Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Au [#permalink]
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
Can someone explain the rule of non-essential modifier to me? I eliminated Option A as '' Before Australia was Australia'' is placed between two commas, which makes it non-essential, if I remove this non-essential stuff, sentence becomes meaningless as ''it '' doesn't have any referent anymore.

What is wrong with this understanding?

I understand the meaning issues in rest of the 4 options, but unable to digest the issue of ''non-essential stuff'' placed between the two commas in Option A.

Regards
Vighnesh

Hello VIGHNESHKAMATH,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the rule regarding the removal of information between two commas is that after removal, the sentence should still be a complete one.

In this case, even if the phrase between the commas is removed, the sentence will still be complete.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Au [#permalink]
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
I eliminated Option A as '' Before Australia was Australia'' is placed between two commas, which makes it non-essential, if I remove this non-essential stuff, sentence becomes meaningless as ''it '' doesn't have any referent anymore.

What is wrong with this understanding?

Hi VIGHNESHKAMATH,

That's not the right way to look at non-essential modifiers (the name is slightly misleading :)). Non-essential does not mean that the meaning of such an element is not important or that it doesn't contain important elements.

This is not to say that we should not remove remove modifiers from a sentence. This tactic can be very useful, especially in long sentences, but we should not expect to be able to remove modifiers without losing meaning. Generally, we remove elements from a sentence to check the rest of the sentence for structural issues.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GRE 1: Q164 V157
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone please add ‘meaning’ tag to this question?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DesiMozart wrote:
Can someone please add ‘meaning’ tag to this question?

Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Au [#permalink]
Can you please share your approach to eliminate each of the options

One of the comment mentioned that "it" in option B is ambiguous, if it is correct, isn't "it" in option A also ambiguous?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:

One of the comment mentioned that "it" in option B is ambiguous, if it is correct, isn't "it" in option A also ambiguous?

Hello Rickooreo,

To answer your query, you are correct; there is no ambiguity regarding "it" in Option B; the error in Option B is that the phrase "before there was Australia" illogically implies that many people living in England held a certain belief before Australia existed; the intended meaning is that many people living in England held a certain belief before Australia was known as Australia.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is still a pronoun problem with B. Notice that in A, we are talking about how Australia (the place) was known before it was called Australia (the name). When we see "it," this pronoun clearly refers to Australia. However, B shifts to saying "before there was Australia." If we're describing a time before Australia existed, then we can't come in and say "it," since there is nothing for "it" to refer to. If Australia were at least the subject of the modifier, we might get away with it, as in a sentence like this: "Before space travel existed, it was depicted widely in literature and film." But when we just say "Before there was Australia," we are setting up for "there was X." So it's less that "it" is ambiguous--after all, there's no other noun for it to refer to--and more that it does not work in the context of B.

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Rickooreo wrote:

Hello Rickooreo,

To answer your query, you are correct; there is no ambiguity regarding "it" in Option B; the error in Option B is that the phrase "before there was Australia" illogically implies that many people living in England held a certain belief before Australia existed; the intended meaning is that many people living in England held a certain belief before Australia was known as Australia.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 470 Q27 V28
GMAT 2: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 600 Q39 V34
GRE 1: Q166 V159
Send PM
In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Au [#permalink]
Good question,
I brought this question down to the bare minimum to get the answer
This isn't a skill-based question but a thinking question

In the minds of many people living in England, before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes, .....Appositive, modifier(Dont focus)......., an obscure ................ place that was considered .................

(A) before Australia was Australia, it was the antipodes (People thought of the place that they knew as Antipodes as the end of the world) - Probably Correct

(B) before there was Australia, it was the antipodes (There cant be an Australia(physically) in the minds of people) - Wrong.

(C) it was the antipodes that was Australia - By now you understand why C and D can't be the Answer

(D) Australia was what was the antipodes

(E) Australia was what had been known as the antipodes (If it was in the minds of the people or if it was thought of as an obscure place, it couldn't have been know as Australia) - Wrong

Go for A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
What is the role of " before australia was australia" in A? is it a modifier?
What is the antecedent of "it" in A? It can't be australia if the " before australia was australia" is a modifier.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
What is the role of " before australia was australia" in A? is it a modifier?
What is the antecedent of "it" in A? It can't be australia if the " before australia was australia" is a modifier.

"Before Australia was Australia" is a clause, in this case. It introduces a clause for 'it' [Australia] being an 'antipode' to happen before.

The story we get is that:

Australia was an antipode.
Then
Australia became 'Australia.'

It's a little...stylish. But consider a less stylish, identical structure:

"Before the slab of wood was a stylish bench, it was garbage on the way to the dump."

The antecedent of 'it' is 'the slab of the wood.' The story we get:

The slab of wood was garbage on the way to the dump.
Then.
The slab of wood became a stylish bench.

The pronoun 'it' in both cases replaces the subject of the first clause, joined by the conjunction 'before.'

(Note also, there's no reason, to my knowledge, that a pronoun can't replace a noun that appears in a modifier).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts