It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 03:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journey to Kellogg School of Management.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.25
Re: Journey to Kellogg School of Management. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 11:50
Hey, that's a very detailed review, and I learnt a couple of good points to take away.
By the way, what is your GPA? I have a 750 GMAT too, but with a GPA of 6.6/10 in IIT (assuming ~2.8 on 4 point scale), and 3 years work experience at matriculation, and good extra curriculars and community work. Checking what my chances could be at Kellogg. Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 11:39
Hi mgg234
Fairly new to the site and as a Kellogg alum I found myself looking on this thread and saw a question about scholarships and thought with my 15 yrs on the admissions side I could perhaps give some insight. Each school does have their own strategies on how to use their precious fellowship budget. I wouldn't overthink it too much- it really has more to do with whether or not you are in a key pool that the school is trying to deliver on- more women? more from a certain region of the world? more bankers? More from West coast etc. You get the idea. Not that much you can do to control that part of it. What you can control is to be sure you are seen through the whole process. And so for that, as a general rule, I would say you want to be in the earliest application pool that you can assuming you are ready to submit. Even great candidates in R3 often get little because the $$ are simply already committed. The ED at CBS I can't speak to directly and that would be obviously different because it is binding. These are the kinds of questions that an admissions consultant can help you navigate - even on an hourly basis so while it is not applicable to you on the thread now- congrats on being done, I just thought I'd shed hopefully a little insight on the thread!

mgg234 wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
mgg234 wrote:
Small update....I got a decent scholarship through the financial aid departments (~12k or so per year) which made me feel much better about the debt - I didn't even know that was a possibility, so was a welcome surprise. Last day of work is Thursday, everything is coming up so quick!

Awesome deal on the scholarship! Any idea on how the scholarships are awarded? I'm going all in this year with a CBS ED application while working on Kellogg/Sloan/Stern/Johnson R1 apps. I heard from a friend that going ED was a bad idea because there's almost no incentive for them to give me scholarship money.

I already know that I'm a border applicant and that if I do get into CBS I'll take it, but the possible weight of $200k loans is making this whole business school decision very stressful! :crazy: :puke

For merit, they tell you on the phone when they call to accept you, or mail it to you shortly afterwards. Depends on the school, but in general ~30% of acceptances get some sort of merit-scholarship. Only a handful of school have need-based, but those that do, provide you with it after you fill out the FAFSA. Harvard and Stanford are outliers in that they do need-based only...but they also have huge endowments, so they are able to offer people generous packages.

The schools claim ED has no impact on scholarships, and I do know people from ED who did get scholarships....but, you're right, there is an incentive for them to give out less from ED, and business schools lie about this type of stuff all the time, so I think its a valid concern (especially when there is no way for us to audit them).

Also, Columbia has by far the worst financial aid of the M7, so they are the least likely to give you a scholarship (They are also the most expensive), so keep that in mind when applying. Although unethical, many people pay the $6000 deposit, and renege on ED to attend a different university, so thats certainly an option.

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 02:46
Congrats on Kellogg!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 54

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 11:38
Also worth mentioning Kellogg has now doubled their financial aid compared to when I applied (northwestern as a whole is flush with cash from a multi billion dollar drug they discovered/patented), so new students are getting very generous scholarships compared to when I applied.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 54

Re: Journey to Kellogg School of Management.   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2016, 11:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Journey to Kellogg School of Management.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap