GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 11:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 21:50
Hi,
I’ve got admitted to Northwestern Kellogg, UC Berkeley-Haas (MBA/MPH), Michigan-Ross, and WashU-Olin. I narrowed down my choices to Kellogg and Haas, but I am still on the fence and cannot decide where to go.
I am from Japan and now working for a pharmaceutical firm in the development department. So far my post-MBA goal is to go back to healthcare, but I might rather want to focus on the digital health field and work. It might be working in a venture company, VC for digital health, or even a tech company. I still think pharma or medical device industries are also OK. I hope to work in the US or a European country.
I’ll move to the US with my wife and 2 children.
Kellogg didn’t grant me a scholarship, and I’m waiting for the scholarship decision of Haas. Michigan granted me a half-tuition scholarship.
Here are the pro/cons I think:

Kellogg (+)
1) Brand, higher ranking in MBA
2) Larger class, larger alumni network (also in Japan)
3) Evanston seems safer than Berkeley. Balanced family town.
Kellogg (-)
1) Weather: seems chilly in the winter
2) Only 2 years: might be short for my children to get exposure to a different language

Berkeley (+)
1) Dual degree: satisfies my intellectual curiosity and would be a safety net for my future career
2) Longer period: MBA/MPH program requires 2.5 years, which is longer and better for my children’s education
3) Better opportunities for digital health
4) Better weather: My wife seems to prefer Cal
5) Small class: stronger bond
Berkeley (-)
1) Small alumni network
2) Lower MBA ranking
3) Higher living costs

Do you have any comments or advice for me?
Of course, comments on Michigan are also welcome.
Thank you,
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 12:32
Happy wife, happy life
Literally every perception in your post is spot on, not sure that anyone else is going to have much to add.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 14:37
Congratulations mosat! Great job securing those great admits!

I think there is a bit to say about future employers - where would they be located? I just don't know enough but if there is a large concentration of your target companies in Chicago, that makes sense to go Kellogg rather than move in a few years. Would make sense to somewhat settle down and build your presence in the US. In terms of rankings and reputation, West Coast schools have a harder time placing people outside of CA due to nobody wanting to move and also since there is a bit of a stigma/reputation challenge when it relates to west coast (east coasters thing they are too relaxed and lack discipline).... possibly true ;-)

Kids and family are a big part of the decision. You should not let them make it but include your wife (she can speak on behalf of kids) and if she has a very strong opinion, you may just go along with it. We are somewhat guessing how your life will go and what will happen and that's really a best guess at this point.

- It is interesting perspective about the program length - most would prefer the shorter version since they could start working sooner and recoup some of the income.

- Moving from Japan, you will likely find Berkeley and Chicago to have more space and certain things be slightly cheaper.

- Living in Berkeley, you will definitely need a car, while in Chicago you can probably get away without one, though depends on where you live.

- Berkeley is probably more Asian friendly than Evanston or even Chicago but I don't know Evanston/Chicago besides 5 trips/visits that were fairly cursory. However, for sure Bay Area is heavily represented with the Asian population so it is easy to find an Asian market, restaurants, preschools, etc.

Congratulations on your admits! Hope Haas comes through with some Aid!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Founder
Founder
V
Re: Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 20:21
Something to add - Your writing is really really good by the way. How are you with public speaking, networking and with presentation skills?
Knowing some of the cultural differences of Japan vs. US, you probably want to leverage as much school recruiting as you can - it would not hurt at least. Kellogg would provide that - more employers come on campus to Kellogg.... significantly more. Which is part of the reason 83% of grads are employed at graduation at Kellogg vs. 69% at Haas.

P.S. You may want to consider improving your presentation/pitch/language skills while you are waiting for the bschool to start. Anyone can and while it seems kind of superficial - first impressions mean a lot and great delivery and speech skills will help in every class and in every aspect of the bschool. They are also very clear and immediately come out unlike one's programming or accounting skills, which are really hard to show off during a coffee or a casual chat or even in class.

Founder of GMAT Club

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 23:34
Someone asked me to post a summary of the data for Haas vs. other programs. You can find it here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-school-s ... ml?fl=menu
You can also get a screenshot of different view from US News. You can see West Coast Schools don't fare great for employed at graduation number.
Attachments

haas2.png
haas2.png [ 130.3 KiB | Viewed 990 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Current Student
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 05:58
I'm not sure that the post-graduate employment number is affected by students being selective with their employers & choosing to recruit just in time or not being able to find something to their liking. I've spoken to numerous students from Haas and Stanford and I don't think I ran into someone who had problem finding what they wanted. Most people I've met from top 10 institutions are generally competent & can find decent jobs even without the support of career centers.

With that said, I think the biggest thing you should consider here is which firms you'd like to work at. If you're aiming for firms like Amgen and Genentech, going to Haas will probably be fine. If you're looking at opportunities beyond the west coast (e.g. Medtronic), you should consider (1) your ability to network as an international student and (2) whether Kellogg is a target school at some of these other firms you're looking at.

If you feel comfortable networking and are confident in applying to off campus opportunities OR Haas offers roughly the same career resources, I think going to California would make your wife's life much easier. While big cities like Chicago are Asian friendly to some extent, I don't think there's a region that compares to California when it comes to that - especially when you have kids. Like indecisive said, happy wife, happy life. You need a sane (and thus supportive) wife to focus on your business school experience and recruiting effort.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 09:30
bb wrote:
Something to add - Your writing is really really good by the way. How are you with public speaking, networking and with presentation skills?
Knowing some of the cultural differences of Japan vs. US, you probably want to leverage as much school recruiting as you can - it would not hurt at least. Kellogg would provide that - more employers come on campus to Kellogg.... significantly more. Which is part of the reason 83% of grads are employed at graduation at Kellogg vs. 69% at Haas.

P.S. You may want to consider improving your presentation/pitch/language skills while you are waiting for the bschool to start. Anyone can and while it seems kind of superficial - first impressions mean a lot and great delivery and speech skills will help in every class and in every aspect of the bschool. They are also very clear and immediately come out unlike one's programming or accounting skills, which are really hard to show off during a coffee or a casual chat or even in class.

What do you suggest as the best way for improving speech skills? I know that Toastmasters has generally been a good option-- but I wonder in this digital age if there are some good new online resources. I'm always interested in building on this topic-- so if you have specific suggestions please share!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 09:45
Toastmasters is the most economical and the best ROI for improving one’s speaking skills. I loved my local club and truly miss it as I type now. They were hardcore and met at 7 am on Saturdays. :-)

I would suggest going to several clubs at the same time and if they are not in English, I would also get a native speaker to help with accent/etc.

I would also recommend volunteering for a presentation at work and getting a speech coach if you can afford one. Usually many toast master clubs will have speech coaches who are part of the club. They can help not only with speaking but also crafting and structuring the message. I have worked with one and found it very rewarding and productive. It was hard work but the rewards were great as well.

PS. In Bschool within a year most folks are usually split between US and International students. Part of the reason is speaking skills and cultural connection. Having good speaking skills will help to move across the clicks and groups. Better speaking skills will also help with being heard and understood. It can be frustrating if I can’t express myself.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare &nbs [#permalink] 18 Jan 2018, 09:45

Kellogg vs BerkeleyHaas (MBA/MPH) vs Michigan (half $) for healthcare

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap