GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 15:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and c

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Simon '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Feb 2017, 10:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:01) correct 43% (01:15) wrong based on 339 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and close some of its 620 retail locations.

A. plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and close some of its

B. its plans to cut more than at least 7,000 jobs and close some of their

C. plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and to close some of their

D. that it plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and closes some of its

E. their plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and to close some of their

Please explain how come the OA is a complete sentence. Veritas is making people to reach OA by POE but the OAs are not always grammatically correct. That is so not GMAT like!

Originally posted by SMP on 13 Feb 2017, 02:25.
Last edited by SMP on 13 Feb 2017, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 03:20
A. Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and close some of its
B. Last month, Saxton’s announced its plans to cut more than at least 7,000 jobs and close some of their
C. Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and to close some of their
D. Last month, Saxton’s announced that it plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and closes some of its
E. Last month, Saxton’s announced their plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and to close some of their

B,C, and E have pronoun errors.
D has past and present tenses issue.
A is grammatically correct and the best choice among the 5 Hence, answer A.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and c [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 03:27
This sentence does not seem correct to me
Top Contributor
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 08:30
Top Contributor
The way we have it in our question bank, the underline does not include "620 retail locations," so that ought to make the difference as to whether the correct answer is a fragment or not. I'm looking at it in our system and it displays with the underline only going to "its" and not all the way to the finish, but please let me know if that's not how it's displaying to anyone else!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 08:56
SajanPanchal wrote:
Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and close some of its 620 retail locations.

Please explain how come the OA is a complete sentence. Veritas is making people to reach OA by POE but the OAs are not always grammatically correct. That is so not GMAT like!

OA:

The fast way is POE. First, Saxton is singular, so B, C, E is out.

In C, "X announced that it plans to do sth" is wordy, and the better version in A is : "X announced plans to do sth"
"plans" in A is a noun, correct idiom is "anounce sth", so I see no grammatically problems here.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 09:45

The question can be solved through process of elimination since option B,C and E are wrong in their usage of pronuouns we are eliminating them and are left with

A and D, in D the closes is not parallel to announced therfore is also eliminated. so we are left with A

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 11:06
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
The way we have it in our question bank, the underline does not include "620 retail locations," so that ought to make the difference as to whether the correct answer is a fragment or not. I'm looking at it in our system and it displays with the underline only going to "its" and not all the way to the finish, but please let me know if that's not how it's displaying to anyone else!

Hey Brian,
Sorry for that underlined part. I revised that. Anyway, could you please explain how come the OA is not a fragment.
"Saxton's announced plans" is a single subject to me. Using the possessive Saxton's means that Saxton possess something and that is "announced plans" here. In that case, ANNOUNCED is not a verb and we end up lacking main verb in the sentence.

I think the OA would be correct had it been only "Saxton" and not Saxton's. My suggestion is as follow:
Last month, Saxton announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and close some of its 620 retail locations.

Is my reasoning correct?
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:07
Top Contributor
Hey Sajan,

Ah, ok now I get what you're saying. And that's really interesting, and actually brings up a tidbit about the GMAT that you weren't asking for (call that a bonus?).

So...for that problem, "Saxton's" is intended to be a brand name like "Coca Cola" or "Google." In the United States, it's pretty common for department stores, in particular, to have possessive names (Macy's, Dillard's, Marshall Field's, Hudson's, etc.). BUT if that's not universal, I could totally see where that could cause confusion. I'll go in and change the name, since the name of the store isn't at all what the question is about.

Now...on the GMAT, that's precisely why (well one of the reasons why) they do those unscored, experimental questions. For one they need to vet the difficulty, but the GMAT is also really, really concerned about cultural bias, so it monitors its results looking for signals that the same score level group in one country performs substantially better than that same group in another. Here that would probably be in play...a student in Chicago probably doesn't blink an eye considering "Saxton's" a brand name, whereas you're probably staring at it thinking "what in the world belongs to Saxton here?!" So rest assured that the GMAT has precautions to protect you from something like that (you may *see* something like that, but if you do it's almost certainly experimental and doesn't count toward your score). And you just saw how we do it at Veritas Prep...we monitor the stats for irregularities, too, and also heavily monitor the forums on new questions to see if something like this comes up. This problem went live ~5 days ago...thank you for helping us clean that cultural bias up!

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:11
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

As sajanpanchal pointed out, can you please tell me what is the subject of the given sentence?
Expert Post
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:18
Top Contributor
Saxton's is a not possessive noun meaning something possessed by "Saxton". The entire word "Saxton's" is a proper name of a singular company at issue.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 12:25
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey Sajan,

Ah, ok now I get what you're saying. And that's really interesting, and actually brings up a tidbit about the GMAT that you weren't asking for (call that a bonus?).

So...for that problem, "Saxton's" is intended to be a brand name like "Coca Cola" or "Google." In the United States, it's pretty common for department stores, in particular, to have possessive names (Macy's, Dillard's, Marshall Field's, Hudson's, etc.). BUT if that's not universal, I could totally see where that could cause confusion. I'll go in and change the name, since the name of the store isn't at all what the question is about.

Now...on the GMAT, that's precisely why (well one of the reasons why) they do those unscored, experimental questions. For one they need to vet the difficulty, but the GMAT is also really, really concerned about cultural bias, so it monitors its results looking for signals that the same score level group in one country performs substantially better than that same group in another. Here that would probably be in play...a student in Chicago probably doesn't blink an eye considering "Saxton's" a brand name, whereas you're probably staring at it thinking "what in the world belongs to Saxton here?!" So rest assured that the GMAT has precautions to protect you from something like that (you may *see* something like that, but if you do it's almost certainly experimental and doesn't count toward your score). And you just saw how we do it at Veritas Prep...we monitor the stats for irregularities, too, and also heavily monitor the forums on new questions to see if something like this comes up. This problem went live ~5 days ago...thank you for helping us clean that cultural bias up!

Yes, this makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Brian! Now I can sleep peacefully. :)
+1 Kudos to you .!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 04:03
It is still confusing . The part "and close some of its" , so here close isn't parallel to cut... shouldn't there be a to before close if both are sharing the same subject "announced"

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 07:15
aepmk wrote:
It is still confusing . The part "and close some of its" , so here close isn't parallel to cut... shouldn't there be a to before close if both are sharing the same subject "announced"

It is a rule" Once Outside OR Twice Inside".

We can have "to" once and used for both cut and close. We can also have " to cut and to close". So, both ways are correct.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 07:18
abhimahna wrote:
aepmk wrote:

It is a rule" Once Outside OR Twice Inside".

We can have "to" once and used for both cut and close. We can also have " to cut and to close". So, both ways are correct.

Thank you. Now I got it :)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 07:57
SMP wrote:

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

As you scan the answer choices for obvious Decision Points here, you should see the 3-2 split on the last word, between "their" and "its." This is a pronoun problem!

When you're working with pronouns, be sure to check the antecedent of each pronoun. Here the antecedent for all five last-word pronouns is the same: Saxton's. Since that is a singular noun, the correct answer must have "its" and not "their," and you can confidently eliminate B, C, and E.

Then move to the difference between A and D: while D has an additional pronoun ("it plans to cut..."), each construction is correct up until "7,000 jobs." But - as is often the case when a pronoun's singularity vs. plurality is a primary decision point, the next difference is a singular vs. plural verb, with "close" in A and "closes" in D. That verb belongs to the infinitive, parallel with "to cut," and so the only proper way to state that idea is "and to close." Therefore A is correct.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 18:20

-- their can't modify a singular - B , C , E are out.
-- in D , "plans" is used as a verb in simple present , but the sentence signifies past tense. (announced) . - so incorrect.
-- A is the correct answer.

Re: Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and c   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2018, 18:20

Last month, Saxton’s announced plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs and c

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap