It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is 690 good enough?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Is 690 good enough? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 17:28
I just want to start off by thanking anyone who takes the time to read this post!
I also would greatly appreciate any suggestion or feedback!

My main questions:
What are my chances to be admitted into a top business school with my conditions + 690 GMAT score? What is the score I need to put myself in the “safe zone”?

A little info about me…
I am a Korean American living in New York. I graduated high school in nyc, but had to go back to Korea upon graduating. Therefore, I went to a Korean university for 2 years. After, I came back to nyc and transferred into a CUNY (it’s one of those city universities in nyc). While in CUNY, I took the opportunity to study abroad in Spain for a semester. I finally graduated last year with a 3.68 GPA (Major: International Business; Minor: Marketing, Communications Studies).

After graduating I took some time to travel around and then came back to study for my GMAT. I scheduled my test to give myself about 3 months of studying time. My ultimate plan is to get the GMAT score I want, go back to work to build my resume, then apply for grad school about 3 years down the road. Currently, my resume is not as competitive; the only experience worth mentioning is an assistant manager position for a restaurant and a sales intern position (an office job).

I finally took my test yesterday and received a 690 (Q.48 V.36) (IR.8). I accepted the score at the test center because I told myself before the test to cancel anything under 680. However, I’ve been aiming for a 720. I know that 690 isn’t a horrible score, but I’m reaching for the top business schools and 720 seemed like the average score for acceptance in majority of schools. I plan to take it one more time in early May (this is because I actually have to go away to a different country in April). I figured I would try to study when I can in April and review about 2 weeks upon returning and take my 2nd attempt.

*** The next question is something I want to triple check before cancelling my score: ***
I understand that you can cancel your score and reinstate it in the future (for a fee). However, does this pertain to me as well? I’ve already accepted my score at the testing center. Can I cancel my score (within the 72 hrs) and reinstate it later after taking my 2nd test. I ask this just in case I do worse on my 2nd test. Also would I be able to see my essay score later, before reinstating my score?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 16473 [1] , given: 229

Re: Is 690 good enough? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
isoyeon wrote:
I just want to start off by thanking anyone who takes the time to read this post!
I also would greatly appreciate any suggestion or feedback!

My main questions:
What are my chances to be admitted into a top business school with my conditions + 690 GMAT score? What is the score I need to put myself in the “safe zone”?

A little info about me…
I am a Korean American living in New York. I graduated high school in nyc, but had to go back to Korea upon graduating. Therefore, I went to a Korean university for 2 years. After, I came back to nyc and transferred into a CUNY (it’s one of those city universities in nyc). While in CUNY, I took the opportunity to study abroad in Spain for a semester. I finally graduated last year with a 3.68 GPA (Major: International Business; Minor: Marketing, Communications Studies).

After graduating I took some time to travel around and then came back to study for my GMAT. I scheduled my test to give myself about 3 months of studying time. My ultimate plan is to get the GMAT score I want, go back to work to build my resume, then apply for grad school about 3 years down the road. Currently, my resume is not as competitive; the only experience worth mentioning is an assistant manager position for a restaurant and a sales intern position (an office job).

I finally took my test yesterday and received a 690 (Q.48 V.36) (IR.8). I accepted the score at the test center because I told myself before the test to cancel anything under 680. However, I’ve been aiming for a 720. I know that 690 isn’t a horrible score, but I’m reaching for the top business schools and 720 seemed like the average score for acceptance in majority of schools. I plan to take it one more time in early May (this is because I actually have to go away to a different country in April). I figured I would try to study when I can in April and review about 2 weeks upon returning and take my 2nd attempt.

*** The next question is something I want to triple check before cancelling my score: ***
I understand that you can cancel your score and reinstate it in the future (for a fee). However, does this pertain to me as well? I’ve already accepted my score at the testing center. Can I cancel my score (within the 72 hrs) and reinstate it later after taking my 2nd test. I ask this just in case I do worse on my 2nd test. Also would I be able to see my essay score later, before reinstating my score?

690 is a good back up score for most schools. Don't cancel it.

Take the test again whenever you wish to. If you get a higher score, great, else cancel it. From what I understand, you are going to apply 2-3 yrs from now. You have plenty of time to improve upon this score. Say, you get a 740 in another attempt a few months down the line - perfect. A 690 as a first attempt and a 740 as the second will be a great GMAT score report. Anyway, the schools will consider the latest score. But if unfortunately, for whatever reasons, you are unable to take GMAT again or score more than 690, no problem! You can still apply with 690. It will raise no red flags and that is what you want from your GMAT score. No score, not even 800, will guarantee admission since that depends on lots of other things such as your essays, interview etc.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16473 [1] , given: 229

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3201 [1] , given: 170

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi isoyeon,

First off, a 690/Q48 is a fantastic score (it's a bit below the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3201 [1] , given: 170

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 15:13
Is there any way to find out my AWA essay score before officially accepting my GMAT score?
For example, if I was to cancel my score could I see my AWA score before reinstating it later in the future?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3201 [0], given: 170

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 19:55
Hi isoyeon,

Depending on how busy GMAC's Essay Graders are, you might have to wait up to a week or two before you receive your AWA score. Since Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once, there's no obvious reason to cancel this score (so the issue of having to wait to see your AWA score isn't really an issue).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3201 [0], given: 170

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 16

WE: General Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 05:59
A 690 is a phenomenal score. I think you will be able to make it to your dream business school provided focus on and present a strong application. If you want to give another attempt, you have a good enough time between now and early May to improve your score. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking an additional course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

You can try out free trials at Magoosh and Optimus Prep and EmpowerGmat courses to see if you like their course.

Also I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives and they are both within your budget. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 16

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 894 [0], given: 418

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 12:42
Hi

690 is indeed good score but it is enough or not this specifically depends upon the School your are going to apply
It should not be less then Median GMAT score of that particular school

Official PS Practice Questions

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Schools: Cambridge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 17:11
SajjadAhmad wrote:
It should not be less then Median GMAT score of that particular school

Even if off by 10 points?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 494 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 19:18
I know some stories that candidates who scored just 690 compared to the average 730 of top B-schools still won a chance to get accepted. The reason is that GMAT score is not the only important condition for evaluating candidates. In fact, the admission council evaluate candidates based on overall information.

Hence, you could still have a chance to get accepted in case that your profile is really strong and different. If your profile isn't, then improving your GMAT score is the only way to passed the 1st round.

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

Kudos [?]: 494 [0], given: 44

VP
VP
D

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests