GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2013, 11:00
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Leadership Simulation Puts Principles Into Practice
As soon as the bright red digital clock in front of the room began ticking away the seconds, student teams in the Leadership Immersion sprang into action. They dove into the Magnetic Leadership Simulation, a day-long exercise that creates the pressures of a real-world management setting in the safety of a classroom.

They took on the roles of managers brainstorming new business strategies, employees scrambling to meet deadlines, and customers demanding updates. The Kenan Center was transformed into a bustling corporate headquarters.

The Leadership Immersion is truly a one-of-kind MBA course: UNC Kenan-Flagler is the only school to offer an entire module (mini-semester) for students to focus solely on developing as leaders. Most students don’t take other classes while in the Leadership Immersion, which provides apprentice-like competitions, business simulations, outdoor challenges, along with individual coaching and feedback from executive coaches.

“One of the things we try to do is give everyone the opportunity to try on a leadership role,” said executive leadership coach Randy Marcuson, who led Embrex as president, CEO and board member for 17 years. “This simulation gives students a chance to exercise new skills and experience new situations that they’re maybe not as comfortable with. It’s a safe place to experiment, fail, receive feedback and recover.”

The simulation turned student teams into divisions of a company that manufactures and repairs magnetic equipment. Magnetic Leadership challenged student teams to design and execute business plans, manage resources and satisfy customers for three “years” or rounds of the simulation. While three students took charge of strategy as the management team, others served in a variety of operations and support roles, ranging from production to marketing.

In addition to navigating the standard challenges of daily business operations, teams adapted to curveballs built into the simulation, such as finding a way to satisfy sudden customer demand for products “Made in the USA.” They also competed against each other to achieve the highest net profit, customer satisfaction and employee engagement.

“We were put in a high-pressure situation where we had to deliver results, but the clock was always ticking,” said Anand Murali (MBA ’13). “There are so many things happening simultaneously – you have to know how to organize, how to prioritize and delegate tasks, and how to keep the team motivated.

“Basically you have to put all the theories you’ve learned so far into practice,” said Murali, who is preparing for a position in Eastman Chemical’s commercial leadership development program after graduation.

After the simulation ended, students received specific evaluations and suggestions from their teammates and their executive coaches. Magnetic Leadership incorporates the concept of “feed forward” into the reflection portion of the exercise to encourage participants to focus on how they can improve in the future, rather than simply analyzing their past performance.

“One of the great things about this program is that you get so much feedback, and that helps you become much more self-aware than you were going in,” said Hampton Barclay (MBA ’13), who will join Bank of America’s corporate workplace group after graduation. “This simulation in particular showed me a lot about where I need to improve.”

Students apply what they learned about their individual leadership styles and general best management practices to several other active learning challenges throughout the Leadership Immersion. The Magnetic Leadership Simulation is just one part of a complete process designed to provide students with the maximum amount of hands-on experience, helping ensure that they will feel comfortable and confident in their future management roles.

“I think the biggest takeaway for students is that leadership takes practice – sustained, lifelong practice,” said Lorena Clark, an executive coach with more than 30 years of leadership experience in major multinational corporations. “But first you have to understand the skills you need to practice and learn the methods or approaches to best implement them.”
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: UNC Kenan-Flagler MBAs Give Back With Local Nonprofit Boards
Written by Ellie Nave, MBA 2015

Mahatma Gandhi once said, “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” This sentiment resonates at the core of Orange County Animal Services’ mission. As the premiere open-door animal intake and shelter facility in the area, OCAS provides a multitude of Animal Control services to Orange County, including State and County law enforcement for animal-related issues, low-cost rabies clinics and spay/neuter programs, and animal adoptions. OCAS also partners with other rescue organizations in the area to place as many animals as possible into loving, safe homes. Despite their wide breadth of services, OCAS maintains an efficient and effective organizational structure.

I am currently serving OCAS as a Nonprofit Board Fellow with Steven Pray and Maria Grimshaw. The Nonprofit Board Fellows Program at UNC Kenan-Flagler provides an opportunity for MBAs to sit on the Board of Directors for a local nonprofit organization during their first year as active board members, while also working on specific projects for the organization.

This is the first time OCAS has partnered with Kenan-Flagler Business School. So far we are off to a great start and have begun work on a project related to the overpopulation of free roaming cats in the community. Currently, OCAS does not have a Trap Neuter Release (TNR) permit, which would allow animal medical technicians to sterilize feral cats that have been brought to the shelter and release them back into the wild. OCAS would like to understand the impact free roaming cats have on the community and environment in order to properly address the issue and related policies. This is a very sensitive issue in the area, with passionate citizens on both sides of the fence. We look forward to gathering and analyzing data that will help shed light on the best next steps for both the animals and the community.

Bob Marotto, Director of OCAS, and his team have done an excellent job educating us on OCAS’s capabilities and needs, including us in board meeting discussions and providing us with tangible opportunities to make an impact on the organization. I look forward to working together to help this great organization achieve future success. For more information about UNC Kenan-Flagler’s Nonprofit Board Fellows Program, click here. For more information about Orange County Animal Services, click here.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Conquering the MBA admissions essay
The Round 2 deadline to apply for UNC Kenan-Flagler’s full-time MBA Program is approaching quickly, but there’s still time to apply! Applications for Round 2 must be received by Dec. 9, 2013.

We asked our MBA admissions team to share their tips and advice on navigating the admissions process – starting with the essay. Here’s their advice:

DO:

• Tell your story. Our MBA admissions team reads thousands of essays each year. To make your essay memorable, tell us why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler and how your past experiences have shaped you as a professional. Show us your personality through compelling, dynamic examples or a personal story that illustrates your points. A successful essay gives our admissions team a sense of who you are and why you are a good fit for our program.
  • Take a team approach to proofreading. Punctuation errors are incredibly easy to make, but also incredibly easy to fix. Proofread your essay for spelling, punctuation and grammar – then ask a colleague (or two) to do the same. A fresh set of eyes will often catch errors you might have missed.
  • Stick to the limit. Be concise and stick to the stated maximum length (300 or 500 words). These limits are listed for a reason – don’t ignore them.
DON’T:

• Recite your resume. The essay is the first chance for our admissions team to learn about your background and professional experience. Use examples to highlight your experience. Do not add a few words to the bullet points on your resume and call it an essay.
  • Write a generic essay. Just as every applicant is unique, so are the business programs at each school. Do not just change the school name for each application. We want to know who you are and why you want to attend UNC Kenan-Flagler.
  • Skimp on proofreading. Submitting an essay riddled with spelling, punctuation and grammar errors is the equivalent to wearing pajamas to your admissions interview. Make a good first impression by thoroughly proofreading your essay and ensuring you reference our school, UNC Kenan-Flagler, properly.
For more tips, advice and insights on navigating the MBA decision and admissions process, download UNC Kenan-Flagler’s free MBA App for the iPhone and iPad.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 05:56
Hi fellow applicants!

I was completing the last few requirements of the application and I have one question. Under documents section in the application, the school has asked for "Employment History & Other Background Information", listing in 5 sections. Is it similar to the resume or do we have to create a separate document for the same?

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 08:24
You have to create a new document & there is no word/page limit. Here you can explain in detail about the projects & activities. But do not over stretch.

AdiRedDevil wrote:
Hi fellow applicants!

I was completing the last few requirements of the application and I have one question. Under documents section in the application, the school has asked for "Employment History & Other Background Information", listing in 5 sections. Is it similar to the resume or do we have to create a separate document for the same?

Thanks in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 08:37
mbanerd16 wrote:
You have to create a new document & there is no word/page limit. Here you can explain in detail about the projects & activities. But do not over stretch.

AdiRedDevil wrote:
Hi fellow applicants!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks mate!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 08:42
Let me know if u have any other questions. Happy to help.

AdiRedDevil wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

AdiRedDevil wrote:
Hi fellow applicants!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks mate!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 10:29
mbanerd16 wrote:

AdiRedDevil wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hi fellow applicants!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks mate!
[/quote]

For certain man! Appreciate your help and offer. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 12:16

AdiRedDevil wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hi fellow applicants!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks mate![/quote][/quote]

Hi,

I have another question related to the "Employment History & Other Background Information" section in application. Under full time employment history, do I have to write just the current job title and current responsibilities or do I have to mention all the job titles held along with responsibilities at eaach job title? I ask so because I have worked only for Accenture and have not changed my job since start of my career.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 13:05
Is anyone else excited to finally have this completed?

re:AdiRedDevil

I listed each position as a separate section and listed "Promotion" as the reason for job change.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 13:42
mistablair wrote:

I listed each position as a separate section and listed "Promotion" as the reason for job change.

Thanks for sharing... Yes, I certainly will be happy and relived once I complete the application!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 19:47
Quote:
Hi,

I have another question related to the "Employment History & Other Background Information" section in application. Under full time employment history, do I have to write just the current job title and current responsibilities or do I have to mention all the job titles held along with responsibilities at eaach job title? I ask so because I have worked only for Accenture and have not changed my job since start of my career.

Thanks again!

You have to list down all the job details. If you have been with Accenture only, list down that one only. I had the same case. I just wrote that one. In part/time, you can mention your part time jobs/business that you might have done, and the summer internship too.

Anyways best of luck for you app!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 03:45
Dear Recommender name,

We want to let you know that your online recommendation for My name has been received. We appreciate your efforts on behalf of this applicant to our full-time MBA program.

Best regards,

MBA Admissions
Kenan-Flagler Business School
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
------------
Did anyone get this email twice, after the recommenders submitted their recommendations?
I got both addressed to recommenders, but sent to my email ID. And then I got another 2 emails saying that the recommendation was received.

And my recommenders didn't get a confirmation email at all, apparently!
Should I write to the Admissions Team and seek clarification?

Thanks. Btw, I just submitted my application. 4/8 done; the next 20-25 days will be hell, since I have to prepare 4 more apps. :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 07:14
nalin1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks again!

You have to list down all the job details. If you have been with Accenture only, list down that one only. I had the same case. I just wrote that one. In part/time, you can mention your part time jobs/business that you might have done, and the summer internship too.

Anyways best of luck for you app!

Thanks Nalin for sharing!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 07:17
kaustubhkul wrote:
Dear Recommender name,

We want to let you know that your online recommendation for My name has been received. We appreciate your efforts on behalf of this applicant to our full-time MBA program.

Best regards,

MBA Admissions
Kenan-Flagler Business School
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
------------
Did anyone get this email twice, after the recommenders submitted their recommendations?
I got both addressed to recommenders, but sent to my email ID. And then I got another 2 emails saying that the recommendation was received.

And my recommenders didn't get a confirmation email at all, apparently!
Should I write to the Admissions Team and seek clarification?

Thanks. Btw, I just submitted my application. 4/8 done; the next 20-25 days will be hell, since I have to prepare 4 more apps. :roll:

Kaustubh, I too received the same mail twice! I thought it may be a glitch with UNC's system. I believe we should ask adcom about the same. DO let me know their response.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 07:40
Sure!
I wrote to them and forwarded the email addressed to my 1st recommender as evidence.
Let's see what they say; I'll paste their response here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 07:58
kaustubhkul wrote:
Sure!
I wrote to them and forwarded the email addressed to my 1st recommender as evidence.
Let's see what they say; I'll paste their response here.

Thanks Kaustubh!
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 09:22
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 09:37
mistablair wrote:

I also have a question about this document. Do we need to list every part-time job that we've had, including college? I probably worked 8-10 different jobs at various points during undergrad and it would be a real pain to try to go digging out the exact dates and all of that info. None of those were "high-skill" jobs, so they don't really contribute to my overall work-experience.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 10:38
Has anyone received an acceptance phone call from the school for Round 1? When I visited and interviewed, I was told that last year they called those that were accepted the weekend before, but they weren't sure if they were doing the same this year.

Anxious over here!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2013, 10:38

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45    Next  [ 896 posts ] 

Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: abhimahna, Kelen