Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [106]
Given Kudos: 39
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [15]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20706 [5]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think in your proposed structure 'Less physically intense and lower-paying jobs' the contrast is omitted, something that will affect the meaning of the sentence.

Moreover if you are adding that before higher paying jobs then you should also add the same before lower paying jobs so that both phrases will be parallel.
between jobs that offer substantially higher pay and that less physically intense, but lower-paying

As for your query, whether the construction 'that X but that Y' would be correct or not, I think it will depend on the sentence structure.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]
Kudos
Experts please help me understand how option E) is correct

'But' is a co-ordinating conjunction which requires either an Independent clause following it or a verb in parallel. Here in E) the expression that follows "but" is a modifier and I believe it is incorrect. My another question is did we ever see an official question(GMATPrep/OG) in which we have such a "but +< MODIFIER>" construction.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
kinghyts wrote:
Experts please help me understand how option E) is correct

'But' is a co-ordinating conjunction which requires either an Independent clause following it or a verb in parallel. Here in E) the expression that follows "but" is a modifier and I believe it is incorrect. My another question is did we ever see an official question(GMATPrep/OG) in which we have such a "but +< MODIFIER>" construction.

but can link two IC, and is one of the FANBOYS.

However this does not mean that this is its only possible usage.
"You can't do anything but wait " is a legit sentence, and "but" does not connect two IC.

Consider this Official question:
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar. Svria. have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

(E)cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

simultaneously with but independently they both modify "arose ".

Does this make sense?
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(D) that pay substantially higher but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas, and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense
Error : That ... but -ing such parallelism is not allowed.
(E) offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs
-ing... but -ing parallelism maintained. second half of the sentence is inverted noun is placed after adjectives.

E is the best among all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Clear E, in 25 seconds.

First, we split answer choices based on idiom "between x AND y" - A,B, and C are out since they use OR when introducing alternative jobs ("or less physically intense....")
Second, in D "..requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas..." looks like these jobs require all conditions to be met, this changes intended meaning. Clearly should be ".. requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, OR relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas..'

Only E has it all
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
At first, this is a test of idiom --- ‘between …. and’ --- hence we should reject A, B and C forthwith and focus only on D and E.

A fan boy such as ‘but’ can co-ordinate

1. Two ICs,
2. Two parallel verbs
3. Two parallel nouns or noun phrases
4. Two parallel adjectives or adjectival phrases
5. Two parallel adverbs or adverbial phrases.

In E, we may observe, ‘less physically intense’ is an adjectival phrase linked to ‘another adjectival namely, ‘lower paying’. So both are parallel linked by 'but'

In D, the placement of ‘in large metropolitan areas’ is dubious. This phrase should be placed just after the ‘jobs’, so that we know for certain that theses jobs are available in metros rather than in other areas. Otherwise, it will be misconstrued that these jobs are less physically intense only in metros.

Probably because it is from the MGMAT stable, I am led to believe that there is more than what meets the eye and MGMAT may be testing some more subtle issue. What MGMAT is really up to, may be the forum can expose
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
I eliminated E because of comma before jobs in the latter part. What is the significance of this comma, does removing the comma still make it the correct choice?

Basis of elimination is the core.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
akshaykotha wrote:
I eliminated E because of comma before jobs in the latter part. What is the significance of this comma, does removing the comma still make it the correct choice?

Basis of elimination is the core.

Ditto. I also eliminated E because of the comma before jobs.
Could someone please explain?

bb
daagh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The comma before jobs is a typo. One should ignore it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
12bhang wrote:
Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs in larger metropolitan areas.

(A) that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs

(B) that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

(C) offering pay that is substantially higher, but that requires long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocating to remote, sparsely populated areas, or lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(D) that pay substantially higher but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas, and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(E) offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying jobs

If choice B were reworded as that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, and ess physically intense and lower-paying jobs.

The idiom issue is taken care of.
But do we need this construction that X but that Y.
Or the construction that X but Y is enough?

Please explain.

Thanks..

"Between" / "and" construction is missing in A,B and C. Hence eliminated.

Between D&E, remote and sparse do have have the same meaning therefore "or" is eliminated. Leaves us with choice E which should be the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Send PM
Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]
A X "offering" and "require" aren't parallel. "THOUGH" means happening at the same time and is wrong, should say "BUT lower paying" to highlight contradiction
B X should say "BUT lower paying" not "AND lower paying" as we want to point out a contradiction. "I got into a car accident BUT managed to make it to work on time" has different meaning than "I got into a car accident AND managed to make i to work on time (illogical)"
C X job is plural so "requires" is wrong. "I have three clients to visit who NEED me to call them" not "I have three clients to visit who NEEDS me to call them.
D X bad list "and lower paying" is part of list rather than a second option. "pay...but requiring" these verbs go to same subject but are not parallel
E CORRECT verbs sound strange to me but OK
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
(A) that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs

(B) that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

(C) offering pay that is substantially higher, but that requires long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocating to remote, sparsely populated areas, or lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(E) offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying jobs

Why say jobs that offer ? would be much more concise to say "jobs offering" and GMAT like concision. ABD out

Then it's between C and E, the problem with C is "that requires" seems to refers back to pay, but it is none sense.

E is perfectly clear as it dont has this problem that C has, plus it is the only option left so ^^
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts