GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Posts: 120
Location: Singapore
In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2003, 04:36
5
22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (02:18) correct 34% (01:35) wrong based on 567 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 1.18 KiB | Viewed 8787 times ]
In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ?

(1) The area of rectangular region ABCD is 3 times the area of rectangular region ABPQ.
(2) The perimeter of rectangle ABCD is 54.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 222
Location: United States
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2003, 10:54
C?

My first would have been E, but then I saw AB was common in both rectangles, so I decided to answer C. But I decided to do a little calculation to verify. That took me like three-four minutes. Now seems like C is a good choice.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3339
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2003, 16:12
araspai wrote:
ABPQ is a smaller rectangle within a bigger rectangle ABCD, what is the peimeter of the rectangle ABPQ?
a. The area of rectangular region ABCD is 3 times the area of the rectangular region ABPQ.
b. The perimeter of bigger rectangle ABCD is 54.



A...clearly insufficient ..we only know A [ ABPQ] = 1/3 * A[ABCD]
3 * L * W1 = L * W
W = 3 W1
B... clearly insufficient
L + W = 27 ....

combine....
A[ ABPQ] = LW/3

L + W =27 W = 27 - L . W1 = 27 - L / 3

Perimeter of ABPQ = 2 L + 2 (27 - L /3)

I dont see how Wonder got C...what did i miss?

My answer E.

Thanks
praetorian
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 74
Location: Italy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.75
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2014, 15:38
1
1
Attachment:
Screen shot 2014-08-07 at 12.21.12 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-08-07 at 12.21.12 AM.png [ 9.48 KiB | Viewed 8748 times ]


Let the sides of ABCD be x and y.
Let the sides of ABPQ be x1 and y.

We want to find \(2x1+2y=?\)

1) tells us : \(2x+2y=54\) not sufficient
2) tells us \(xy=3*x1*y\), \(x=3*x1\) not sufficient

1+2) tells us \(6x1+2y=54\), so \(3x1+y=27\)

x1 could be equal to 1 and y to 24
or x1 could be equal to 2 and y 21 etc.

Not sufficient, answer E
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 16
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 06:25
I read in the Manhattan Geometry Guide (13 ed.)
"If two similar triangles have corresponding side lengths in ratio a: b, then their
areas will be in ratio a^2: b^2.
The lengths being compared do not have to be sides— they can represent heights or perimeters. In fact,
the figures do not have to be triangles."

So I guess, the parameters in this case should be in ratio as well.
Can some one explain this to me.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7686
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 06:41
1
1
rickyfication wrote:
I read in the Manhattan Geometry Guide (13 ed.)
"If two similar triangles have corresponding side lengths in ratio a: b, then their
areas will be in ratio a^2: b^2.
The lengths being compared do not have to be sides— they can represent heights or perimeters. In fact,
the figures do not have to be triangles."

So I guess, the parameters in this case should be in ratio as well.
Can some one explain this to me.


Hi,
you are correct --
If two polygons are similar, their corresponding sides, altitudes, medians, diagonals, angle bisectors and perimeters are all in the same ratio.

but here "You are not given anything about similarity", so you cannot apply the same rule here..
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 16
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 07:10
chetan2u wrote:
rickyfication wrote:
I read in the Manhattan Geometry Guide (13 ed.)
"If two similar triangles have corresponding side lengths in ratio a: b, then their
areas will be in ratio a^2: b^2.
The lengths being compared do not have to be sides— they can represent heights or perimeters. In fact,
the figures do not have to be triangles."

So I guess, the parameters in this case should be in ratio as well.
Can some one explain this to me.


Hi,
you are correct --
If two polygons are similar, their corresponding sides, altitudes, medians, diagonals, angle bisectors and perimeters are all in the same ratio.

but here "You are not given anything about similarity", so you cannot apply the same rule here..



Thanks, but I am finding it difficult to figure out why ABPQ and ABCD are not similar, since both the figures are rectangle, they have one common side therefore PQ has to be || with CD. is there anything wrong with my concept??
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7686
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 07:21
1
rickyfication wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
rickyfication wrote:
I read in the Manhattan Geometry Guide (13 ed.)
"If two similar triangles have corresponding side lengths in ratio a: b, then their
areas will be in ratio a^2: b^2.
The lengths being compared do not have to be sides— they can represent heights or perimeters. In fact,
the figures do not have to be triangles."

So I guess, the parameters in this case should be in ratio as well.
Can some one explain this to me.


Hi,
you are correct --
If two polygons are similar, their corresponding sides, altitudes, medians, diagonals, angle bisectors and perimeters are all in the same ratio.

but here "You are not given anything about similarity", so you cannot apply the same rule here..



Thanks, but I am finding it difficult to figure out why ABPQ and ABCD are not similar, since both the figures are rectangle, they have one common side therefore PQ has to be || with CD. is there anything wrong with my concept??


Hi,
since you are also saying one side is equal and the other two side are lesser than their corresponding sides ..
this basically means the sides are not in the same ratio..
whereas ONE set of sides have ratio as 1, the OTHER set is not 1, but something else..
for two triangles - ONE has L= 2 and B= 1, th eOTHER has L=6 and B=3.. these triangles are similar as ratios of sides 2/6 is same as 1/3
BUT if ONE has L= 2 and B= 1, th eOTHER has L=6 and B=1.. these triangles are NOT similar as ratios of sides 2/6 is NOT same as 1/1

_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 16
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 07:42
Got you point Chetan. Thanks for the clarification.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 306
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 03:22
Lets dive into statement analysis straight away:

Stmt 1: Since AB is common width between 2 figures, clearly the length of larger rectangle ABCD should be 3 times the length of smaller rectangle ABPQ. But using this alone we dont have concrete values to work with. Hence (1) is insufficient.
Stmt 2: Perimeter of ABCD = 54.
= > 2(l+b) =54
=> l+b = 27. This does not give any clue about the smaller rectangle. Hence (2) is insufficient.

Using (1) & (2)
=> 3l' + b = 27. (where l' is length of ABPQ)
We can't solve this further to get 2(l'+b). Hence E.
_________________
Citius, Altius, Fortius
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 3727
Location: Canada
In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Apr 2018, 12:15
1
Top Contributor
1
araspai wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ?

(1) The area of rectangular region ABCD is 3 times the area of rectangular region ABPQ.
(2) The perimeter of rectangle ABCD is 54.


Target question: What is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ?

Statement 1: The area of rectangular region ABCD is 3 times the area of rectangular region ABPQ.
Since we aren't given any information regarding ACTUAL lengths, we cannot determine the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The perimeter of rectangle ABCD is 54
There are many possible cases in which ABCD's perimeter is 54, yet the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ is not fixed (see diagrams below)
Statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
There are several scenarios that satisfy BOTH statements. Here are two:

Case a: The measurements are as follows:
Image
Notice that the area of ABCD (72 square units) is 3 times the area of rectangular region ABPQ (24 square units)
Also notice that ABCD has perimeter 54
In this case, the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ = 1 + 24 + 1 + 24 = 50


Case b: The measurements are as follows:
Image
Notice that the area of ABCD (126 square units) is 3 times the area of rectangular region ABPQ (42 square units)
Also notice that ABCD has perimeter 54
In this case, the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ = 2 + 21 + 2 + 21 = 46

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image

Originally posted by GMATPrepNow on 26 Feb 2018, 16:15.
Last edited by GMATPrepNow on 16 Apr 2018, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 36
Location: Singapore
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 18:46
I notice that this is quite a common trick question on areas/perimeters that and can be solved very quickly.

Basically for rectangles, the perimeter and area may not be proportionate to each other (do correct me if I am wrong)

For example a 100 sqft rectangle could be:
1) 100 + 100 + 1 +1 = 202 ft perimeter
2) 20 + 20 + 5 + 5 = 50 ft perimeter

Back to the question,
(1) The area ratio is given, but nothing about the perimeter. Also, the question is asking for a specific value which the statement does not provide any clue - Insufficient
(2) Although the perimeter of ABCD is given, it does not show how ABCD and ABPQ are related to each other - Insufficient
(1) & (2) Since area and perimeter are not proportionate, not possible to derive answer without also knowing any side lengths - Insufficient

Hence answer is (E)

If the question was on a square, then it would have been (C) since we could derive the length of its sides from statement (2)
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11012
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 08:25
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 08:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the figure above, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABPQ

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.