GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 23:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Major Weakness in GMAT CR - Any Advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Major Weakness in GMAT CR - Any Advice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 06:31
Hello everyone,

I'm having big trouble with GMAT CR. I'm facing a lot of difficulties when solving such questions and I'm not confident at all when it comes to this part of the verbal section. I tried Manhattan GMAT and Powerscore CR Bible but they're just not for me. I know how to identify the question types and how to approach them, 'somehow'. However, I'm not confident when it comes to choosing the right answer. I'm also spending a lot of time reading and analyzing each question.

I haven't officially taken the GMAT yet but I've done some practice tests. My quantitative score is pretty solid - it varies between 49-50. My verbal on the other hand varies between 33-35 and I believe CR is the main reason why I'm not able to hit my target score which is a 720+. Note that I'm much more confident when it comes to RC and especially SC.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Any advice on how to tackle CR? I'm planning to sit for the GMAT in 3 weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Major Weakness in GMAT CR - Any Advice?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 07:28
NGMATK wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm having big trouble with GMAT CR. I'm facing a lot of difficulties when solving such questions and I'm not confident at all when it comes to this part of the verbal section. I tried Manhattan GMAT and Powerscore CR Bible but they're just not for me. I know how to identify the question types and how to approach them, 'somehow'. However, I'm not confident when it comes to choosing the right answer. I'm also spending a lot of time reading and analyzing each question.

I haven't officially taken the GMAT yet but I've done some practice tests. My quantitative score is pretty solid - it varies between 49-50. My verbal on the other hand varies between 33-35 and I believe CR is the main reason why I'm not able to hit my target score which is a 720+. Note that I'm much more confident when it comes to RC and especially SC.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Any advice on how to tackle CR? I'm planning to sit for the GMAT in 3 weeks.

Thanks

NGMATK - It is funny, I wrote a fairly lengthy post on CR questions not too long ago, which I would encourage you to check out:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/weaken-and-strenghten-questions-304824.html#p2353966

As far as CR questions being the hardest to wrap your head around, I get it. I think most people studying for the GMAT™ probably feel the same way. (I know I did when I was introduced to the test.) Unless you also prepared for the LSAT and studied Logical Reasoning questions, as they are called there, then it does take some time to appreciate the chain of logic that separates correct answers from incorrect answers. You say you have tried MGMAT and even the CR Bible, but what about them rubbed you the wrong way? That is, have you actually employed the techniques that are taught and found them to be unhelpful, or have you resisted employing such methods and gotten mixed results? I ask because in my experience as a tutor--I stopped counting up the hours after a certain point--frustrated students tend not to progress because they want to cling to their own ways of doing things. The guides you have bought may not, in fact, be for you, but that does not mean that you cannot incorporate their teachings into something that does work for you. If you stick to a system, then you will be more likely to succeed. Three weeks is enough time to implement such a system and practice with it, fine-tune it, and make it your own.

Again, I would refer you to my earlier post, since that has more CR-specific advice. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 11:04
NGMATK wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks

The best materials for CR is "thursdays with Ron's" videos.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +reasoning

SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2019, 21:39
Hi,

For CR do read the powerscore bible. IT is a good book and provides a detail view of different question types. After reading that book try solving specific questions of weaken, strengthen, evaluate the argument and so on.

This will help you further dissect your problem area and you can read further to cover that.

Hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2019, 13:03
Thank you to everyone who responded to this post. I went through the MGMAT for CR and started using the strategies listed there and I felt everything was proceeding as planned, especially that I've been practicing SC and RC and felt confident with those questions.

I bought the Official GMAT Exams (5 & 6) and took them recently. Surprisingly, I scored 27 and 28 respectively on the Verbal Section compared to the 33-35 that I used to previously score! It was like a punch in the face. Has this happened with anyone else before?

I've put in a lot of hours since I first started studying for the GMAT. I now feel that I really need help with the Verbal Section and I need to tackle it ASAP. Any other suggestions?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Major Weakness in GMAT CR - Any Advice?   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2019, 13:03

Major Weakness in GMAT CR - Any Advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics