It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M06-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
M06-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:05) correct 42% (01:03) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The first flight out of Phoenix airport had a late departure. If the next three flights departed on-time, how many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re M06-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:26
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

The first flight out of Phoenix airport had a late departure. If the next three flights departed on-time, how many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

We need on-time departure rate to be higher than \(\frac{9}{10}\), so it should be at least \(\frac{10}{11}\), which means that 10 out of 11 flights must depart on time. Since for now 3 out of 4 flights departed on time then \(10-3=7\) subsequent flights need to depart on-time.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Re M06-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2015, 13:36
I think this question is poor and not helpful.
it is not clear "subsequent" to which number: the 1 flight late, or the 3 flight on time.
can be formulated "how many more subsequent flights..."
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M06-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2015, 06:34
Let x be subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time.
To the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%: 3+x/4+x >0.9 => 0.1x>0.6 => x>6, x=7.
Is it right.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re M06-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 02:18
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 02:42
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 10:24
This is a very straightforward question. For the % to be > 90, we need atleast 10 flights on time (as 1 was delayed). 3 of those 10 were on-time, hence 7 more are required.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re M06-03 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 05:06
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. somehow agree . I think "minimum" should be added be fore on-time because otherwise 9,10,11 subsequent flights also make a on-time departure rate higher then 90%
Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 05:19
deospaima wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I agree with explanation. somehow agree . I think "minimum" should be added be fore on-time because otherwise 9,10,11 subsequent flights also make a on-time departure rate higher then 90%

Hi,
1) firstly I really don't understand why it is a Poor Q. It is a very normal Q.
2) Yes, minimum would have made things more clearer. BUT when we sayhow many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?, I think it conveys the same meaning..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 08:32
when you send feedback from CATs in Gmat Club if you tick "poor questions" it automatically ads this to the thread..so actually I don't find it a poor questions , I just think it should be more clear. honestly I don't agree with this :

BUT when we sayhow many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?, I think it conveys the same meaning..

in GMAT questions I think you shouldn't have 2 answers that verify the conditions..and here we have multiple ones..just my opinion :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 08:53
Bunuel wrote:
prodigypringle wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.

Please elaborate WHY do you think that the question is of poor-quality. Thank you.

Bunuel, I believe this is a good question however it seems to me that "subsequent" is used in a vague manner. Subsequent from the first flight (10-4=6 additional on-time flights needed to bring % to 90) or subsequent from the FIRST on-time flight (10-3=7 additional flights needed to bring percentage to 90)?

I chose 6 as my answer because I was counting all subsequent flights from the first late departure.

Aside from this I do think it is a good question
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 13:10
I think this question tests your verbal skills also , and i got it wrong too .

But for those who believe that the language is inappropriate , its not.

If the next three flights departed on-time, how many subsequent flights need to depart from Phoenix on-time, for the airport's on-time departure rate to be higher than 90%?
The underlined portion is clearly making a play on the "next three flights" , and the significance of the word "need" is to mean that we "need" to find the minimum number of more subsequent flights.
I hope everyone got my point. ;)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

Here's my take on this:

Current stat:
1 on time
3 late

current % of on time departure: 3/4 = 75%

We need >90%, hence let's keep adding more flights that departed on time.

(3+1)/(4+1) = 4/5 = 80% not over to 90%
(3+2)/(4+2) = 5/6 not over to 90%
(3+3)/(4+3) = 6/7 not over to 90%
(3+4)/(4+4) = 7/8 not over to 90%
(3+5)/(4+5) = 8/9 not over to 90%
(3+6)/(4+6) = 9/10 = 90% not over to 90%
(3+7)/(4+7) = 10/11 just over to 90%

Hence 7 is the answer.
Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 01:24
Bunuel and abhimahna

What I understood from this question was:
Total= 4 flights (till now)
On time= 3

Therefore 3/4*100= 75% on time

For this percentage to be >90%:

If 6 more flights take off on time, then there will be total 6+3 flights that took off on time.

Total= 6+3+1= 10
On time= 9
Percentage= 9/10*100 = 90%

What did I miss? Is it the "subsequent" information that I misinterpreted?

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 01:26
I think I somewhat get it:

We need more than 90% and option A gives exactly 90%.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 21:17
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

We need on-time departure rate to be higher than \(\frac{9}{10}\), so it should be at least \(\frac{10}{11}\), which means that 10 out of 11 flights must depart on time. Since for now 3 out of 4 flights departed on time then \(10-3=7\) subsequent flights need to depart on-time.

Bunuel, could you explain how did you come to 10/11. I am not able to get above highlighted red part.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 22:27
ammuseeru wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

A. 6
B. 7
C. 9
D. 10
E. 11

Bunuel, could you explain how did you come to 10/11. I am not able to get above highlighted red part.

We need (on-time departures)/(total departures) to be greater than 9/10. Next, fraction, which is greater than 9/10 (having both numerator and denominator integers) is 10/11:

9/10 < 10/11 < 11/12 < ...
9/10 < 10/11 < 91/100 < ...

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M06-03   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2018, 22:27

M06-03

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap