Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:15 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: Human Resources, Organizational Behavior
Schools: ISB '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
wreckanda wrote:
Qualifications: BTech in Information Technology

Role: Software Engineer
Company: Major Healthcare/Hospital Tech/Products company (Product Examples - CT, MRI Machines)

Test Scores with a breakup: GMAT 690 (Q49 V35)

Post-MBA goals: Management Consulting, Strategy, Policy

Any specific reason for a goal in policy/strategy wreckanda, since I see no evidence of this either in your professional in your academic experience.

Since you have a Tech background (BTech in Information Technology) and are working as a software developer for Products, perhaps Product Management would be a more feasible and realistic goal.

Also, see if you can retake GMAT to push your score few notches up.
--
Ashish.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello gmatstuff123

ISB will evaluate you on Academic Potential, Work Ex, Diversity and Career Goals.
Academic potential will check the box if you are able to score above 680 (in your case this score should help you as you have a unique background).
Work ex will be your stand out strength due to the nature of your work and the brands on your CV. Focus on brining out the career progression, achievements and impact at work in your essays, LORs and interviews.
Diversity is helped to some extent due to your HR background. If the extracurricular activities are not strong, try to bring out any qualities or traits that can help you prove that you will be able to add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
Lastly, with your unique background, be prepared to answer why MBA, why now and why ISB. What are your long term and short term career goals- how will ISB act as a stepping stone to help you achieve those goals? ISB is looking at leaders with a clear vision of their career. Currently, this information is completely missing and will be key for a successful admit.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888 (WApp for a quick response)
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

gmatstuff123 wrote:
Hello, I am applying for R2 in ISB and would be grateful for your thoughts on my profile

Current industry - Human Resources
Target Industry - Consulting
Gender - Female
Target School - ISB

GMAT - I am currently planning to write GMAT end of November. As of now my mocks have given me a score of 650 +/- 10. I am aiming to improve by at least 30-40 points.

1. Total - 4.5 years of experience into Recruitment and few short stints (stretch opportunities) with other functions of HR
2. Currently working at McKinsey, previously worked Credit Suisse. Expecting a promotion this year.
3. Not many extra-curricular activities- won some literary competitions, some runner ups for Street Play and Singing competitions.
4. Led the entire Humanities department as the secretary in Undergrad for one year.
5. Undergrad and Postgrad are from Tier 2 institutions, and my major subject was Psychology.
6. Undergrad GPA was 76.5% which is 5/5 GPA, first class with distinction and postgrad - 3.43/4, just first class.

Happy to provide any other information needed.
I would be really grateful for your inputs on my profile.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Hello smukherjee42

You seem to have a pretty balanced profile and if you can score above 326 in the retake, you seem to have a decent shot at getting an interview invite.
Works ex is strong, shows good potential for story telling.
Extracurricular activities, along with work ex add brownie points for diversity and will help you prove that you can add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom.
Career goals seem organic and realistic too.
All you need to do is tie this un in a nice little cohesive narrative and I don't see any major evident weakness.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

smukherjee42 wrote:
Hi am looking to apply to ISB in Round 2 and would really appreciate some inputs on my profile

Background and nationality: Indian, age 29
Undergrad: Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Telecomm Engineering from a top public university in India (Nationally, ranked 10th in engineering)
GPA (3.33/4)
GRE (323 160 Q, 163 V) I underperformed on the day and am planning a retake.
Looking to join an MBA program in August 2024
Already applied to: Emory Goizueta, Georgetown McDonough, Cambridge Judge
Other Shortlisted Schools: Oxford Said, Cornell Johnson, Dartmouth Tuck, NYU Stern, UNC Kenan Flagler

Work Experience and Leadership (~6.5 yrs at time of joining program):

3 years at a major digital marketing agency where I was part of a founding team that helped set up a service delivery centre in India for the agency. Led a significant amount of knowledge transfer from international teams to set up the practice. Led discovery sessions and requirements gathering for every new client the Indian business unit onboarded for the marketing platforms practice for the first six months. Onboarded roughly 15 accounts in total over this period and trained 70+ new joiners. Worked directly with business unit head in talent acquisition- screening, managing job posts, ATS, and vendors (job portals, hiring agencies). Headcount grew from 4 to 200 in 6 months, interviewed hundreds of candidates and filled 80+ open positions. Led several client accounts with demonstrated impact on business KPIs like engagement, conversions and CAC

Close to 3 years at Goldman Sachs working in the Asset Management marketing team. Led go-to-market activities on digital channels for 7 ETFs, managed performance marketing campaigns targeted at fund distributors, institutional investors and family offices that led to gross sales of over $476 mn, led post-merger integration workstreams for platform integrations, rebranding, website reskinning, rebranding of over 370 funds. I also lead the SEO function within Asset Management Marketing.

Lead the mentorship program for the entire Asset Management marketing team under direct supervision of the Asset Management CMO.

Led 3 person team to regional finals of Analyst Impact Fund, where teams identify nonprofits that are tackling global challenges and pitch innovative solutions to the firm’s leadership.

After junior year in college interned at an Indian NGO called Goonj where I did fieldwork in rural India, directly mobilizing 150 individuals for rural development projects such as canal digging, shed construction, cultivating a school kitchen garden. Built a lead list for fundraising. Organized collection camps that raised over 1 metric tonne of material and $24,000 in monetary contributions. Worked directly with organization leadership to launch a range of upcylced products to monetize surplus material by producing and marketing a range of upcycled sustainable lifestyle products (bags, accessories). Set up kiosks at collection drives, earned $1200 gross sales in pilot.

Post MBA goals: Long term is to set up a PE firm focused on deploying growth equity in India. Short term is to transition from Asset Management marketing to a more core finance role in IB, preferably in FSG an group.

Anything else?
Organizer of film festival at university
Co-founded graphic design and creative club in high school

Many thanks for your consideration
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello wreckanda

While your past scores are decent, the current GMAT score does not do any good to help you stand out in the large and competitive pool of software applicants. The management consulting goal also needs to be researched that how are you planning to make this transition successful.
Work ex needs to be explored further in terms of achievements and impact at work for the sake of story telling.
Lastly, what are some of the traits/qualities (via extracurricular activities or otherwise) that can make you a unique addition to ISB (some way where you will be able to add value to the experience of your batch mates inside and outside the classroom).

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

wreckanda wrote:
Profile Evaluation request

Qualifications: BTech in Information Technology
College - NIT Raipur
Bachelor's CGPA - 8.69 CGPA
12th (CBSE Board) - 91.4
10th (CBSE Board) - 9.8 CGPA
Work Experience: 3 Years Full-Time Experience
Role: Software Engineer
Company: Major Healthcare/Hospital Tech/Products company (Product Examples - CT, MRI Machines)
Industry: Healthcare Technology
Test Scores with a breakup: GMAT 690 (Q49 V35)
Interested in Full-time MBA
Post-MBA goals: Management Consulting, Strategy, Policy

Professional Experience:
Software Engineer - Hoping for a Senior Software Engineer Promotion cum March
As I have developed seniority within my org, I have mentored and led teams, taken part in key decisions of our work and delivered with great focus.

College Experience -
Training and Placement Convener
2 years during College
- Scheduled, organised and Managed placements sessions during college
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Zeejah

Pretty balanced profile overall.
Past scores and GMAT check the box on academic strength.
Work ex shows good potential for story telling.
Extracurricular and wor ex both bring in decent diversity.
Would be interesting to know what are your goals and why MBA/ISB at all. Looking at other aspects of your profile, this seems to be the question that will be a deciding factor in a successful admit.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888 (https://gmatclub.com/chat)
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

Zeejah wrote:
Hi,

Can someone give an idea of how the profile looks for ISB? Thank you so much.

GMAT - 710
WE : 4.5 years
Qualifications - CA (all levels, first attempt)
Class 10 : 10/10 CGPA
Class 12: 95%
Industry - Consulting

Interned with BDO India for 3 years, out of which last 2 years were spent in the insolvency and bankruptcy, debt restructuring division. After qualification, been working in a boutique investment banking firm leading large scale (>INR 4000 Cr) insolvency resolutions and debt restructuring. Since the last year, been managing a team of 5.

Other information - Gardening (produce) and cooking (have a personal cookbook project), I have a personal blog, I have over 10 years of continued fascination with classic Russian Literature, I play the Veena (the string instrument) and trained in classical karnatic music.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
smukherjee42 wrote:
Hi am looking to apply to ISB in Round 2 and would really appreciate some inputs on my profile

Background and nationality: Indian, age 29
Undergrad: Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Telecomm Engineering from a top public university in India (Nationally, ranked 10th in engineering)
GPA (3.33/4)
GRE (323 160 Q, 163 V) I underperformed on the day and am planning a retake.
Looking to join an MBA program in August 2024
Already applied to: Emory Goizueta, Georgetown McDonough, Cambridge Judge
Other Shortlisted Schools: Oxford Said, Cornell Johnson, Dartmouth Tuck, NYU Stern, UNC Kenan Flagler

Work Experience and Leadership (~6.5 yrs at time of joining program):

3 years at a major digital marketing agency where I was part of a founding team that helped set up a service delivery centre in India for the agency. Led a significant amount of knowledge transfer from international teams to set up the practice. Led discovery sessions and requirements gathering for every new client the Indian business unit onboarded for the marketing platforms practice for the first six months. Onboarded roughly 15 accounts in total over this period and trained 70+ new joiners. Worked directly with business unit head in talent acquisition- screening, managing job posts, ATS, and vendors (job portals, hiring agencies). Headcount grew from 4 to 200 in 6 months, interviewed hundreds of candidates and filled 80+ open positions. Led several client accounts with demonstrated impact on business KPIs like engagement, conversions and CAC

Close to 3 years at Goldman Sachs working in the Asset Management marketing team. Led go-to-market activities on digital channels for 7 ETFs, managed performance marketing campaigns targeted at fund distributors, institutional investors and family offices that led to gross sales of over $476 mn, led post-merger integration workstreams for platform integrations, rebranding, website reskinning, rebranding of over 370 funds. I also lead the SEO function within Asset Management Marketing.

Lead the mentorship program for the entire Asset Management marketing team under direct supervision of the Asset Management CMO.

Led 3 person team to regional finals of Analyst Impact Fund, where teams identify nonprofits that are tackling global challenges and pitch innovative solutions to the firm’s leadership.

After junior year in college interned at an Indian NGO called Goonj where I did fieldwork in rural India, directly mobilizing 150 individuals for rural development projects such as canal digging, shed construction, cultivating a school kitchen garden. Built a lead list for fundraising. Organized collection camps that raised over 1 metric tonne of material and $24,000 in monetary contributions. Worked directly with organization leadership to launch a range of upcylced products to monetize surplus material by producing and marketing a range of upcycled sustainable lifestyle products (bags, accessories). Set up kiosks at collection drives, earned $1200 gross sales in pilot.

Post MBA goals: Long term is to set up a PE firm focused on deploying growth equity in India. Short term is to transition from Asset Management marketing to a more core finance role in IB, preferably in FSG an group.

Anything else?
Organizer of film festival at university
Co-founded graphic design and creative club in high school

Many thanks for your consideration

smukherjee42 I will keep things honest and clear. Lots of good things in your profile. But I am getting a sense that you are not seeing the bigger picture, which is also why the schools, ISB or abroad, will find many gaps in your reasoning for transitioning from asset management marketing to core finance.

An MBA should not be the first attempt to take advantage of learning opportunities. Most successful applicants to top MBA programs show the initiative to gain additional experience by taking on projects before MBA that take them out of their comfort zone and toward their post MBA goals.

Motivation to move into a new field and develop professionally can be demonstrated by examples such as seeking internships, projects, or shadowing industry leaders in entry-level jobs (in core finance in IB/ PE). If a post-MBA goal is tied to evidence that you have gained relevant experience (even though it may not be thorough) and have gone the extra mile, the credibility of your goals increases significantly.

At the same time, you need to be pragmatic. Since you are targeting IB let's say, you should demonstrate that you know the current state of the industry in the target region and, if applicable, that you have a network in this area. For example, the recent downturn in deal-making and fundraising caused by the rise in interest rates and inflation in the U.S., and exacerbated by the war in Ukraine, has had a significant impact on the industry, as well as on recruitment in the US. The financing of leveraged transactions, which is an essential aspect, was affected as banks had to withdraw their support. Therefore, business schools will expect you to realistically assess how you can use your background to gain a foothold in IB/PE a particular field or region.

Your GRE with a Q160 is another story (for someone aspiring to switch to finance). The sooner you realize what steps you must take, the better the odds will be for you.

It goes without saying that thorough research and a solid plan for how you will achieve your goals will make all the difference.

Feel free to seek further advice.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello krishnateja93

Past scores are average, so is the GMAT, no clarity on the university or stream of B Tech.
Work ex needs further exploration on career progression, achievements and impact at work for the sake of storytelling.
Diversity elements need to be brought out, especially considering the lack of strong extracurricular activities.
Lastly, no mention of career goals means the most important piece of the admissions puzzle is missing.
Much work is needed at this stage on all of the above to build a strong application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

krishnateja93 wrote:
ISB Profile Evaluation
Do I stand any chance?

Work Ex. 5 years
GMAT Score - 710
Educational Qualifications:
1. 10th - 75%
2. 12th - 85.6%
3. Btech - 66% (Completed in 5 years instead of 4 years)

Work Experience:
1. Working as an Operation executive.
2. Worked as Community manager for an edtech platform for 18 Months.
3. Worked as a content developer for an edtech platform for 11 months

Extra Curricular/Achievements:
No Extra currics or any kind of achievements in personal or professional sphere
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello riyajha28

Yours is a mixed bag. Actually past scores and GMAT is not as much a weakness as you think.
What needs work however, is a) telling the work story (family business, career progression, achievements and impact at work) b) tying this up together with clear and realistic career goals (no mention of this anywhere).
Diversity is another aspect ISB will look at but I think in your case that can still be brought out due to the nature of your work (though strong extracurricular activities seem to be missing- school /university activities generally don't add much weight unless the accomplishments are stellar or still relevant).
Key focus is the work ex story and clarity of vision of career goals (why MBA/ISB at all)

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

riyajha28 wrote:
I was hoping to recieve some insights on my profile. I wanted your opinion on how can I improve my profile in the 2 odd months that I have and how hopeful should I be.
I'm targeting ISB as my top choice and SP Jain and MDI if ISB doesn't pan out.
Currently, I have a score of 710 (Q48 and V38) and I hope to write again by 1st week of Nov since Q48 is the 65th percentile and SP Jain needs a sectional score of 75 percentile.

I graduated with a BBA from Symbiosis Pune in 2021 and have been working in my parent's startup since then as a co-founder. I also had my own venture during college until 2022 which I shut down following the funding winter since a lot of projects that I was receiving dried up. The current startup is geared towards providing healthcare facilities through IoT-enabled devices in semi-urban and rural areas. My own startup was a gigworking platform for women who wanted to work from home owing to their family obligations. We provided them with work and training to get the work done. I have worked with some really big names like Google Pay, Phonepe, Paytm, and Rapido, among others during college. I was part of a Rotaract and also part of my college's social working club in addition to working with a US-based NGO called the Climate Reality Project. I also have a research paper published.

My 10th/12th/College has been: 87/92/7.7 in addition to my 710 which I'm hoping to bump up by the time I submit the application.

Things I believe that work in my favour are my work ex, decent college, volunteering work and gender.
Things that worry me include a mediocre academic track record, my score and the immense competition at ISB.

I have my essays written out, but they don't really tell a story or capture my personality, which I've generally counted on while interacting with people.

Do let me know what you guys think, I'd highly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
Riya.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
admitStreet wrote:
riyajha28 wrote:
I was hoping to recieve some insights on my profile. I wanted your opinion on how can I improve my profile in the 2 odd months that I have and how hopeful should I be.
Currently, I have a score of 710 (Q48 and V38) and I hope to write again by 1st week of Nov since Q48 is the 65th percentile and SP Jain needs a sectional score of 75 percentile.

I graduated with a BBA from Symbiosis Pune in 2021 and have been working in my parent's startup since then as a co-founder. I also had my own venture during college until 2022 which I shut down following the funding winter since a lot of projects that I was receiving dried up. The current startup is geared towards providing healthcare facilities through IoT-enabled devices in semi-urban and rural areas. My own startup was a gigworking platform for women who wanted to work from home owing to their family obligations. We provided them with work and training to get the work done. I have worked with some really big names like Google Pay, Phonepe, Paytm, and Rapido, among others during college. I was part of a Rotaract and also part of my college's social working club in addition to working with a US-based NGO called the Climate Reality Project. I also have a research paper published.

My 10th/12th/College has been: 87/92/7.7 in addition to my 710 which I'm hoping to bump up by the time I submit the application.

Things I believe that work in my favour are my work ex, decent college, volunteering work and gender.
Things that worry me include a mediocre academic track record, my score and the immense competition at ISB.

I have my essays written out, but they don't really tell a story or capture my personality, which I've generally counted on while interacting with people.

Thanks in advance,
Riya.

riyajha28 - quick q before sharing some feedback: What are your goals post MBA i.e. do you plan to go back to running your business, or enter the workforce (if so, which sector/ function/ roles are you targeting)?

Regards,
Arvind
HEC Paris MBA alum, Admissions interviewer

Hi! I've added my post MBA goals, do check it out when possible. Thank you :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Send PM
riyajha28 wrote:

Post MBA goals: Since there is an entire essay on this, I have thought this out. ISB has asked how will their PGP help in achieving a candidate's goals. I have written that I want to go back and expand the business internationally since I do not yet have much international exp in my profile, however I am not sure if it falls under short or long-term goals.
Here are my goals:
A. Short term: content knowledge, networking opportunities, development of critical thinking skills, leveraging diversity at ISB for a more holistic perspective, credibility, etc. On the work front, I aim to get more hands-on on the operations side and bring in institutional investors.
B. Long-term (unsure of how to word this): In the next decade or so take over from my parents at running the company and expand internationally.

Thanks in advance,
Riya.

@riyajha29

It's been ages that I have seen a very refreshing profile here.

Going by the themes that I see in your profile, I see much potential in narrative shaping. This is because you have exposure to building ventures and probably have received support and training from within your family, considering how your parents are involved in this venture with you.

The key to cracking an admit is to focus on how you have contributed to scaling the operations and achieving the team's objectives, especially since you are the leader of your "functional responsibility." As a co-founder, you would have worn many hats in your startup and hustled to bring order and structure to the business. What are the key learnings you've gained? About the markets, the target audience, customers, as well as about yourself as a young entrepreneur? All of these aspects should find their place in your neatly structured narrative.

Furthermore, one way for young applicants to stand out is to demonstrate how they excel compared to other aspirants who are similarly positioned in terms of age and experience. Highlighting your mature outlook and deeper understanding of the industry you want to operate will help you truly differentiate your profile.

Your goals lack clarity. Your goals must be clear in terms of industry, function and geography, even if the goals are in self-employment or family business or startup. Then you can elaborate how these goals will add to your knowledge toolkit and take you in the direction where you can attain your long-term objectives and fulfillment. At a time when you are working on your startup and could better use your capital for business, the adcom might wonder whether you are truthful about your goals to return to the startup. What about the ROI? What you have written in short term goals can signal that it might still be a bit early for you to apply. 1-year programs are very rigorous and therefore the adcoms expect you to join the program with clarity regarding what you want to achieve and why. MBA essays are all about passion, they are about how ready you are to address a problem in the world or seize an opportunity that will have a significant impact on an industry. To address your goals effectively, your passion must be reflected through your narrative.

Also, never follow a fixed template for your B School essays, every profile is different and you yourself should determine what stories and structure will best present your personality. Feel free to reach out.

Get candid advice tailored to your specific situation. We do not cap discussion hours with our applicants

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [1]
Send PM