Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:07 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Re: Improving from 600 to 700+ in 7 weeks? [#permalink]
Yes, it is possible that you can get 700+ in 7 weeks. Just track your errors and go over your weaknesses, you can surely improve. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you. any specific methods of learning I should apply?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nevo,

To start, a 600 is a solid initial CAT score (the Average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). That having been said, many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you are going to limit your studies to just 7 weeks, then there will likely be a limit to how much you can improve in that time. If you ultimately do "need" a 700+ Score to get into your first-choice School, then THAT Score Goal has to come first - and you might need to consider pushing back your planned Test Date.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours are you planning to study each week?
2) Do you currently have access to any specific study materials?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Nevo wrote:
Thank you. any specific methods of learning I should apply?

I recommend the gmatclub error log. You can use the timer 15 questions each section and 2 RC each day. Gmatclub have all the sources needed.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Nevo,

To start, a 600 is a solid initial CAT score (the Average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). That having been said, many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you are going to limit your studies to just 7 weeks, then there will likely be a limit to how much you can improve in that time. If you ultimately do "need" a 700+ Score to get into your first-choice School, then THAT Score Goal has to come first - and you might need to consider pushing back your planned Test Date.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours are you planning to study each week?
2) Do you currently have access to any specific study materials?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hey Rich, thanks for the detailed answer.
1) How many hours are you planning to study each week?: Between 30-50 hours weekly (I'm not currently working)
2) Do you currently have access to any specific study materials? I got the 2019 official book, and some of Manhattan prep material.
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?: M7 B-schools in ~2 years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 530 Q32 V29
GRE 1: Q156 V149
GPA: 8.0
Send PM
As you said, you’ve forgotten some parts of quant so what you need is a course that you would explain you methods to solve those type of questions
I would honestly not recommend you to start practising questions immediately….I made that mistake too. You can refer to Manhattan prep strategy guides
Gmat is very different from school. You SHOULD NOT solve all the questions in the exam. It tests how well you can decide whether this quest Is worth your time.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nevo,

If you can work your butt off, I do think you have a shot. Regarding how to improve your GMAT score, here is a great article you can check out:

How to Improve Your GMAT Score

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Shalom, Nevo,
if you are good at self-studying then reading the Manhattan guides is preferable option. In other case, you cat take the online course. There are abundance of platforms that provide quant and verbal course, and reviews most of them are presented here.

I would suggest to take TTP course because its well organized study plan and unique approach already have helped me to ameliorate my Quant score. I have not consummated the Verbal module yet, but what do I say is that its curriculum not only covers all general topics but also provides step by step guide to cement the acquired knowledge. You can take the diagnostic test to determine where you are.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nevo,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1801 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nevo wrote:
Hi all,
Here is a quick background: I need a 700+ GMAT score to get into top b-schools and I have 7 weeks to make it (full-time prep, no work). With no preparation whatsoever I took the official mock test today to have a benchmark and got a score of 600 (39Q 33V).

Quant
I completely bombed the quant section (28th percentile, 13 mistakes). I have extremely high quant skills, in my bachelor's I had A+ in all math-related courses. But I pretty much forgot everything related to geometry/trigonometry/powers and so on. When analyzing my mistakes, 6 out of 13 were related to rules of math that I had already forgotten. I assume that with 20-30 hours of refreshment on those I can make a major leap in the quant section.

Verbal
I'm not a native English speaker (more room to improve?), I felt like I had a decent run, had 11 mistakes, 7 of which were SC.

Given the above, is it realistic for me to aim for a 700+ score in 7 weeks? if so, what's my best course of action?

Thanks!

Hi Nevo

600 is a good score to start with. If you prepare in a structured manner with consistent efforts guided in the right direction, you do stand a chance as you can prepare full time. Let me share my insights here.

OG may be a great source for solving GMAT like questions, however, it is definitely not the ideal way to prepare in your case. Moreover, you may find that the OG is a good option as a question bank but lacks detailed explanations for you to use for improvement. It’s always better to prepare with a definitive resource to help you learn concepts while formulating a consistent strategy to solve questions before practicing them from the OG. This way, your preparation will be a lot more structured, and the chances of you leaving gaps in your learning will be significantly less. Focus on improving the method you follow to solve questions because that's what stops people from scoring 700+. Furthermore, you may find that the MGMAT guides aren’t very helpful as they’re targeted more towards native speakers of English. As such, following a resource which focuses on the right methodologies becomes even more crucial.

A Q39 indicates that you have conceptual gaps in a few topics and are highly struggling with the application of concepts (the right methods to solve questions). You should revisit the concepts, understand them perfectly, then learn the right approach to solve questions and then practice questions of that topic. You should consider moving to the next topic only if you are perfect with the previous topic.

Coming to Verbal, your score indicates you are probably good enough with one of the 3 modules (SC, CR and RC) and need to work on the other two. (This is general case. There can be chances that you are average in two and very bad in the other one since you mentioned SC as a weak area)

Verbal questions on GMAT are very tricky. Let me help you with the right way to approach your Verbal Prep.

How to Ace your Verbal Prep?

For GMAT Verbal, it is very important that you follow the right methodology and the logical approach. Your focus has to be on eliminating four incorrect choices rather than choosing the right one. The key is to develop a solid understanding of the concepts that are typically tested on the GMAT and master the process skills that are required to solve GMAT questions. Only then, you will be able to smartly avoid the traps set by the test makers.

Before you start learning, it's important to understand what is actually tested using the questions. Each module in Verbal (SC, CR and RC) has to be approached in a different way. For example, before you start learning the concepts of SC, you need to understand that SC questions on GMAT test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it's important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. You might have often come across answer choices which are both grammatically correct and convey a logical meaning but are indeed incorrect because they do not convey the intended meaning. So, the process to approach SC questions is to:
• Comprehend the original meaning of the sentence
• Identify errors if any (both grammatical and meaning wise)
• Eliminate answer choices which either are grammatically incorrect or do not convey the intended meaning

You can go through the link below to understand the process in a better way:

Since you're targeting a quick turnaround, I suggest you follow a more personalized approach and a study plan with clear deadlines. I understand that creating a study plan can be a tedious task, so you can check GMATWhiz which can help you create a personalized study plan.

Learn how Ruthwik scored a perfect Q51 bringing it to a GMAT 740:

Hope it helped. If you have any queries regarding the study strategy or the resource, you can get in touch with me using the below link. I will be happy to help.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Improving from 600 to 700+ in 7 weeks? [#permalink]
Hey all, it's been about 3 weeks now and I've studied a lot through OG and TTP. Just took a manhattan mock test and scored 640. 41Q/36V (The first mock test was 39Q/33V) is that a decent improvement? What's my best chance now to optimize for a 700+ score as I have a full month left to study.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey, took another official mock today, got 710 (Q46 V42), have 8 days until the exam date, what is my best route to improve in the meantime?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nevo wrote:
Hi all,
Here is a quick background: I need a 700+ GMAT score to get into top b-schools and I have 7 weeks to make it (full-time prep, no work). With no preparation whatsoever I took the official mock test today to have a benchmark and got a score of 600 (39Q 33V).

Quant
I completely bombed the quant section (28th percentile, 13 mistakes). I have extremely high quant skills, in my bachelor's I had A+ in all math-related courses. But I pretty much forgot everything related to geometry/trigonometry/powers and so on. When analyzing my mistakes, 6 out of 13 were related to rules of math that I had already forgotten. I assume that with 20-30 hours of refreshment on those I can make a major leap in the quant section.

Verbal
I'm not a native English speaker (more room to improve?), I felt like I had a decent run, had 11 mistakes, 7 of which were SC.

Given the above, is it realistic for me to aim for a 700+ score in 7 weeks? if so, what's my best course of action?

Thanks!

Hi Nevo,

I think you can significantly improve your score in 7 weeks. If you're good at quant, you're most likely not going to stay at Q39 for long. As for verbal, in a way, 7/11 mistakes on SC is a good thing. SC involves a lot of concepts, which are relatively easy to pick up. If that's what you currently lack, and if you work on your SC concepts, you should be able to improve your verbal score quickly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi Nevo, I have been studying through OG and ttp too. There are some useful thing in the link...

https://gmatwithcj.com/resources/mega-c ... questions/
GMAT Club Bot