GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 09:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:10) correct 19% (01:24) wrong based on 245 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT® Official Guide Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.:
Online test bank question number : CR02865

In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes into rivers and more water is extracted from rivers for drinking and irrigation. Consequently, in such years, water levels drop considerably and the rivers flow more slowly. Because algae grow better the more slowly the water in which they are growing moves, such years are generally beneficial to populations of algae. But, by contrast, populations of algae drop in periods of extreme drought.

Which of the following, if true, does most to explain the contrast?

(A) Algae grow better in ponds and lakes than in rivers.

(B) The more slowly water moves, the more conducive its temperature is to the growth of algae.

(C) Algae cannot survive in the absence of water.

(D) Algae must be filtered out of water before it can be used for drinking.

(E) The larger the population of algae in a body of water, the less sunlight reaches below the surface of the water.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 09:44
Question Type: Explain/Paradox

Argument: Algae growth is better when river water flows slowly but in periods of extreme drought populations of algae drop.

(A) Algae grow better in ponds and lakes than in rivers. - Irrelevant

(B) The more slowly water moves, the more conducive its temperature is to the growth of algae. - While mentioning about the drop in algae population, the argument focuses on periods of extreme drought. This option doesn't explain the paradox.

(C) Algae cannot survive in the absence of water. - Correct.

(D) Algae must be filtered out of water before it can be used for drinking. - Irrelevat

(E) The larger the population of algae in a body of water, the less sunlight reaches below the surface of the water. - Irrelevant.

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36
Re: In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 12:28
C can't be right. No where in the question says extreme drought means absence of water. In fact, extreme drought just means more water will be extracted from the river.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 04:30
Canteenbottle wrote:
C can't be right. No where in the question says extreme drought means absence of water. In fact, extreme drought just means more water will be extracted from the river.

Hey

The premise doesn't anywhere mention that extreme drought means 'more water will be extracted from the river' . This statement is assumption that you think

also, this question is an 'resolve the paradox' kind of question. So external ideas are allowed

Only C answers the question, rest are all out of scope

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 09:01
"in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes into rivers and more water is extracted from rivers for drinking and irrigation." this is the info from the question. It is not an assumption I made. No where in the question suggests absence of water. Lack of water and absence of water are two different concepts.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 00:02
Hey Canteenbottle (BTW, nice name)

I am only referring to the statement in the previous comment "extreme drought just means more water will be extracted from the river"

We don't see any such statement or reference in the premise. Anyways, you are absolutely spot on here. Lack of water and absence of water are two different concepts and tthiss tells us why C is the right choice

Lack of water (rivers flow slowly) - algae growth is much better
Absence of water (drought) - No water at all, how will the algae grow? Hence populations of algae drop in periods of extreme drought

hence answer is C. Hope this helps

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 01:22
A, D and E are clearly out.

(B) The more slowly water moves, the more conducive its temperature is to the growth of algae.
This doesn't tell why algae population decrease, So it is not useful choice here.

(C) Algae cannot survive in the absence of water.
Water is essential for algae formation. According to stimulus, water level is low and flow is quite slow in drought condition.

So C is winning choice to resolve the paradox.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 09:12
Thanks pikolo2510 and gvij2017 for your explanations!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

www.gmatninja.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 09:12

In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap