GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 08 Jul 2020, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

LBS vs. Cambridge vs. defer

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Judge   LBS   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
LBS vs. Cambridge vs. defer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 13:09
I've been admitted to Cambridge and LBS for their MBA programs, and and I'm hoping to get some thoughts on which to choose, and specifically the option of a deferral in light of the pandemic.

If there was no pandemic to contend with, I would opt for LBS, and I really do feel now is the right time to do an MBA for me. However, I'm considering a deferral for obvious reasons. From what I have heard: LBS rarely offers deferrals, and I've heard Cambridge is being quite lenient right now in regards to that. My hesitation to defer is based on the fact that I'm 33, and will be 34 next year at the time of entry, and am concerned about being too old (?)

Here are the questions I'm hoping to get some insight on:
1) Should I ask for a deferral from LBS? Or just go this year?
2) If I ask for a deferral from LBS and am denied, should I go this year? Or take a chance at reapplying next year/ask for a deferral from Cambridge?

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your help.
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.11
Re: LBS vs. Cambridge vs. defer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 13:49
Given those are the options ... in my opinion:

1) Ask for a deferral from LBS. Be prepared for them to not grant it and hold you to the original timeline for this fall.

2) Ask Cambridge if you asked for it, would they grant a deferral. If they grant it, your worst case is attending Cambridge next year.

3) If LBS doesn't grant it and Cambridge does, you've rightly identified the issue - take the LBS offer for this fall, or take the deferral for Cambridge for next year (reapplying and hoping with LBS next year).

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 19:56
Hi. Congrats on your admits!
Cambridge has had some conflicting announcements about their plans. They have originally announced that they are going full virtual next year, then immediately retracted that: https://gmatclub.com/forum/covid-19-out ... 24-80.html I am not sure it is a winner in either case, esp if you do a 12-month MBA....

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 02:37
Thanks for the helpful responses! I think what I'm really struggling with is to defer or not. The more I think about it, I really do prefer LBS so I want to try and make that work. And as I said previously, I do believe now is the best time to pursue an MBA for me, but the pandemic throws the timing off. Should I just bite the bullet and go this year? I believe I have a compelling case for a deferral though, so may be granted one if I request it.

I do recognize the conflicting messaging from schools as discussed above. It's definitely a difficult position for them, and they certainly cannot guarantee an in person experience right now. With that said, there is also no guarantee things could be "back to normal" by January or even Fall 2021.

Thanks again, appreciate all the advice received thus far!
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.11

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 04:03
I cannot imagine a scenario where you ask for a deferral, they say no ... and ... they recend your offer of admission.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V45

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 20:18
there's no point in asking this question until you find out whether or not you can defer

ask both schools for a deferral, then come back to the forum for an opinion. until then not all the options are on the table and we can't answer properly
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 20:28
One more thought - most schools seem to provide fairly tight parameters for deferrals. Even the most generous program, HBS, which is offering a blank deferral to anyone has only made it possible within a two-week period. Other programs are offering deferrals in case there a visa issues or other circumstances that prevent one from starting the MBA program. It does not appear to be a free choice option anyone can grab. You should definitely ask but there’s a good chance you won’t get a yes answer.

Good luck!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2020, 14:58
As I had said in my earlier post, I have a compelling reason to request a deferral, so will go ahead and request. Thanks everyone for your suggestions to request at this stage.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2020, 20:38
arrow541 wrote:
As I had said in my earlier post, I have a compelling reason to request a deferral, so will go ahead and request. Thanks everyone for your suggestions to request at this stage.

Good (I guess) though sorry to hear about your situation. At the same time, a deferral offers a good option and LBS would be a better choice in my book.
arrow541 wrote:

Good (I guess) though sorry to hear about your situation. At the same time, a deferral offers a good option and LBS would be a better choice for anyone changing industries. With your age, you can definitely go for Cambridge Judge one year program as long as you are sticking with your industry.
-BB

GMAT Club Bot
LBS vs. Cambridge vs. defer   [#permalink] 29 May 2020, 20:38

LBS vs. Cambridge vs. defer

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate