Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [47]
Given Kudos: 298
Concentration: Other, Finance
Schools: SDSU '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 2.76
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [19]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4585 [4]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Re: In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that was offering the [#permalink]
Kudos
In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that
was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access[IC];
anyone with a wireless-enabled device can access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area.[IC2]

Intended meaning:
La-Plata, Argentina, was one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public.
Anyone in La-Plata with a wireless-enabled device can access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area.

A) that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can
>>missing main verb.Out.
B) has offered complimentary wireless Internet access to the public; with a wireless-enabled device, anyone can
>>In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities has offered... pretty weird in meaning.Is there another city within La Plata? Out.
C) to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may [Sub clause,Main clause ]
D) offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access, enabling anyone with a wireless-enabled device to
>>missing main verb.Out.
E) offers to the public complimentary wireless Internet access, which, with a wireless-enabled device, allows anyone to
>>Same as B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.23
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that was offering the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Answer should be C.

to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public -- is modifying La Plata.

to offer is idiomatically correct.

If you read is without modifier, it makes perfect sense:

In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi,
I'm confused with option - C, which is the correct answer though. In the sentence ... ,anyone ...is used after a clause and separated with only a comma. Then, how can this clause 'anyone with ...' can be considered an independent clause over here.

can some expert advise. thanks!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
anchal25 wrote:
Hi,
I'm confused with option - C, which is the correct answer though. In the sentence ... ,anyone ...is used after a clause and separated with only a comma. Then, how can this clause 'anyone with ...' can be considered an independent clause over here.

First, The initial portion of the sentence (In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public) is not a clause - it is a prepositional phrase: there is no verb in this part.

Moreover even if the first portion were a clause, there is no issue with the second portion being an independent clause:
Although I tried hard, I lost. ( I lost is an independent clause - "used after a clause and separated with only a comma" - nothing wrong with this construction.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
sayantanc2k wrote:
anchal25 wrote:
Hi,

First, The initial portion of the sentence (In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public) is not a clause - it is a prepositional phrase: there is no verb in this part.

Moreover even if the first portion were a clause, there is no issue with the second portion being an independent clause:
Although I tried hard, I lost. ( I lost is an independent clause - "used after a clause and separated with only a comma" - nothing wrong with this construction.)

Can you please tell me what is wrong with option E?
I'm unable to understand.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
emmafoster wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
anchal25 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please tell me what is wrong with option E?
I'm unable to understand.

Option E implies that one of the first cities offer internet access in La Plata - i.e., "La Plata" and "one of the first cities" are different entities. It is not clear that La Plata itself is one of the first cities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
sayantanc2k
Can you solve my doubts? Thanks

In the question An Offer is made, so we need to take care of To Someone? Here, To Public. Is that one of the important things in this question?
I always get confused when there are couple of commas initially and later a semi colon. In that case I consider that because of excess commas earlier, the author used a semi-colon to just remove excess of commas; hence inserted a semi-colon. So that semi-colon may not be an independent clause in itself - is that understanding of mine correct? If yes, then is that excess commas earlier in the sentence and later inserting a semi-colon rule correct in original choice?
Further, because of above understanding, I considered one of the first cities that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can cities(Subject) that was offering (verb), and.....'can' as verb of Anyone. So in (A), "one of the first cities that was offering" is wrong because of additional THAT and/or because of Past Continuous Tense- was offering. Because past continuous has to be with respect to some other action, which will not be in continuous form. Thats why option (A) is wrong?
In option (C) I wasn't able to fit in 'To Offer'.
In option (C) if it were 'Cities offering ...', then will it be correct? And that 'To Public' plays a vital role for picking option (C)

Thank you again
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravi19012015 wrote:
sayantanc2k
Can you solve my doubts? Thanks

In the question An Offer is made, so we need to take care of To Someone? Here, To Public. Is that one of the important things in this question?
I always get confused when there are couple of commas initially and later a semi colon. In that case I consider that because of excess commas earlier, the author used a semi-colon to just remove excess of commas; hence inserted a semi-colon. So that semi-colon may not be an independent clause in itself - is that understanding of mine correct? If yes, then is that excess commas earlier in the sentence and later inserting a semi-colon rule correct in original choice?
Further, because of above understanding, I considered one of the first cities that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can cities(Subject) that was offering (verb), and.....'can' as verb of Anyone. So in (A), "one of the first cities that was offering" is wrong because of additional THAT and/or because of Past Continuous Tense- was offering. Because past continuous has to be with respect to some other action, which will not be in continuous form. Thats why option (A) is wrong?
In option (C) I wasn't able to fit in 'To Offer'.
In option (C) if it were 'Cities offering ...', then will it be correct? And that 'To Public' plays a vital role for picking option (C)

Thank you again

"Offer to + object" and "offer + object" both can be correct.

I offered a beer to him.... correct. ( Indirect object "him" comes after direct object "beer": "to" required)
I offerd him a beer... correct. ( Indirect object "him" comes before direct object "beer": "to" not required)

====================================

Semicolon can be used in the following cases:

1. To separate two Independent clauseS. here you may consider semicolon equivalent to a full stop.
2. Used instead of comma in nested lists. If there is a list within a list then comma is used in the outer list and semicolon in the inner.

However there is no rule that if there are many commas, one should use semicolon later.

====================================

A is wrong because of past continuous. You correctly identified the error. There is no problem with "that". ("that...." is a relative clause modifier.)

======================================

The core structure of option C is as follows:

In La Plata, anyone can access the Internet.

Now add a modifier for La Plata: one of the first cities to offer complimentary Internet. The sentence becomes,

In La Plata, one of the first cities to offer complimentary internet, anyone can access the Internet.

The following would also be correct:
In La Plata, one of the first cities offering complimentary internet, anyone can access the Internet. ("offering.." is a present participle modifier - could also have been a relative clause modifier" that offered or offers")

======================================
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello sayantanc2k ,
If the sentence had a verb , how would it be rephrased?

I went for C but after reading the statement , felt the need of semicolon , because of IC , IC incorrect sentence formation

Any tips as to how to identify the statement is a clause/prepositional phrase ?
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hatakekakashi wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello sayantanc2k ,
If the sentence had a verb , how would it be rephrased?

I went for C but after reading the statement , felt the need of semicolon , because of IC , IC incorrect sentence formation

Any tips as to how to identify the statement is a clause/prepositional phrase ?

A clause has verb, a phrase does not. In option C, the first part "In La Plata, Argentina" is a prepositional phrase, not an IC (because there is no verb in this part). So using semicolon to separate it would be wrong. (The part "one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public" is a modifier for "La Plata, Argentina" and hence can be ignored while understanding the structure of the sentence.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
clipea12 wrote:
In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area

A) that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can

B) has offered complimentary wireless Internet access to the public; with a wireless-enabled device, anyone can

C) to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may

D) offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access, enabling anyone with a wireless-enabled device to

E) offers to the public complimentary wireless Internet access, which, with a wireless-enabled device, allows anyone to

Official Solution (Credit: Manhattan Prep)

This sentence describes a noteworthy fact about the city of La Plata, Argentina: the city offers complimentary wireless Internet access to anyone with a wireless-enabled device.

(A) The portion of the sentence preceding the semicolon is a sentence fragment. The combination of the past-tense was offering and the present tense can is illogical: the first verb suggests that La Plata no longer offers the service described, while the second suggests the opposite.

(B) The combination of the present perfect has offered and the present tense can is illogical; the first verb suggests that La Plata offered the service in the past but not necessarily at present, while the second suggests that the service is still offered now. Note that a time marker would indicate that the action still continues in the present: La Plata has offered the services for three years. Without the time marker "three years," it's unclear whether La Plata still offers these services. In addition, the clause In La Plata, one of the first cities has offered no longer says that La Plata is the city that offers these services. Rather the structure describes a separate city contained within La Plata. Further, the designation first no longer makes sense: one of the first cities to do what?

(C) CORRECT. The idiomatic construction one of the first to is used correctly. The modifier is followed by an independent clause, and all parts of the sentence convey a logical meaning.

(D) This sentence is a fragment, consisting entirely of modifiers and lacking either a subject or a verb.

(E) The clause In La Plata, one of the first cities has offered no longer says that La Plata is the city that offers these services. Rather the structure describes a separate city contained within La Plata. Further, the designation first no longer makes sense: one of the first cities to do what? The modifier with a wireless-enabled device is placed incorrectly. The choice indicates that wireless Internet access possesses a wireless device; this is illogical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Use of plural form with "one of the" [#permalink]
I got the following question in my Manhattan CAT:
In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area.
that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can
has offered complimentary wireless Internet access to the public; with a wireless-enabled device, anyone can
to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may
offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access, enabling anyone with a wireless-enabled device to
offers to the public complimentary wireless Internet access, which, with a wireless-enabled device, allows anyone to.
The question is already discussed here. https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-la-plata- ... 99570.html

I wanted to ask what is the rule position for using the plural form with "one of the"?
One of the apples was rotten is correct.
In La Plata, one of the first cities that have done wonders, the economy is blooming also seems correct. How to decide the correct usage?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
clipea12 wrote:
In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area

C) to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may

POE:

A) Need two independent clauses if a semi-colon is used.
B) Same as A
C) Correct
D) using a participle for the last part of the sentence creates a fragment.
E) Offers is incorrectly used
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
singh8891 wrote:
In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area.
that was offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access; anyone with a wireless-enabled device can
has offered complimentary wireless Internet access to the public; with a wireless-enabled device, anyone can
to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may
offering the public complimentary wireless Internet access, enabling anyone with a wireless-enabled device to
offers to the public complimentary wireless Internet access, which, with a wireless-enabled device, allows anyone to.
The question is already discussed here. https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-la-plata- ... 99570.html

I wanted to ask what is the rule position for using the plural form with "one of the"?
In La Plata, one of the first cities that have done wonders, the economy is blooming also seems correct. How to decide the correct usage?

Hi..

In both the choices, the difference is in usage of relative pronoun THAT..
When you say that
ONE of apples is rotten.
The verb IS corresponds directly to ONE . It means. That there are many apples and one is rotten.

But now let us take the second example..
One of the first cities THAT have..
Here HAVE corresponds to relative pronoun that is referring to pluran cities.
Here the meaning is that there are many cities having xyz and we are talking of one such city

Hope it helps.

chetan2u Thank you for replying. But I didn't understand the concept. In one case if La Plata is one of the cities in Argentina and it has done something and in other case La Plata is one of the cities that have done something, I don't understand how to spot the difference
La plata, Argentina, one of the cities that has done wonders, is booming.
La Plata , Argentina, one of the cities that have done wonders, is booming.
Please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area. ---this seems correct than

In La Plata, Argentina, one of the first cities to offer complimentary wireless Internet access to the public, anyone with a wireless-enabled device may access the Internet from virtually any location in the downtown area.

Is my understanding correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
singh8891 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
singh8891 wrote:

Hi..

In both the choices, the difference is in usage of relative pronoun THAT..
When you say that
ONE of apples is rotten.
The verb IS corresponds directly to ONE . It means. That there are many apples and one is rotten.

But now let us take the second example..
One of the first cities THAT have..
Here HAVE corresponds to relative pronoun that is referring to pluran cities.
Here the meaning is that there are many cities having xyz and we are talking of one such city

Hope it helps.

Thank you for replying. But I didn't understand the concept. In one case if La Plata is one of the cities in Argentina and it has done something and in other case La Plata is one of the cities that have done something, I don't understand how to spot the difference
La plata, Argentina, one of the cities that has done wonders, is booming.
La Plata , Argentina, one of the cities that have done wonders, is booming.
Please elaborate.

singh8891 This post must be irrelevant to you by now but maybe someone having similar doubt can rectify his/her doubt on pronoun usage concept.

1. This is one of those (book / books) that (was / were) published last year.
CORRECTION: This is one of those books that were published last year.
THAT as a pronoun refers to BOOKS... hence we need WERE...

2. Dhoni is one of those cricketers who (does / do) modelling assignments.
CORRECTION: Dhoni is one of those cricketers who DO modelling assignments.
This might sound awkward... normally we might want to associate ONE... DOES...
But here, WHO as a pronoun refers to CRICKETERS... hence we need DO

3. One of my (friend / friends) (is an IT professional / are IT professionals).
Correction: One of my friends is an IT professional.
Here we are talking about one person only.

a. He is one of my friends who (is an IT professional / are IT professionals).
CORRECTION: He is one of my friends who are IT professionals.

b. He is only one / just one / but one of my friends who (is an IT professional / are IT professionals).
CORRECTION: He is only one / just one / but one of my friends who are IT professionals.

c. He is the only one of my friends who (is an IT professional / are IT professionals).
CORRECTION: He is THE only one of my friends who IS an IT professional.
Watch out: Here THE ONLY ONE means there is only one person... so IS.

Long story short, whenever you see a relative pronoun (HIGHLIGHTED), always use plural verb because the relative pronoun refers to the immediate plural noun. The only exception is the usage of "THE ONLY", in this case the rel. pronoun refers to the main subject.

Source- Top1percent.
Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
please clarify

in C] Argentina is the main subject of the first clause but there is no verb for Argentina?

in B] is there anything wrong with the prepositional phrase starting with 'WITH'
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts