GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 15:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 822
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2013, 22:27
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:47) correct 43% (01:55) wrong based on 482 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by those who have a previously had strong social connections with existing fraternity members before college. However, one must have attended high school with one or more of the members in order to forge such strong social connections. People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

This argument displays flawed reasoning because it neglects to consider the possibility that


A) many of those who went to high school with TDO fraternity members did not themselves become members of the fraternity
B) it is more important in the long run to socialize with non-fraternity members than to develop strong connections with fraternity members
C) it is more difficult to forge social connections with fraternity members than with non-fraternity members
D) one may easily obtain membership in the fraternity through means other than having strong social connections with existing members
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members


I need suggestions/stance of folks on this.

If I am not wrong this is a causation reasoning wherein the argument flows as below:

(1).SC => membership
(2).HC => SC

(1) and (2) implies HC => SC => Membership

Therefore, ~HC => ~Membership (As per conclusion)

Now in a weaken causation question we can do it in 4 ways as we all know from CR bible :

(1). Alternative cause (2). Cause occurs effect doesn't occurs (3).Cause doesn't occrs effect occs (4).stated relation reversed (5).Statistics Issue

Here IMHO , Option (A) says in many cases

HC => ~membership (Adhering to cause doesn't occur effect occurs)

Option (D) adhers to (1). Alternative cause .

Plz suggest on the above explanation .

_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1192
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 03:53
1
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by those who have a previously had strong social connections with existing fraternity members before college. However, one must have attended high school with one or more of the members in order to forge such strong social connections. People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

This argument displays flawed reasoning because it neglects to consider the possibility that
A) many of those who went to high school with TDO fraternity members did not themselves become members of the fraternity
B) it is more important in the long run to socialize with non-fraternity members than to develop strong connections with fraternity members
C) it is more difficult to forge social connections with fraternity members than with non-fraternity members
D) one may easily obtain membership in the fraternity through means other than having strong social connections with existing members
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members

I need suggestions/stance of folks on this.

If I am not wrong this is a causation reasoning wherein the argument flows as below:

(1).SC => membership
(2).HC => SC

(1) and (2) implies HC => SC => Membership

Therefore, ~HC => ~Membership (As per conclusion)

Now in a weaken causation question we can do it in 4 ways as we all know from CR bible :

(1). Alternative cause (2). Cause occurs effect doesn't occurs (3).Cause doesn't occrs effect occs (4).stated relation reversed (5).Statistics Issue

Here IMHO , Option (A) says in many cases

HC => ~membership (Adhering to cause doesn't occur effect occurs)

Option (D) adhers to (1). Alternative cause .

Plz suggest on the above explanation .


Since option A is your cause of concern, I'll explain only that.

Conclusion - People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

A - This option speaks about people who DID go to high school with the TDO fraternity members. Do we care about them?.. Not at all.. To hell with them.. :P Our concern is about the people who DID NOT go to high school with the TDO fraternity members.. So this option is wrong..
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 822
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 06:03
MacFauz wrote:

Since option A is your cause of concern, I'll explain only that.

Conclusion - People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

A - This option speaks about people who DID go to high school with the TDO fraternity members. Do we care about them?.. Not at all.. To hell with them.. :P Our concern is about the people who DID NOT go to high school with the TDO fraternity members.. So this option is wrong..


Glad to see ur reply.However, can u clear the picture with the causation idea.

~(high School) => ~(membership)

Option (A) Says => Cause doesn't occur but still effect occurs i.e. High school => ~(membership)

Plz advice !
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1192
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 06:36
targetgmatchotu wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Since option A is your cause of concern, I'll explain only that.

Conclusion - People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

A - This option speaks about people who DID go to high school with the TDO fraternity members. Do we care about them?.. Not at all.. To hell with them.. :P Our concern is about the people who DID NOT go to high school with the TDO fraternity members.. So this option is wrong..


Glad to see ur reply.However, can u clear the picture with the causation idea.

~(high School) => ~(membership)

Option (A) Says => Cause doesn't occur but still effect occurs i.e. High school => ~(membership)

Plz advice !

The conclusion of this argument is that people who DID NOT attend high school with members will find getting membership difficult.

The conclusion is not that

People who DID attend high school with members will get membership easily. It is just a premise.

The cause over here is "NOT attending high school with frat members" and the effect of this "Difficulty in getting membership".

Option "A" talks neither about the cause nor about the effect.

Hope it is clear.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1018
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 08:13
2
Hi

I ll try, if it clears your doubt , will be happy.

Conclusion: Its easy to become member, if you have a high school connection with the existing members.

Prethinking Assumption: Its not impossible to become member of the club without a high school connection, but it will be difficult.Hence there may be other ways to take up the membership and these can be easier to.
Notice that nowhere it is discussed that the said method is the only easiest. Its mentioned ...If not followed this method, than it may be difficult to take up membership....Hence it does not reject the possibility of existing of other simpler methods.
I second the thought of MACFAUZ, as we are concerned just about those who went to the school ...Using this line of reasoning we can reject options A and E.

Hope that helps

----------------------------
Consider kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: I'm trying to GMAT?
Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-22-2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:42
1
Just have to make sure you understand the main point: No fraternity friend/ social connection = Difficult joining fraternity

A) out of scope
B) out of scope - not concerned with long term, only what leads to successful joining of fraternity
C) out of scope - don't care about non-fraternity members, they have no tie to the argument
D) Correct, the author failed to recognize that there might be other means of successful joining
E) irrelevant, many members from many schools, could be a large fraternity with big diverse population
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 871
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2014, 12:19
1
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members

what is wrong with E. if current students who did not go to high school with other members of fret managed to get into fret.. then how they got into the fret.. definitely by some other possible way.. then what is the difference between D and E, both are pointing to an external factor.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 21
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2014, 21:26
IMO D :idea:
option E nowhere talks about conclusion and its reasoning , " some members of frarenity who joined high school with other " has no impact on conlusion to negate. does it ??
option D clearly talks about main conclusion and negate the only possiblity for obtaining membership other than having strong social connections.Therfore argument displays flawed reasoning :roll: .
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 369
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 03:18
PiyushK wrote:
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members

what is wrong with E. if current students who did not go to high school with other members of fret managed to get into fret.. then how they got into the fret.. definitely by some other possible way.. then what is the difference between D and E, both are pointing to an external factor.


The argument never does state that the current students without social connections cant get in..Its just that it is difficult..so some members getting in (Might be the ones who did the lot of hard work required) does not weaken the argument..
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 871
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 07:57
JusTLucK04 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members

what is wrong with E. if current students who did not go to high school with other members of fret managed to get into fret.. then how they got into the fret.. definitely by some other possible way.. then what is the difference between D and E, both are pointing to an external factor.


The argument never does state that the current students without social connections cant get in..Its just that it is difficult..so some members getting in (Might be the ones who did the lot of hard work required) does not weaken the argument..


Dont you think both options are pointing to external factor even if it is hard work.
then, in your opinion What option E suggests?
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2013
Posts: 369
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2014, 11:01
PiyushK wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members

what is wrong with E. if current students who did not go to high school with other members of fret managed to get into fret.. then how they got into the fret.. definitely by some other possible way.. then what is the difference between D and E, both are pointing to an external factor.


The argument never does state that the current students without social connections cant get in..Its just that it is difficult..so some members getting in (Might be the ones who did the lot of hard work required) does not weaken the argument..


Dont you think both options are pointing to external factor even if it is hard work.
then, in your opinion What option E suggests?


Hard work is not an external factor..it has been stated in the premises..
E states that the fact that a frat member did not attend the same high school is unaccounted for...This is not true..It is mentioned by the words Easily,Difficult etc..that those who did not attend same high school did get in..but with lot of hard work..
_________________

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 871
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 07:52
1
I think I got it.
it is all about how easily one can join fret.
Author is making a point that one, who has not developed one's social connection by not joining High school with existing members, find it difficult to get into fret.

Because (E) does not talk about weather existing members, who did not join high school with other fret members, faced any difficulty to get into the fret. So it does not weaken the reasoning.

Only (D) talks about existence of other easy method by which one can get into the fret.

Thus D is weakening the argument.

I hope this time I made a right analysis.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 294
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 06:23
TGC wrote:
Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by those who have a previously had strong social connections with existing fraternity members before college. However, one must have attended high school with one or more of the members in order to forge such strong social connections. People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

This argument displays flawed reasoning because it neglects to consider the possibility that
A) many of those who went to high school with TDO fraternity members did not themselves become members of the fraternity
B) it is more important in the long run to socialize with non-fraternity members than to develop strong connections with fraternity members
C) it is more difficult to forge social connections with fraternity members than with non-fraternity members
D) one may easily obtain membership in the fraternity through means other than having strong social connections with existing members
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members


Quote:
People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

Focus on this sentence. We have a flaw there ---> So have to be some other ways to join the fraternity (not difficult) for people who lack social connections.
A. Does not give us another way. Out of scope.
B. Does not give us another way.
C. Does not give us another way. Out of scope.

D. Good! It does not tell what the way. But tells us that this way exists. We can easily join the fraternity in spite of lack of social connections.
E. Tricky one. But maybe it was difficult for these members to join the fraternity. And it does not reveal any flaw in "People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity."
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1854
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 00:43
I am stuck with D and E.
D is much better than E b/c E does not directly connect with the argument, or with "the ease of becoming a membership". E may be a weakener, but D is an assumption. Also, E does not tell whether those members actually attend high schools or not. The word "some" sounds a bit suspicious.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47920
Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 03:06
TGC wrote:
Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by those who have a previously had strong social connections with existing fraternity members before college. However, one must have attended high school with one or more of the members in order to forge such strong social connections. People who lack these social connections because they have not attended high school with one or more current fraternity members will therefore find it difficult to join the fraternity.

This argument displays flawed reasoning because it neglects to consider the possibility that


A) many of those who went to high school with TDO fraternity members did not themselves become members of the fraternity
B) it is more important in the long run to socialize with non-fraternity members than to develop strong connections with fraternity members
C) it is more difficult to forge social connections with fraternity members than with non-fraternity members
D) one may easily obtain membership in the fraternity through means other than having strong social connections with existing members
E) some current members of the fraternity did not go to high school with other members


I need suggestions/stance of folks on this.

If I am not wrong this is a causation reasoning wherein the argument flows as below:

(1).SC => membership
(2).HC => SC

(1) and (2) implies HC => SC => Membership

Therefore, ~HC => ~Membership (As per conclusion)

Now in a weaken causation question we can do it in 4 ways as we all know from CR bible :

(1). Alternative cause (2). Cause occurs effect doesn't occurs (3).Cause doesn't occrs effect occs (4).stated relation reversed (5).Statistics Issue

Here IMHO , Option (A) says in many cases

HC => ~membership (Adhering to cause doesn't occur effect occurs)

Option (D) adhers to (1). Alternative cause .

Plz suggest on the above explanation .


KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



In this one, getting the right answer depends on your ability to spot an alternative possibility not addressed by the author. In fact, the question stem tells us outright that this is the case. The alternative is fairly subtle, but is nonetheless the key to the question. The argument begins by offering one route through which a student can gain a coveted membership to the Theta Delta Psi fraternity. For those aspirants who attended high school with a current member of the house and developed a strong social connection with that member before college, entrance into the fraternity is easy. People who didn't attend high school with a current member can't easily attain membership through this route, but we were never told that this was the only way to easily get into the fraternity. The author concludes that the unconnected individuals will have difficulty joining the fraternity, but that's only valid if the route the author describes is the only possible easy route. But the author never says that. (D) thus gets at the major point the author fails to consider in issuing her hasty conclusion: the possibility that there might be other ways to easily get into the frat. The social connections described will get one into the frat easily, but nowhere does the author state or imply that such connections are actually necessary; maybe there are other means of easy entry.

(A) First of all, those who attended high school with fraternity members are not necessarily the same people who have forged strong social connections with them. So the "many" referred to here may not even be relevant to the argument. Secondly, even assuming these guys are good high school buddies of the members, the author argues only about what conditions make for easy entry into the frat, and need not consider the possibility that many high school classmates of the members would choose not to join.

(B) Associations with non-fraternity members are not relevant to the argument and fall outside of its scope. Additionally, this choice discusses the long term benefits of such connections; we only care about entrance into the fraternity, not about life-long happiness.

(C) The relative difficulty of building these connections has nothing to do with their necessity for membership. This choice also shares with

(B) an interest in non-fraternity members, whom the author never mentions.

(E) is perfectly consistent with the author's argument, as it totally avoids the issue of the ease with which these "current members" got in. This choice falls outside of the author's scope, which is about the possibility of getting into the fraternity with ease, and we therefore can't fault the author for neglecting the possibility raised here.

An 800 test taker always pays close attention to the author's topic and scope. Here, choice (D) is the only one to address the difficulties of obtaining membership; most of the others fall outside of that scope.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 03:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Membership in the Theta Delta Psi fraternity is easily obtained by tho

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.