Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: Mining corporations might be employing a much larger proportion of [#permalink]
My answer is B

Since this is a comparison between "x" and the rest and "x" is better than the rest, then the proper comparison pattern is "x is better than any OTHER".

This eliminates answers A, C and D.

E. Wrong comparison - it compares what mining corps do (action) to government (the entity).

B. Fixes the comparison problem in E by adding a helping verb "does" to the end.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619095 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Mining corporations might be employing a much larger proportion of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest Starts

QUESTION #7:

Mining corporations might be employing a much larger proportion of anthropologists to study tribal land holding patterns than does any government.

A. a much larger proportion of anthropologists to study tribal land holding patterns than does any government
B. a much larger proportion of anthropologists to study tribal land holding patterns than any other government does
C. much larger proportions of anthropologists to study tribal land holding patterns than has any government
D. a much larger proportion of anthropologists to study tribal land holding patterns than any government
E. a much larger proportion of anthropologists to study tribal land holding patterns than any other government

Check conditions below:

For the following two weekends we'll be publishing 4 FRESH math questions and 4 FRESH verbal questions per weekend.

To participate, you will have to reply with your best answer/solution to the new questions that will be posted on Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM Pacific.
Then a week later, respective forum moderators will be selecting 2 winners who provided most correct answers to the questions, along with best solutions. Those winners will get 6-months access to GMAT Club Tests.

PLUS! Based on the answers and solutions for all the questions published during the project ONE user will be awarded with ONE Grand prize. He/She can opt for one of the following as a Grand Prize. It will be a choice for the winner:
-- GMAT Online Comprehensive (If the student wants an online GMAT preparation course)
-- GMAT Classroom Program (Only if he/she has a Jamboree center nearby and is willing to join the classroom program)

Bookmark this post to come back to this discussion for the question links - there will be 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday!

There is only one Grand prize and student can choose out of the above mentioned too options as per the conditions mentioned in blue font.
All announcements and winnings are final and no whining :-) GMAT Club reserves the rights to modify the terms of this offer at any time.

NOTE: Test Prep Experts and Tutors are asked not to participate. We would like to have the members maximize their learning and problem solving process.

Thank you!

JAMBOBREE OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

“The comparison should be between what the mining corporations are doing and what the government is doing

1. .... CORRECT
2. ....,any other government' would imply that the mining corporation is also a government
3. .....,proportions' is wrong, plural not required
4. 'government does, is required. Without the verb, there is ambiguity in meaning, it may seem that the comparison is between anthropologists and the government
5. Same as D and B

Answer: A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
I have doubts with choice A. I understand 'does' is necessary to avoid the ambiguity in meaning but what 'does' replaces? Ideally there should be a verb in present indefinite tense in the first part of the comparison. But we have a present continuous tense 'might be employing'.

Another thing, it is entirely illogical for Mining corporations to employ a government. So, is it really ambiguous to omit 'does' after than?

Experts pls help.

Binit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I was debating between option A and B.

I understand that the action of the mining corporations should be compared to the actions of the government.

Not sure how the placement of the word 'does' changes the meaning of the sentence.

Could someone please explain why option B is wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619095 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aman1012 wrote:
official answer please

Please read the whole thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/jamboree-and ... l#p1602019
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Leonaann wrote:
I was debating between option A and B.

I understand that the action of the mining corporations should be compared to the actions of the government.

Not sure how the placement of the word 'does' changes the meaning of the sentence.

Could someone please explain why option B is wrong?
Hi Leonaann,

The positioning of does is not important here. Ignore it.

X has more employees than any other Y does would make sense only if X is a kind of Y, because the word other has been used.

China has more pandas than any other country does.

This is fine, because China is a country.

My local zoo has more pandas than any other country does.

This implies that my local zoo is a country.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts