GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M01-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
M01-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:52) correct 56% (00:47) wrong based on 157 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re M01-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:16
Official Solution:

Question: is \(ab=1\)?

(1) \(a^2b=a\)

\(a^2b-a=0\);

\(a(ab-1)=0\): either \(a=0\) (and \(b=\text{any value}\), including zero) so in this case \(ab=0\neq 1\) OR \(ab=1\). Two different answers, not sufficient.

(2) \(ab^2=b\)

\(ab^2-b=0\);

\(b(ab-1)=0\): either \(b=0\) (and \(a=\text{any value}\), including zero) so in this case \(ab=0 \neq 1\) OR \(ab=1\). Two different answers, not sufficient.

(1)+(2) either \(a=b=0\), so in this case \(ab=0 \neq 1\) and the answer to the question is NO, OR \(ab=1\) and the answer to the question is YES. Two different answers, not sufficient.

Answer: E

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: M01-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2014, 20:46
why can't we conclude that:
a^2*b=a=>b=1/a
in this case a*1/a = 1
and statement 1 and 2 are both sufficient
hm..
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2014, 04:56
mvictor wrote:
why can't we conclude that:
a^2*b=a=>b=1/a
in this case a*1/a = 1
and statement 1 and 2 are both sufficient
hm..

Please re-read the solution above. Does not a = 0 satisfy the equation? You cannot write b=1/a from a^2*b=a because a could be 0, and we cannot reduce or divide by 0.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.47
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 07:45
Hi Bunuel,

I have a question based on the solution that you have mentioned below:

Let's say a question in DS is as follows?

If x is a positive integer, is x=4?

Stmt -1) X is a root of the quadratic equation - x^2 - 12x+12=0

Stmt -2) X is a root of the quadratic equation - x^2 - 9x+20=0

Now solving each statement alone,

Stmt 1 -> Allows x value to be either x= 3,4
Stmt 2 -> Allows x value to be either x= 4,5

Now for such a Data sufficiency question, don't we find that x=4 is a common solution in both statements together and hence mark the answer as Answer choice (C) - Both statements together are sufficient but neither alone.

Now based on this understanding, for the current question,

Both statement (1) and statement (2) when taken together show that ab = 1.
Can we not select option choice (c), based on this?

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong some where?

Vijay

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(a^2b=a\)

\(a^2b-a=0\);

\(a(ab-1)=0\): either \(a=0\) (and \(b=\text{any value}\), including zero) so in this case \(ab=0\neq 1\) OR \(ab=1\). Two different answers, not sufficient.

(2) \(ab^2=b\)

\(ab^2-b=0\);

\(b(ab-1)=0\): either \(b=0\) (and \(a=\text{any value}\), including zero) so in this case \(ab=0 \neq 1\) OR \(ab=1\). Two different answers, not sufficient.

(1)+(2) either \(a=b=0\), so in this case \(ab=0 \neq 1\) and the answer to the question is NO, OR \(ab=1\) and the answer to the question is YES. Two different answers, not sufficient.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 07:55
svijayaug12 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Now for such a Data sufficiency question, don't we find that x=4 is a common solution in both statements together and hence mark the answer as Answer choice (C) - Both statements together are sufficient but neither alone.

Vijay

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(a^2b=a\)

\(a^2b-a=0\);

(2) \(ab^2=b\)

\(ab^2-b=0\);

When we consider two statements together we should take the values which satisfy both statements. For this question \(ab=1\) satisfies both statement, but \(a=b=0\) also satisfies both statements. So what you call "common solution" for this question is: \(ab=1\) OR \(ab=0\neq{1}\).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Sloan '19 (D)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 21:45
Sorry Bunuel, but if b=0, it will not satisfy the statement 1, will it?

Bunuel wrote:
svijayaug12 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Vijay

Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(a^2b=a\)

\(a^2b-a=0\);

(2) \(ab^2=b\)

\(ab^2-b=0\);

When we consider two statements together we should take the values which satisfy both statements. For this question \(ab=1\) satisfies both statement, but \(a=b=0\) also satisfies both statements. So what you call "common solution" for this question is: \(ab=1\) OR \(ab=0\neq{1}\).
Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 19:42
I am confused,

Why cant we say
a*b*a = a
a*b = a/a
a*b = 1

What am i missing Bunuel

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 20:40
mbsingh wrote:
I am confused,

Why cant we say
a*b*a = a
a*b = a/a
a*b = 1

What am i missing Bunuel

You cannot reduce a*b*a = a by a, because a can be 0, and we cannot divide by 0. By doing so you are loosing a root, namely a = 0.

Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We cannot divide by zero.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 20:42
Bunuel wrote:
mbsingh wrote:
I am confused,

Why cant we say
a*b*a = a
a*b = a/a
a*b = 1

What am i missing Bunuel

You cannot reduce a*b*a = a by a, because a can be 0, and we cannot divide by 0. By doing so you are loosing a root, namely a = 0.

Never reduce equation by variable (or expression with variable), if you are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero. We cannot divide by zero.

Interesting , didnt think of that. Thanks Bunuel

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 10:18
We have seen numerous DS questions where statement (1) gives two values of x and statement (2) gives another two values but when only one of the values is common in the solutions from both the statements then we conclude with option "C" that is "both statements taken together are sufficient to answer the question, but neither statement alone is sufficient" because we get one definite value (which is common) of x from both the statements.

Say for example if we have a question like:-
What is the value of x?
1) x^2 = x (we find that x could be 0 or 1 therefore not sufficient)
2) (x-1)(x-2) = 0 ( we find that x could be 1 or 2)

Now answer me what would be the answer of this question, will it be "option C" that x = 1, i.e. common solution; or
"Option E" that x could either be 0 or 2 and x could be 1. Clearly when x will be 0 or 2 then it cannot be 1 and vice versa because x can assume only one value at a given point of time.

Applying the same logic for this question I am unable to understand the logic why "E" is the right answer? ab = 1 is common to both the statements.

Peripheral issue is: - by definition if a & b can assume only one value, i.e. that is "zero" then no matter what you do, you cannot have a solution of ab = 1 which is a contradiction in the question & statements itself?

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Re: M01-36   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2018, 10:18

M01-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap