It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 117 [3], given: 39

Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:18) correct 55% (01:23) wrong based on 1186 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs in larger metropolitan areas.

(A) that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs

(B) that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

(C) offering pay that is substantially higher, but that requires long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocating to remote, sparsely populated areas, or lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(D) that pay substantially higher but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas, and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(E) offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

[Reveal] Spoiler:
If choice B were reworded as that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, and ess physically intense and lower-paying jobs.

The idiom issue is taken care of.
But do we need this construction that X but that Y.
Or the construction that X but Y is enough?

Please explain.

Thanks..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 16 Sep 2017, 18:59, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Renamed - Please use the first sentence of the question to name the topic

Kudos [?]: 117 [3], given: 39

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3710 [0], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 11:34
I think in your proposed structure 'Less physically intense and lower-paying jobs' the contrast is omitted, something that will affect the meaning of the sentence.

Moreover if you are adding that before higher paying jobs then you should also add the same before lower paying jobs so that both phrases will be parallel.
between jobs that offer substantially higher pay and that less physically intense, but lower-paying

As for your query, whether the construction 'that X but that Y' would be correct or not, I think it will depend on the sentence structure.

Hope that helps.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3710 [0], given: 2420

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2327 [3], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
The idiom tested here is "between X and Y".

With this simple rule we can eliminate A B and C.

D) that pay substantially higher but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas, and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense
e) offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

12bhang wrote:
Or the construction that X but Y is enough?

I think that this is enough, and in D the X and Y parts are not parallel (pay-requiring). Moreover D does not make sense with the not underlined portion:
D)and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense in larger metropolitan areas
it seems to say that the jobs are less intense in metropolitan areas (when done there, if it's clear what I mean).

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2327 [3], given: 219

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 49

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2013, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
Experts please help me understand how option E) is correct

'But' is a co-ordinating conjunction which requires either an Independent clause following it or a verb in parallel. Here in E) the expression that follows "but" is a modifier and I believe it is incorrect. My another question is did we ever see an official question(GMATPrep/OG) in which we have such a "but +< MODIFIER>" construction.

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 49

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2327 [1], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2013, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
kinghyts wrote:

'But' is a co-ordinating conjunction which requires either an Independent clause following it or a verb in parallel. Here in E) the expression that follows "but" is a modifier and I believe it is incorrect. My another question is did we ever see an official question(GMATPrep/OG) in which we have such a "but +< MODIFIER>" construction.

but can link two IC, and is one of the FANBOYS.

However this does not mean that this is its only possible usage.
"You can't do anything but wait " is a legit sentence, and "but" does not connect two IC.

Consider this Official question:
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar. Svria. have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

(E)cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

simultaneously with but independently they both modify "arose ".

Does this make sense?

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2327 [1], given: 219

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 11:03
Can someone explain what's wrong with B)?

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 13:10
AccipiterQ wrote:

You need AND !

that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

Here you have OR and not AND

The idiom is "between X and E"

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 09:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs in larger metropolitan areas.

(A) that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs

(B) that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

(C) offering pay that is substantially higher, but that requires long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocating to remote, sparsely populated areas, or lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(D) that pay substantially higher but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas, and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

(E) offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

Source : Mgmat

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 09:59
In above question , i narrowed down to D & E , now get confused, then i selected D over E, reason for my selection is comparison which was done between high paying jobs that have some cons. with it & low paying jobs..

But OA says E is correct , will some one explain .

Thanks
LS

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 10:45
the answer has to be E
as E is more parallel than D
E says :Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours,
also when u go further in E you will notice that its using more parallel construction than D

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1845 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 12:51
Error : That ... but -ing such parallelism is not allowed.
-ing... but -ing parallelism maintained. second half of the sentence is inverted noun is placed after adjectives.

E is the best among all.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1845 [0], given: 229

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [2], given: 4

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Babson '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
Clear E, in 25 seconds.

First, we split answer choices based on idiom "between x AND y" - A,B, and C are out since they use OR when introducing alternative jobs ("or less physically intense....")
Second, in D "..requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas..." looks like these jobs require all conditions to be met, this changes intended meaning. Clearly should be ".. requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, OR relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas..'

Only E has it all

Kudos [?]: 18 [2], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 26

Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 01:08
Eliminated a,b and c based on the idiom

Was torn between d & e, picked e which is wrong but above pointer given by Ershovici seems useful

Missed it somehow

Thanks Ershovici, good point that.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 04:38
IMO E.

Below are the steps i followed to come to the answer-

As soon as i saw between in the sentence, i recalled the idiom Between X and Y.
Then i noticed the comparison is between jobs(not-underlined part), so X and Y in idiom should be parallel and have something to do about jobs.
the underlined part starts about high paying jobs along with the problems associated to them.
As soon as i confront first 'or' i verify that the left part of 'or' is stating about the problems associated with the high paying jobs.
Problems with high paying jobs are parallel to one another, so no error here.
After verifying the left part of second 'or' i found out that the idiom Between X and Y, 'and' is required here as the left part of 'or' is stating about the jobs.

Upon following above steps, i eliminated first 3 options.
Now, between 'D' and 'E'.
In D that...but -ing is not parallel whereas in option E -ing..but -ing is parallel.
Thus, E is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 18:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Open Discussion is here : many-employees-in-the-energy-sector-must-choose-between-jobs-157010.html#p1251562

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 19:08
E seems best:offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 847 [0], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 21:09
GonnaAceTheGmat wrote:

Hello GonnaAceTheGmat,

Welcome to Gmatclub!!

Since this is your first post, I do like to provide you with some links to help you navigate on forum.

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
new-to-the-gmat-club-start-here-130870.html
new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html

Also, before posting your question on the forum, use Search option to check if it has been discussed before. Once you put in initial words of the question, you can get earlier discussions and then you can post your doubt on that thread itself.

Recent Discussions for this question is here :
many-employees-in-the-energy-sector-must-choose-between-jobs-157010.html#p1251562

Discussion with expert reply:
many-employees-in-the-energy-sector-must-choose-between-jobs-170436.html

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 847 [0], given: 724

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 22:16
Zarrolou wrote:
kinghyts wrote:

but can link two IC, and is one of the FANBOYS.

However this does not mean that this is its only possible usage.
"You can't do anything but wait " is a legit sentence, and "but" does not connect two IC.

Consider this Official question:
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar. Svria. have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

(E)cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

simultaneously with but independently they both modify "arose ".

Does this make sense?

but what the heck is this syntax :
(e) ............intense, but lower-paying, jobs. Cant we simply use " but lower paying jobs " How can "but lower-paying" acts as an additional information modifier....?
I rejected the sentence bcoz of it...didnt even read it.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 09:46
Paris75 wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

You need AND !

that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

Hi,

IMO D should be correct.. the comparison is between "higher paying jobs" and "lower paying jobs"

Having said that only B and D have "and" in the right place.

In option B they use "physically taxing labour or less physically intense" for the same job which is not possible.

Hence D

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

SDA Bocconi Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2015, 23:14
dominicraj wrote:
Paris75 wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

You need AND !

Hi,

IMO D should be correct.. the comparison is between "higher paying jobs" and "lower paying jobs"

Having said that only B and D have "and" in the right place.

In option B they use "physically taxing labour or less physically intense" for the same job which is not possible.

Hence D

Regards,
Dom.

B does not have and in the right place. It uses "or" instead of "and".
The choice is between D and E. I opted for E because when I read D in this way "..... are less physically intense in larger metropolitan areas", this conveyed a different meaning that jobs are less intense in larger metropolitan areas and can be more physically intense in smaller metropolitan areas.
The point is that "...in larger metropolitan areas." should be connected to jobs.

The choice is between "JOBS offering.... and lower-paying JOBS" so it is correct. Although I do not like "lower-paying, jobs". But on GMAT day I would select E.

DJ

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Re: Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2015, 23:14

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap