Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31909 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Improve grammar [#permalink]
sharmaarpit1 wrote:
Hi All,
I want to improve my grammar right from the basics, since I am a non native speaker of english my command on the language is not that good, especially grammar.
Can you pls sussgt how can I can improve english grammar, for SC questions. currently I am working with a high school english grammar book (wren & martin) and ultimate english grammar book by gmat club, not sure it that will suffice for SC questions.

Thanks for help, in advance

Cheers !!!

Hi sharmaarpit1,

Please include below resources as part of your preparation for GMAT:
1) Manhattan SC
2) Aristotle SC

As mentioned by Chetan2u, Although is a good book very few concepts will be tested from Wren & Martin.

Thanks & regards,
Sunil01
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharmaarpit1 wrote:
Hi All,
I want to improve my grammar right from the basics, since I am a non native speaker of english my command on the language is not that good, especially grammar.

Hi Arpit! Since you specifically mention grammar, thought I would mention that the entire Grammar section of our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is available for free preview at pothi.

This would cover pretty much everything that you need to know, to do justice to Sentence Correction in GMAT. Do note that Grammar is a vast subject; however, GMAT does not require you to know everything about everything. Hence, if you use a general grammar book for GMAT SC preparation, it might be bit of an overkill.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
I second the recommendations of the MPrep SC Strategy Guide, but I'll also add that the MPrep Foundations of GMAT Verbal book is great. It's a good starting resource if your command of English is weak in general - it'll equip you with the terminology you need to know in order to get the most out of the SC Strategy Guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
If you are a non-native speaker, the highest leverage thing you can do with your time is spend it with a native American English tutor reviewing gmat problems together. It can be done well with any reading or writing tutor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Definitely get the Manhattan SC guide.

SC has a ton of specific rules that you must apply on the GMAT. Without knowing these cold, you are going to seriously hurt your score. GMAT even has specific rules that are debatable in the English language to begin with, so studying with the Manhattan SC guide will be much more helpful than using a random English grammar text book.

I would also suggest reading high level material to help improve Verbal in general. Publications such as The Economist and the Wall Street Journal are great resources. They are very well written, constructed and require you to take ideas out of complicated paragraphs, which you will have to do on reading comprehension. This will help you get used to the more nuanced aspects of the English language.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts