GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 09:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:45) correct 49% (01:45) wrong based on 467 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased 25 percent. This increase started around the time we started offering unlimited free shipping, rather than just free shipping on orders over $50. Thus, our change in policy probably caused the increase.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the manager's argument?

(A) Mail-order sales have been decreasing for companies that do not offer unlimited free shipping.
(B) The company did not widely advertise its change in policy.
(C) The company's profits from mail-order sales have increased since the change in policy.
(D) The company's change in policy occurred well after its competitors started offering unlimited free shipping.
(E) Most companies offer free shipping only on mail-order purchases over $50.

LSAT

V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 23:57
Akela wrote:
Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased 25 percent. This increase started around the time we started offering unlimited free shipping, rather than just free shipping on orders over $50. Thus, our change in policy probably caused the increase.

Which one of the following, if true, most strengthens the manager's argument?

Two things could be compared if those two thing are in common. The company's claim could be true if there is any evidence shows that the new policy has a good effect on company's mail-order sales, or shows that other companies that implement this new policy also enjoy increase in mail-order sales.

Only A conveys this comparision so A is the correct answer. Other choices are irrelevant to the argument.
P
GPA: 3.95
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 07:15
Argument says: Policy changes caused increase in sales (X caused Y).

Any answer saying Z caused Y or Y did not happen implies X did not happen can be correct.

Option A talks in similar lines to the latter logic above.
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 09:02
I also picked A but I must admit that C was pretty tempting. Can you please explain why the option cant be C?
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 11:02
elifceylan wrote:
I also picked A but I must admit that C was pretty tempting. Can you please explain why the option cant be C?

For Strengthener type questions there must be addition of new information to the existing stimulus, check carefully , option (C) is a mere restatement of the following from the passage " This increase started around the time we started offering unlimited free shipping "

Hence, (C) may be discarded.

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 04:25
In option A how can I say that the reason for decrease in mail order of other companies is definitely because they did not offer unlimited free shipping. It can also be because of other factors. Bad quality of products, damage during shipping etc.

Please help me understand this.
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2019, 05:55
According to LSAT if you are able to eliminate alternate explanation then that statement is a strenthener.

What is wrong with B.

It says adveritsement was not responsible. It ineffect eliminatrd alternate explaunation.

Experts please suggest.

Posted from my mobile device
Veritas Prep Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2019, 15:27
Top Contributor
ntoma2 wrote:
In option A how can I say that the reason for decrease in mail order of other companies is definitely because they did not offer unlimited free shipping. It can also be because of other factors. Bad quality of products, damage during shipping etc.

Please help me understand this.

Good question, with a couple really important takeaways if you don't mind me breaking down your post.

1) "how can I say that the reason for decrease in mail order of other companies..."

Note that his isn't your job at all! Your job in Strengthen questions is to strengthen the exact conclusion being given, which here is "our change in policy probably caused the increase" - the problem is about this one company, not all the others.

2) "...is definitely because"

Also important - in Strengthen questions your job isn't to prove something ("definitely") but instead to find a reason that makes it more likely.

What (A) does here is take away the possibility that this particular company's online sales are up primarily because everyone's sales are up - that it isn't a consequence of anything the company itself did, just a consequence of the industry overall doing really well. But if (A) is true, then there's something that this particular company is doing that the others aren't, and one thing we do know that's a difference is that this company has free shipping and the others don't. This doesn't prove at all that the policy is the reason for the increase, but by taking away the "no, everyone's doing well" possibility it does make the conclusion more likely to be true.

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Consulting (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 23:43
Option E also correctly takes into consideration that since other companes are not offering free shipping on below $50, then this company is at the advantage.?
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 01:11
Yogesh_24 wrote:
Option E also correctly takes into consideration that since other companies are not offering free shipping on below $50, then this company is at the advantage.?

IMO: E is out of scope

there is no relation b/w sales and shipping.
Sales may have increased or decreased after charging $50 for Many Companies..we are not sure about it.

A shows the co-relation b/w sales and shipping ...much clear; Hence Correct

Thanks = KUDOS
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 11:31
IMO this should be a 600-700 level question. Passage and alternatives are pretty straight forward. Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2019, 11:31

Manager: Our company's mail-order sales have recently increased

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics