26 wrote:
Hi experts,

Indian - General - Male

10th - 91.2%
12th - 92%

Thanks in advance !!

Hi Spectre26,

Your academic record is great throughout. This is a positive aspect in your profile. Aim to get a GMAT score of 720+ to further strengthen the competitiveness of your profile.

Your work experience shows skills in engineering and project management. We would have to delve deeper into your team management and project management experiences, your specific accomplishments and the impact you have made in your various roles to get a clearer picture of the quality of your work experience and whether it is competitive enough for the top schools.

Not having any extracurricular activities is a negative aspect but is not a huge disadvantage. This can be offset by showcasing strengths in other areas such as gmat, work experience quality and achievements, essays, LORs etc.

With respect to your post-MBA goals, you need to connect your career goals with your experiences and skills and show how an MBA will enhance your skills and position you for success in product management. For this, you first need to be clear on why you would want to become a product manager and what skills and qualifications you have for the same.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Varshini969 wrote:
Hi,

Indian - General -Female

10th - 94.8%
12th - 96.3%

Hi Varshini969,

I am one of the lead consultants at Admit Expert.

This was more or less my profile back when I applied for MBA. 93% in 10th, 97% in 12th and 8 GPA in Instrumentation Engineering. I had worked in TCS for 5 years in internal IT. A very mundane and overrepresented IT profile. What I had in my favor - 720 GMAT, strong in the extracurricular space (14+ years of training and performance in south Indian classical music) and significant volunteering experience that tied into my overall story very well. I was late in the application cycle for Indian schools, so could apply only to XLRI. I did apply to Tepper, LBS and INSEAD abroad. I secured admission to XLRI and Tepper with scholarship. My post-MBA career goal was product management too but was connected to my TCS work as well as my passion for music.

Take away for you from this - Your profile is good. You need to target a GMAT of 720+. You need to show clarity of thought w.r.t. your goals and try to connect them well with your current experience, skills and passions.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to apply to 1yr MBA programs at IIM ABCL Co'25

Here's my profile:
10th/12th : 92%/90% (MH state board)
GMAT: 690 (q49/v35)

Bachelor's:
BE Electronics from Mumbai Univ (top 5 in class of 70)

Masters:
MS EE from San Jose State Univ (3.8 GPA)
Final project won the EE department award for best project

Work Ex:
8+ years at top 5 semiconductor company, 6+ YOE of which are in US.
Handled varied roles within engineering, across hardware, software, operations and QC, requiring cross-functional collaboration across geographies
On track to be nominated for a tech lead within department this year
steady track record of publishing papers, innovations
Won over 75+ awards won over the years for contributions
steady cadence of promotions over the years
currently mentoring junior engineers at work and training 3rd party contractors in department operations
Part of ISO-9001 certification effort for the department
Part of department committee for hiring and onboarding interns
Did a gig with company HR to revamp job descriptions to attract better talent
Currently doing a gig to develop marketing materials for a new strategic initiative at work

ECs:
work:
Served as VP Pubic Relations for Toastmasters at company, awarded for highest open house guest turnout in the previous 5 years.
Awarded for being top 50 employee volunteers across India at company
Was part of the organizing committee for an international women's conference at company

During college (these may not be relevant, these were a long time ago):
Presented R&D project at ELECRAMA, world's largest t&d show in the electrical industry.
2 year stint as IEEE editor in college, editor of college tech/cultural magazines
Was the department placement officer, helped place 90+ of the batch

Others:
Performed in an covid awareness acapella with renowned musician
Worked as digital marketing content editor for a private SEO firm for a brief period

Interests:
reading, training to become master in kundalini yoga.

Motivation:
change in functional role and looking to work in strategy/biz dev role in semiconductor industry in India

Long Term goal:
Executive position in a F500 tech co.

Plan A:
short term plan:
strategy/biz dev role for tech cos in India by developing management skills through an MBA.
Leverage international experience to grow in the Indian tech industry
long term plan:
leadership role in f500 tech cos.

Plan B:
leverage current engineering design experience and acquire business skills to move into product management roles in tech cos.
long term goal remains the same.

Thank you for your time, insights and suggestions!
SVP
SVP
Send PM