It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.4
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 12:44
azz90d wrote:
Gradqueen - what are your reasons for thinking that no one else will receive further invites for the LGO InterviewFest? Thanks!

Threefold

1. Remaining spots are not getting filled.
2. IME withdrew and that spot was not vacated.
3. Adcom implied they were done inviting people to interview for the month of January which means they might interview more people in Feb and the InterviewFest is from Jan 26-31
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot for your response Gradqueen, it's much appreciated. I was just confused because you had said in an earlier post that when you spoke to Adcoms, they were still extending interviews for InterviewFest until January 19. Best of luck to you interviewing!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 12:53
azz90d wrote:
Thanks a lot for your response Gradqueen, it's much appreciated. I was just confused because you had said in an earlier post that when you spoke to Adcoms, they were still extending interviews for InterviewFest until January 19. Best of luck to you interviewing!

Yeah, earlier they said that they try to give a one week notice and hence won't send any invites after January 19th but in further conversation when I said someone else could benefit from my interview spot they expressed more clearly.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (M)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 15:09
GradQueen wrote:
azz90d wrote:

Yeah, earlier they said that they try to give a one week notice and hence won't send any invites after January 19th but in further conversation when I said someone else could benefit from my interview spot they expressed more clearly.

Actually, from reading past threads on this site, it looks like interviews are extended up until the decision date (i.e. an applicant in the Class of 2017 was extended an interview on Feb 19th and was ultimately admitted). This makes sense, since room is likely to open up for others as the admissions committee makes their final evaluation of candidates during InterviewFest.

While it may be true that after Jan 19th no more InterviewFest invites will go out, this does not mean that no more interview invites will go out.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 20:59
ADC4 wrote:

There are still 5 unclaimed interview slots so don't lose hope yet!

If I may ask, what are the major gaps in your profile to which you're referring?

Well, I would have to opt for a Skype Interview anyway, so the Interview Fest slot does not matter that much in my case. Three things stand out as gaps in my profile - firstly I'm an international candidate, India - probably the most over competitive demographic, and I have no international experience. Like never even been overseas on vacation. Secondly, so far, though my resume shows an upward trend, I have no marquee names or brands on my resume. Thirdly, over the last year and half, I've been moved from a very operations centric role to a more general management role post my promotion. I guess LGO didn't particularly like the combination. But then, even going in, I had always known that the odds were not in my favor.

GradQueen You're right about them probably not extending an invite for interview fest now. In case you turn down the spot they'll probably invite another candidate though. Last year I think they interviewed around 130 odd candidates before shortlisting 48.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 07:49
harshadrane wrote:
ADC4 wrote:

If I may ask, what are the major gaps in your profile to which you're referring?

Well, I would have to opt for a Skype Interview anyway, so the Interview Fest slot does not matter that much in my case. Three things stand out as gaps in my profile - firstly I'm an international candidate, India - probably the most over competitive demographic, and I have no international experience. Like never even been overseas on vacation. Secondly, so far, though my resume shows an upward trend, I have no marquee names or brands on my resume. Thirdly, over the last year and half, I've been moved from a very operations centric role to a more general management role post my promotion. I guess LGO didn't particularly like the combination. But then, even going in, I had always known that the odds were not in my favor.

GradQueen You're right about them probably not extending an invite for interview fest now. In case you turn down the spot they'll probably invite another candidate though. Last year I think they interviewed around 130 odd candidates before shortlisting 48.

I am very curious how did they drop from 130 to just 80 interviewees. Did they invite the same number of people to the interview fest last year as well? And 5 spots are still unfilled and IME has withdrawn so make that 6..
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 08:25
GradQueen wrote:
harshadrane wrote:
ADC4 wrote:

I am very curious how did they drop from 130 to just 80 interviewees. Did they invite the same number of people to the interview fest last year as well? And 5 spots are still unfilled and IME has withdrawn so make that 6..

80 was a guess based on the number of slots I saw in the interview registration portal. It's possible, I suppose, that they're conducting ~40 Skype interviews in addition to the ~80 on-campus slots...
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT-LGO '19 (D)
GPA: 3.89
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 08:38
GradQueen wrote:
harshadrane wrote:
ADC4 wrote:

80 was a guess based on the number of slots I saw in the interview registration portal. It's possible, I suppose, that they're conducting ~40 Skype interviews in addition to the ~80 on-campus slots...

I'm VERY curious how many they interview. 40 Skype interviews seems like a lot, but they do have a lot of international candidates, so I could maybe see that.

Also, harshadrane, I don't have any big names on my resume. I feel like it's a huge weak point for me. I tried to take jobs with smaller companies to learn how they work. Have you picked which school you are going to go to?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 08:58
Hopeful2018 wrote:

I'm VERY curious how many they interview. 40 Skype interviews seems like a lot, but they do have a lot of international candidates, so I could maybe see that.

Also, harshadrane, I don't have any big names on my resume. I feel like it's a huge weak point for me. I tried to take jobs with smaller companies to learn how they work. Have you picked which school you are going to go to?

I doubt they interview 40 international candidates. The admit around 13 international and 37 domestic candidates - I assume that they interview them in a similar ratio. That's 1 international for every 4 US permanent residents.

I have some ideas about where I want to go, but things are still a bit in the air at the moment.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:03
GradQueen wrote:
harshadrane wrote:
ADC4 wrote:

Maybe they are expecting higher yield and adjusted accordingly? I highly doubt interview slots (regardless of the number) is fixed every year.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:14
Hi Guys,

1. Does anyone know how the LGO interview differs from the regular Sloan interview?
2. Does anyone have names of the potential interviewers?
3. Does anyone have insights about the LGO interview?

Thanks for your help :)
Best
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
mrsandoo617 wrote:
GradQueen wrote:
harshadrane wrote:

Maybe they are expecting higher yield and adjusted accordingly? I highly doubt interview slots (regardless of the number) is fixed every year.

Guys, word of unsolicited advice - it doesn't matter how many they're interviewing. They've extended an invite to all of you. They know you're good on paper and want to attend. At this stage, they're trying to see how well you'll fit in. So just calm down, put your best foot forward and go for the Interview Fest.

And if you could, say Hi to the AdCom on my behalf - I've talked to them over email for almost a year and half now but I've never seen them.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:53
If I'm correct, we're all just trying to see our chances of getting in. That's why we're speculating on how many invitees there are. Because if there's 150, it's 1:3, vs 100 which is 1:2. So, seeing as how there were maybe 80 slots for InterviewFest, it's just crazy good odds.

It's totally speculation, and just talking about our chances. :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
harshadrane wrote:
Hopeful2018 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that :/

So you interviewed last year? Any advice for those of us who will be interviewing in the coming weeks? What should we expect? Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

The interview is pretty straightforward and stress free. They'll ask you about things you've done and try to understand why -
1. When did you fail, what led to that failure?
2. Tell us about a time you didn't get along with your team
3. Tell us about a time when you did something that was extraordinary. Do you wish you'd done better there?

Secondly, why LGO?
1. Tell us why you want to come to this program.
2. Which partner companies would you like to work with.

Overall, I think LGO expects you to make a case that LGO is THE program for you. I think I got a little nervous and fluffed that part. Ok, very nervous and fluffed that part. Most importantly, remain calm - at this stage they want to keep you. You just have to give them a reason to. All the best, hope that helps

AlexGenkins1234, this is a list that harshdrane said we're the questions from last year when he interviewed. If that helps to answer your question.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
T-minus one week and I'll be done with my Skype interview - time to try not to freak out for the next week!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
ChemEng2013 wrote:
T-minus one week and I'll be done with my Skype interview - time to try not to freak out for the next week!

You'll be fine. At this point, they'd need a reason NOT to accept you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
ADC4 wrote:
ChemEng2013 wrote:

You'll be fine. At this point, they'd need a reason NOT to accept you!

That's very nice of you - thank you :)
Ditto to the rest of you guys!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 03:52
I hope we're still holding tight and not letting the winter / anxiety get to us! On a side note, how do we know what type of projects to expect at a particular partner company? It seems like we just need to be able to explain our choice set of companies in 1-2 sentences. So I'm trying to think of how to figure out the good fits beyond industry - any thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
sbuxkid wrote:
I hope we're still holding tight and not letting the winter / anxiety get to us! On a side note, how do we know what type of projects to expect at a particular partner company? It seems like we just need to be able to explain our choice set of companies in 1-2 sentences. So I'm trying to think of how to figure out the good fits beyond industry - any thoughts?

The LGO website has a lot of valuable information. It details the types of projects past LGOs have done as internships at partner companies as well as example job titles LGOs have held at these companies upon graduation. I'd recommend exploring the website in more detail.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 15:08
ChemEng2013 wrote:
I've probably narrowed it down to about five so far - I have an general idea of what "area" I want to work in, but a lot of companies would satisfy that, so I'll likely need to do a bit more research first. I'm thinking ABB, Boeing, Amgen, Li & Fung, Sanofi. I was worried they wanted us to have a specific choice already - I was talking to one of the students and she said if you just have one or two sentences about why the company/companies you chose might be a good fit, that's really enough.

Where is everyone based out of currently? Ready for some Boston winters if we get in?
Tip from a former Boston gal - DO NOT live across the river from MIT if it can be avoided because waiting for the bus in the middle of winter there is NOT fun.

As an MIT undergrad I took the MIT provided shuttles, Saferide. It made living across the river more manageable. Although, at the time it filled up quickly. If I were to go back, I would live in Cambridge just blocks away from campus.
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2017, 15:08

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  34    Next  [ 677 posts ] 

Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap