GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Apr 2019, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M08-24

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54696
M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (00:40) correct 42% (00:48) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54696
Re M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:37
2
Official Solution:

If \(x\) is an odd integer, which of the following numbers must be even?

A. \(x^{\frac{3}{3}}\)
B. \(\frac{x^2 - 1}{2}\)
C. \(xp + 1\) where \(p\) is a prime number
D. \(\frac{(x + 7)(x - 2)}{2}\)
E. \(x^{x - 1}\)

\(\frac{(x^2 - 1)}{2}\) can be written as \((x - 1)*\frac{(x + 1)}{2}\) = even*even/2 = even*integer = even. To see that other choices are not necessarily even consider \(x = 3\) (in \(C\) consider \(p = 2\)).

Answer: B
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Posts: 64
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 04:36
but what if i choose x=1 then answer choice B would be 0, which is not even
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7609
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 04:47
1
nausherwan wrote:
but what if i choose x=1 then answer choice B would be 0, which is not even


Hi,
0 is an even number...
what 0 is not is- it is neither positive nor negative..

_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 12:43
I understand the solution,, but what is wrong with this understanding

(x+7)(x−2)/2 => x+7 = odd+odd = even
x-2 => odd -even = odd
(x+7)(x−2) => even*odd = even
even/2 (even) => even
what is wrong with above ?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54696
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 12:46
1
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 May 2015
Posts: 175
Location: India
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 23:54
Bunuel wrote:
mmrigank wrote:
I understand the solution,, but what is wrong with this understanding

(x+7)(x−2)/2 => x+7 = odd+odd = even
x-2 => odd -even = odd
(x+7)(x−2) => even*odd = even
even/2 (even) => even
what is wrong with above ?


even/2 is not always even. For example, 2/2 = 1 = odd.


Bunuel,
Not matter what is the value of highlighted part, since x+7 is even , then solution will always be even.
Also, what odd value of x will give (x-2) as 2 . It is given that x is odd integer.
Please explain?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54696
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 05:37
nipunjain14 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mmrigank wrote:
I understand the solution,, but what is wrong with this understanding

(x+7)(x−2)/2 => x+7 = odd+odd = even
x-2 => odd -even = odd
(x+7)(x−2) => even*odd = even
even/2 (even) => even
what is wrong with above ?


even/2 is not always even. For example, 2/2 = 1 = odd.


Bunuel,
Not matter what is the value of highlighted part, since x+7 is even , then solution will always be even.
Also, what odd value of x will give (x-2) as 2 . It is given that x is odd integer.
Please explain?


It's not clear what are you trying to say...

(x+7)(x−2)/2 = even*odd/2 = even/2, which may or may not be even. Consider x = 3 and x = 5.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 12
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 17:52
Hi Bunuel, why would we use different values for x? If we consider that x is an odd integer (either 3,5,1 etc) option three would always be true. I think that's the point mmrigank was trying to make.

If the question only mentions that x is an odd integer (and there're no quadratics involved), shouldn't we assume that x has only one value?
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 27 Nov 2016
Posts: 53
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 07:58
what is wrong with my understanding ??

Since X is odd , X ^ 2 will always be odd.

Now , (Odd - 1 ) = Even ....

Even / 2 = Could be ODD or EVEN ( Eg : 12/2 or 14/2)

So the expression cannot be even always....so must be even fails???
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54696
Re: M08-24  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 11:36
vishalkumar4mba wrote:
what is wrong with my understanding ??

Since X is odd , X ^ 2 will always be odd.

Now , (Odd - 1 ) = Even ....

Even / 2 = Could be ODD or EVEN ( Eg : 12/2 or 14/2)

So the expression cannot be even always....so must be even fails???


odd^2 - 1 is always even, yes but it's not simply even but a multiple of 4.

1^1 - 1 = 0 = a multiple of 4;
3^1 - 1 = 8 = a multiple of 4;
5^1 - 1 = 24 = a multiple of 4;
7^1 - 1 = 48 = a multiple of 4;
...

So, (odd^2 - 1)/2 = (a multiple of 4)/2 = even.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M08-24   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2017, 11:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M08-24

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.