GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 18:42
I know I don't post much but this forum was so helpful in my grad school prep I thought I would contribute with my interview experience!

Had my interview tonight at 7PM; actually just finished up about a half hour ago.

Interviewer was John Hughes, a very cordial and welcoming man who made me feel at ease. He initiated the call about 5 min early, as I was already online with Skype and sitting at my desk going over some notes. When he called, I had a moment where I froze and thought "OH MAN I'M SO UNPREPARED" but I pulled it together, accepted the call, and took a deep breath...

The interview itself was wonderful! John was incredibly warm and conversational and overall is an excellent interviewer. He seems to have a natural ability to set people at ease and get them engaged in the conversation.

Here are the questions I can remember he asked:

Where are you from/tell me about your hometown?
What activities did you engage in during high school?
Walk me through your resume.
If I had a conversation with your favorite recommender, how would he answer these two questions?
What two single words would you use to describe AFMan916?
What would you say AFMan916 should improve upon?
What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Do you feel your GMAT and GPA are truly representative of your abilities?
What are your short term goals?
What is your ultimate long-term goal (in 30 years, things have gone according to plan, what are you doing?)
You've been given an impromptu day off, how do you spend it?
Why Kenan Flagler?
Why MBA?
Any questions for me?

Overall, a wonderful experience and great interviewer. For those of you who have the privilege of speaking with John Hughes, you're in for a treat!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 09:54
Thanks to everyone sharing their experience. I got done with my interview as well. Lasted 30 mins. Was more q&a type but very comfortable. standard set of Qs.
walk me through your resume, Why MBA, Why KF, How do you work in a team, Goals, Any difficult hurdle in professional experience, major strengths, major accomplishment, one weakness and then to my Qs.

Happy with the experience. hope the above helps and Good luck to all!

LPN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 10:02
AFMan916 wrote:
I know I don't post much but this forum was so helpful in my grad school prep I thought I would contribute with my interview experience!

Had my interview tonight at 7PM; actually just finished up about a half hour ago.

Interviewer was John Hughes, a very cordial and welcoming man who made me feel at ease. He initiated the call about 5 min early, as I was already online with Skype and sitting at my desk going over some notes. When he called, I had a moment where I froze and thought "OH MAN I'M SO UNPREPARED" but I pulled it together, accepted the call, and took a deep breath...

The interview itself was wonderful! John was incredibly warm and conversational and overall is an excellent interviewer. He seems to have a natural ability to set people at ease and get them engaged in the conversation.

Here are the questions I can remember he asked:

Where are you from/tell me about your hometown?
What activities did you engage in during high school?
Walk me through your resume.
If I had a conversation with your favorite recommender, how would he answer these two questions?
What two single words would you use to describe AFMan916?
What would you say AFMan916 should improve upon?
What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Do you feel your GMAT and GPA are truly representative of your abilities?
What are your short term goals?
What is your ultimate long-term goal (in 30 years, things have gone according to plan, what are you doing?)
You've been given an impromptu day off, how do you spend it?
Why Kenan Flagler?
Why MBA?
Any questions for me?

Overall, a wonderful experience and great interviewer. For those of you who have the privilege of speaking with John Hughes, you're in for a treat!

Thanks man for sharing your interview experience. I wish you very best for the results!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 00:21
Guys... I have been given a new leadership role in my team. Though its not a promotion, but more like formal increase in my responsibilities. I was hoping to tell the same to the ad-com team. What will be the right way to do so? Should I email? If yes, then to whom?

Also, is it okay to communicate this to ad-com, even if it is not a promotion, but a formal increase in my responsibilities?

PS : My interview is already completed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 01:37
nalin1 wrote:
Guys... I have been given a new leadership role in my team. Though its not a promotion, but more like formal increase in my responsibilities. I was hoping to tell the same to the ad-com team. What will be the right way to do so? Should I email? If yes, then to whom?

Also, is it okay to communicate this to ad-com, even if it is not a promotion, but a formal increase in my responsibilities?

Yes, do mention it to the admissions team by sending them a mail. However, as its not a promotion then do talk about any challenge you faced in this leadership role or something you learned through this leadership experience. You can also talk about what style you have adapted as a leader.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 06:18
AdiRedDevil wrote:
nalin1 wrote:

Yes, do mention it to the admissions team by sending them a mail. However, as its not a promotion then do talk about any challenge you faced in this leadership role or something you learned through this leadership experience. You can also talk about what style you have adapted as a leader.

As you suggested, I should just drop an email to the admissions team, explaining about my role and my experiences. What if that mail goes un-noticed? What I mean to say is do they take care of such mails when they make decisions about admissions? Isn't there any formal way to do that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 07:52
nalin1 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
nalin1 wrote:

As you suggested, I should just drop an email to the admissions team, explaining about my role and my experiences. What if that mail goes un-noticed? What I mean to say is do they take care of such mails when they make decisions about admissions? Isn't there any formal way to do that?

Well most universities will ask you to do the same, but I would suggest you could drop a mail to the admission committee or give them a call and ask for the way to include your recent achievement in your profile.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 04:09
hey nalin1, do update the ad-com about this , even if they dont take it into account u got nothing to lose right?

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 05:27
Thank you guys for helping me out here. I called them, and they asked me to send an email. And they said that they will update my file manually. Thanks AdiRedDevil and vinzycoolfire. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 06:11
nalin1 wrote:
Thank you guys for helping me out here. I called them, and they asked me to send an email. And they said that they will update my file manually. Thanks AdiRedDevil and vinzycoolfire. :-D

You are welcome Nalini!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 06:56
AdiRedDevil wrote:
nalin1 wrote:

You are welcome Nalini!

Its Nalin. I am a boy. :P :lol:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2013, 10:42
nalin1 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
nalin1 wrote:

You are welcome Nalini!

he he :lol: :lol:

this time, we play for keeps

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2013, 11:14
nalin1 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
nalin1 wrote:

You are welcome Nalini!

haha, let me rephrase my sentence then. Welcome Nalin :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Dec 2013, 19:04
keep waiting!!

Originally posted by xiangxder on 02 Dec 2013, 19:01.
Last edited by xiangxder on 03 Dec 2013, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2013, 21:52
Its Nalin. I am a boy. :P :lol:[/quote]

haha, let me rephrase my sentence then. Welcome Nalin :)[/quote]

haha... Thank you for your consideration! :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2013, 22:47
nalin1 wrote:

haha, let me rephrase my sentence then. Welcome Nalin :)[/quote]

haha... Thank you for your consideration! :D[/quote]

haha
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2013, 21:47
Decision is due in 10 days!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Dec 2013, 16:46
keep faith!

Originally posted by xiangxder on 04 Dec 2013, 01:42.
Last edited by xiangxder on 04 Dec 2013, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2013, 11:00
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: MBA Community Service Day: A Lesson in Community and Teamwork
Written by Lauren Braswell, MBA 2015

As I found myself with one foot in North America and another in the Pacific Ocean, I realized I was quite literally having a global experience that Saturday as an incoming MBA student at the UNC Kenan-Flagler School of Business. My fellow MBA students and I were in the Frank Porter Graham Elementary School courtyard hard at work painting a mural of the world.

How on earth (pun intended) did we get here?

Eager to begin the next phase of our lives as MBA students, many of my classmates and I chose to attend summer classes in preparation for the demanding courses slated for the fall. Along with the opportunity to begin forging friendships with our future classmates, we were also lucky to participate in this summer’s MBA Community Service Day.

Frank Porter Graham Elementary School, a school that encourages cultural awareness while ensuring that all students are bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish, was a perfect volunteer option for the MBA Community Service Day. As we MBA students embarked on the next phase of our education and global careers, the school’s mission aligned with Kenan-Flagler’s own atmosphere of diversity and cultural understanding.

The UNC Kenan-Flagler core values of community and teamwork were in full display that Saturday. Our task was to repaint a faded mural located in the school’s outdoor activity area. In addition to being faded by the elements, recent storms had coated the mural with dirt and debris. While the large majority of volunteers had never painted a mural before, our team approached the challenge with the enthusiasm, dedication, and collaboration I’d come to expect from my peers.

Our morning volunteers handled preparing the space for the new mural, which included sweeping, washing, and priming the concrete. Some volunteers spent hours in the hot sun painting, some volunteers made additional supply runs for more paint, and some volunteers stayed later than expected to ensure the mural was completed successfully. I personally enjoyed getting to know my classmates even better by having some fun doing good for our community.

By the time we finished the mural in the early evening, we had brightened the courtyard with (Tar Heel) blue and cream paint. The incoming students now had an inviting place for lessons in the courtyard. The vice principal was pleased by our work and noted that parents and students would certainly enjoy the new activity space.

All in all, I would say that MBA Community Service Day was a success. Upon the completion of our degree, my classmates and I will embark on careers across the world. But for now, we can all look forward to working side-by-side to make our community a little brighter.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2013, 11:00
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Global Business Project: Navigating Innovation & Culture in Brazil
Written by Bridget Brennan, MBA 2014

After months of preparation, it was tremendously exciting to finally be off to Brazil! All GBP teams launched the in-country portion of their projects by gathering in one city prior to dispersing to client locations. The Hub City Weekend for us brasileros was held in Porto Alegre, and graciously hosted by GBP partner university UNISINOS. Porto Alegre is in the south of Brazil, and though famous for its gaucho (cowboy) culture, is also home to many thriving businesses, including SAP and Grupo RBS, who were both GBP clients and Hub City sponsors. Compared to the beach-town vibe of Rio, which I visited prior to the project launch, and lively, expansive, and traffic-choked São Paulo, where our project was based, Porto Alegre offered a different variety of Brazilian city— a smaller, walkable place with a strong European influence owing to waves of German and Italian immigrants.

The Hub City weekend kick-started us into our Brazilian mindset. We heard presentations on the Brazilian legal system, history, and culture. We reconnected with our fellow GBP participants, eagerly chatted about how the virtual portion of the projects had gone, and discussed plans for completing the projects in-country. We toured the RBS headquarters, and took a stab as Brazilian TV hosts. We asked questions about innovation and the Latin American market to a panel at SAP featuring GE Healthcare. We also ran around town on a scavenger hunt that goaded us into practicing our Portuguese (I found myself carrying on a stilted conversation with some locals about their dog!)

From Porto Alegre, we dispersed to our respective project locations. For some teams, this meant heading off to agricultural or industrial parts of Brazil. For us, it meant flying into Sao Paulo, and getting settled in the hotel where we were set up for the next two weeks…we got to know the lobby area well for team meetings! We were a short cab ride away from our client site, and found that we had a dedicated conference room onsite…which we got to know quite well too! However, our project also got us out into the city; several of us attended sales calls to observe sales tools and techniques and interview sales representatives. We incorporated those findings into our final recommendations.

We worked very full days throughout our time in Sao Paulo, including on the weekends, but we also fit in time for some delicious food, some dancing, and, of course, caipirinhas. We made our final presentation to several company executives, including key managers in Brazil, and stakeholders in the US via teleconference from headquarters. They were keen to ask us questions about our findings, insights, and recommendations. They expressed enthusiasm for our ideas, and gratitude for our hard work. It was tremendously gratifying to have contributed to the company’s vision for its future. On a personal level, GBP exceeded my expectations in everything it promised: cultural immersion, business learning experience, and relationship building. I’m just glad that my Brazilian visa is good for 10 years, so that it will be easy to return!
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2013, 11:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45    Next  [ 896 posts ] 

Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap