It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 12:41
But and without but makes totally different meaning.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1154 [0], given: 39

Re: Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 13:04
ajit257 wrote:
Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years,
excepting for the domains of administration and
teaching, the English language was never really
spoken on the island.

(A) excepting for
(B) except in
(C) but except in
(D) but excepting for
(E) with the exception of

can someone explain the usage of but.

As per Manhattan is a alter intent type question. Mauritius was british colony for 200 year, where English was not spoken though it was practiced in administration and teaching. Thus express the meaning of the sentence correctly but is required.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Kudos [?]: 1154 [0], given: 39

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2011, 08:49
These two independent clauses are incompatible. So, use "but" is more concise. The domains should be use with "in" to express the correct meaning. Use "for" is imprecise.

+1 C

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 11

WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2011, 10:37
conjunction is required. C sounds better.

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 11

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [2], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2014, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
snowbirdskier wrote:
Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the domains of administration and teaching, the English language was never really spoken on the island. (GMAT practice test from mba.com)

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for
E - with the exception of

Understanding intent of meaning helps solve this question. They are trying to say that English was only spoken in two domains and nowhere else. So they want to CONTRAST this, therefore we need a "but".

That's why C is correct and E is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 83 [2], given: 47

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 03:43
snowbirdskier wrote:
Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the domains of administration and teaching, the English language was never really spoken on the island. (GMAT practice test from mba.com)

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

"on the island" except "in the domain". The 2 phrases are paralel through "except". this pattern is logic and correct

is that right?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 04:35
snowbirdskier wrote:

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

"except in" is parallel with " on the land". is that right?

we need two thing parallel when we use "excpet". for example,

except English, foreign languages are taught here

am I correct?

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2014, 10:28
just to clarify excepting for the domains of administration and teaching, the sentence in bold is a dependent clause right?

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 118

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [2], given: 81

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
snowbirdskier wrote:

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

two independent sentence has to be connect by comma +fanboys.. Hence A , B , E out.

out of C & D - except in the domain looks good compared to excepting for the domain.

Answer :C

Kudos [?]: 31 [2], given: 81

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 10:53
snowbirdskier wrote:

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

C is the correct answer because it corrects both the mistakes in the original sentence:
1. Provides a necessary contrast for the situation inspite of Mauritius being a British colony, using "but"
2. "in" is used correctly for referring to the domains of administration, teaching

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 183

WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 23:11
2 independent clauses can be connected by ,FANBOYS. Only C and D have that structure. D is not idiomatic / awkward

C it is

I'm on 680... 20 days to reach 700 +

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 183

NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2014, 21:52
snowbirdskier wrote:

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

We need to show a change - we need except & but
So C, 40 seconds :)

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17636 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 20:06
Quote:
(b) is a run-on sentence.
"X was Y, except in Z" would be a sentence by itself.
therefore, "X was Y, except in Z, A was B" is a run-on (you can't tag 2 complete sentences together with a comma).

(c) is awkward, but at least it's correct; it links 2 complete sentences with "and".
Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years,
but
except in the domains of administration and teaching, the English language was never really spoken on the island

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17636 [0], given: 1986

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 129

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 15:27

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

stuck between b & c

MGMAT Sc says , except for is a correct idiom.
so why not D? Can anyone help?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly press +1 Kudos if my post helped you in any way :)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 129

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 16:42
TommyWallach wrote:
The OA is C on this one (I don't know who said differently). B is a run-on sentence. If you start the clause with "except," it's independent, so you should've had a period or semicolon.

-t

Excepting for the domains of administration and teaching, couldn't be a participial phrase modifying the following independent clause?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 06:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 23:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer is C
Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years is the independent clause
the English language was never really spoken on the island is the second dependent clause.

Now there are two decision points here to select the correct answer.
1) First, we need a FANBOYS conjunction to connect the first and second clauses
2) Second, as the Sentence tells us about a fact that is unusual and unexpected. Therefore it should must have - a Conjuctions that represents contrast)

Which conjunction is used to show contrast :- "BUT"

ONLY C and D are candidates among the given options

D is out because of the wrong words- the gerund "ing" excepting instead of the correct form except

C is the correct answer

snowbirdskier wrote:

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

OG16 SC117

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 13 Sep 2016, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 36

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 219 [1], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
snowbirdskier wrote:
Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the domains of administration and teaching, the English language was never really spoken on the island.

A - excepting for
B - except in
C - but except in
D - but excepting for

Here, ''Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years'' is an independent clause. And 'the English language was never really spoken on the island'' is an independent clause, too. If there is no existence of the italic text, then the complete sentence will be considered as run-on-sentence. So, I've to put something in the italic text so that it (italic text) modify the last part of the sentence (the English....). If we want to write two complete sentence one by another, then we have to use semi-colon (;), if there is no use of full-stop. But, here there is no semi-colon at all. So, we have to take help for 'modifier' in the middle of the two sentences (in the italic text). And the modifier should be started with 'conjunction'. Now, I'll eliminate the answer option by this way.

A) there is no conjunction in the starting...
B) There is no conjunction in the starting...
C) yes, we can keep it for some moment...
D) yes, we can also keep it for some while...
E) There is no conjunction in the starting...
So, C and D win. But, There is no idioms like 'excepting for' in the real world. So, we can cross 'D' as well.
Finally, 'C' survives.
Expert, I've given this explanation just to be make sure that my understanding is right or wrong. Did i make any mistake expert?
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 219 [1], given: 179

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 159

Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 01:16
tonebeeze wrote:
Any advice regarding quickly eliminating incorrect answer choices on this problem?

116. Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years,
spoken on the island.

(A) excepting for
(B) except in
(C) but except in
(D) but excepting for

Clause 1Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years,

Clause 2the English language was never really
spoken on the island
So, to connect two clause we need a conjunction and conjunction is present in the above sentence. Such kind of sentences are called run-on sentences.
option C and D has a conjunction but and option E has a preposition.
Hence A, B, and E are out.
Except in is a correct idiom where as excepting for is wrong hence C is correct

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 159

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 21:53
Isn't but and except redundant though?

daboo343 wrote:
tonebeeze wrote:
Any advice regarding quickly eliminating incorrect answer choices on this problem?

116. Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years,
spoken on the island.

(A) excepting for
(B) except in
(C) but except in
(D) but excepting for

Clause 1Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years,

Clause 2the English language was never really
spoken on the island
So, to connect two clause we need a conjunction and conjunction is present in the above sentence. Such kind of sentences are called run-on sentences.
option C and D has a conjunction but and option E has a preposition.
Hence A, B, and E are out.
Except in is a correct idiom where as excepting for is wrong hence C is correct

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 87

Re: Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2017, 21:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 60 posts ] 

Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, excepting for the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap