It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 71

GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 01:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:35) correct 57% (01:32) wrong based on 115 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans arrived in Eurasia, and many scientists suspect the two events are closely linked. One popular theory is that modern humans contributed to the demise of their close cousins, either by outcompeting them for resources or through open conflict.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the popular theory described above?

A. A recent study of Shanidar 3, one of the Neanderthals campsite discovered, concluded that the Neanderthals likely died of a rib wound that could have been created by the kind of projectile weapons used by modern humans living at the time.

B. Scientists have recently discovered some bones and teeth belonging to modern humans that looked as though they had been killed by Neanderthals.

C. Recently excavated fossils provide sustainable evidence that the Neanderthals died out because they couldn’t reproduce fast enough to keep up with modern humans.

D. Some Scientists argue that the Neanderthals may have had a harder time during childbirth due to the large head of Neanderthal babies.

E. Several volcanoes in Eurasia have erupted in quick succession about 40,000 years ago before modern humans arrived in Europe.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by DHAR on 13 Aug 2017, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 179

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 01:43
The answer should be D. Answer choice D implies that a factor related to problems during giving birth could have possibly led to Neanderthal's extinction in Eurasia. This answer choice weakens the author's conclusion by citing an alternate explanation than the one offered by the argument.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 179

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [1], given: 861

GMAT ToolKit User
Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
I would go with C on this one. Will explain once the OA is revealed and if this is correct.

Posted from my mobile device

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 51 [1], given: 861

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 959 [0], given: 69

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 04:01
Bounce1987 wrote:
The answer should be D. Answer choice D implies that a factor related to problems during giving birth could have possibly led to Neanderthal's extinction in Eurasia. This answer choice weakens the author's conclusion by citing an alternate explanation than the one offered by the argument.

Hi Bounce1987 ,

D cannot be the answer. It says mothers used to cry a lot when they used to give son to their babies as the head of the baby was too big. How does it tell us they got extinct? This option is completely OFS.

Quote:
Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans arrived in Eurasia, and many scientists suspect the two events are closely linked. One popular theory is that modern humans contributed to the demise of their close cousins, either by outcompeting them for resources or through open conflict.

Okay, so we need to weaken the theory that says Humans killed Neanderthals.

A. A recent study of Shanidar 3, one of the Neanderthals campsite discovered, concluded that the Neanderthals likely died of a rib wound that could have been created by the kind of projectile weapons used by modern humans living at the time. --> Strengthener

B. Scientists have recently discovered some bones and teeth belonging to modern humans that looked as though they had been killed by Neanderthals. --> Strengthener

C. Recently excavated fossils provide sustainable evidence that the Neanderthals died out because they couldn’t reproduce fast enough to keep up with modern humans.

D. Some Scientists argue that the Neanderthals may have had a harder time during childbirth due to the large head of Neanderthal babies. --> As discussed above

E. Several volcanoes in Eurasia have erupted in quick succession about 40,000 years ago before modern humans arrived in Europe. --> Irrelevant

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 05:04
I was tied up between D and E. Chose E, but realized that the OA is C??

Experts, please help. :(

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 05:12
rekhabishop wrote:

Hi rekhabishop ,

Please look here for why D is incorrect.

E is irrelevant because it says there were some volcano eruptions. Fine but how do you Neanderthals were present 40,000 years ago only? It may happen that Neanderthals were present just 10000 years ago. Hence, incorrect.

Does that make sense?

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 06:05
abhimahna wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:

Hi rekhabishop ,

Please look here for why D is incorrect.

E is irrelevant because it says there were some volcano eruptions. Fine but how do you Neanderthals were present 40,000 years ago only? It may happen that Neanderthals were present just 10000 years ago. Hence, incorrect.

Does that make sense?

Isn't C supporting the argument?
Lower birth rate means that they were out competed (survival of the fittest), right?

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 959 [1], given: 69

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 06:21
This post received
KUDOS
rekhabishop wrote:
Isn't C supporting the argument?
Lower birth rate means that they were out competed (survival of the fittest), right?

Hi rekhabishop ,

Here is the catch:

The theory is saying Humans led to the demise. We have to weaken it and say No, something else was the reason.

Option C says (as you mentioned )survival of the fittest is the reason.

hence, the theory is weakened.

Does that make sense?

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 662

GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 06:22
abhimahna wrote:
Bounce1987 wrote:

Hi Bounce1987 ,

D cannot be the answer. It says mothers used to cry a lot when they used to give son to their babies as the head of the baby was too big. How does it tell us they got extinct? This option is completely OFS.

Quote:

A. A recent study of Shanidar 3, one of the Neanderthals campsite discovered, concluded that the Neanderthals likely died of a rib wound that could have been created by the kind of projectile weapons used by modern humans living at the time. --> Strengthener

B. Scientists have recently discovered some bones and teeth belonging to modern humans that looked as though they had been killed by Neanderthals. --> Strengthener

D. Some Scientists argue that the Neanderthals may have had a harder time during childbirth due to the large head of Neanderthal babies. --> As discussed above

E. Several volcanoes in Eurasia have erupted in quick succession about 40,000 years ago before modern humans arrived in Europe. --> Irrelevant

Thanks abhimahna

I forget to point that out.. D is not talking about extinction its only talking about the difficulty mothers had during child birth. C seems right.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 662

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 41

Schools: Fuqua
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:00
I don't understand how can the OA be C. Statement says that Neanderthals died because they couldn't reproduce fast enough to keep up with Modern Human. Doesn't that prove that modern human out-competed Neanderthals?? Therefore C rather strengthens.

It would weaken the conclusion if the statement had the following structure: "Recently excavated fossils provide sustainable evidence that the Neanderthals died out because they couldn’t reproduce fast enough to keep the population growth positive"

Experts, please, correct me if I am wrong.

If you find my solution useful, hit the "Kudos" button

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:25
Vardan95 wrote:
I don't understand how can the OA be C. Statement says that Neanderthals died because they couldn't reproduce fast enough to keep up with Modern Human. Doesn't that prove that modern human out-competed Neanderthals?? Therefore C rather strengthens.

It would weaken the conclusion if the statement had the following structure: "Recently excavated fossils provide sustainable evidence that the Neanderthals died out because they couldn’t reproduce fast enough to keep the population growth positive"

Hi Vardan95 ,

Please read the explanation given for C here

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 861

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:27
Vardan95 wrote:

Hi,
Let me try to explain this.
The arguement is Whether modern humans somehow CONTRIBUTED to the downfall of Neanderthals

The arguement states that they did. To weaken this argument, we would have to point out that the humans were not responsible for or contributed to the downfall, but it was something else.
Option C clearly states that it was in fact the Neanderthals themselves responsible for their own downfall since they were the ones who couldn't reproduce enough.
Now..were it the humans who somehow contributed to this lack of active reproduction? No. Therefore, C.
I hope this helps.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 861

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:39
abhimahna wrote:
Vardan95 wrote:

Hi Vardan95 ,

Please read the explanation given for C here

Hello
I've read it before posting. The thing is that I find your reasoning for C rather controversial. If C implies the survival of the fittest, it means that X out-competes Y. Therefore C strengthens.

Again, C would weaken only if the statement was not linked to Modern Human species.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:44
ShashankDave wrote:
Vardan95 wrote:

Hi,
Let me try to explain this.
The arguement is Whether modern humans somehow CONTRIBUTED to the downfall of Neanderthals

The arguement states that they did. To weaken this argument, we would have to point out that the humans were not responsible for or contributed to the downfall, but it was something else.
Option C clearly states that it was in fact the Neanderthals themselves responsible for their own downfall since they were the ones who couldn't reproduce enough.
Now..were it the humans who somehow contributed to this lack of active reproduction? No. Therefore, C.
I hope this helps.

Hello,

All I am saying is that C doesn't state that Neanderthals couldn't survive because of the low birth rate. It states that they couldn't survive because low birth rate didn't allow them to keep up with modern humans. This means that they couldn't compete with modern humans and that actually caused their extinction. So Modern Human out-competed them and that is perfect fits "popular theory".

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:53
Vardan95 wrote:
Hello
I've read it before posting. The thing is that I find your reasoning for C rather controversial. If C implies the survival of the fittest, it means that X out-competes Y. Therefore C strengthens.

Again, C would weaken only if the statement was not linked to Modern Human species.

Hi Vardan95 ,

Okay, so you are making some assumptions here.

If X is not growing as quickly as Y, then it doesn't mean X outcompetes Y.

Consider it like this:

Humans are 1000 and Neatheral are 100 at this time.

Now,Humans are growing way too faster than Neatherals.

I can say Humans grew to 100000000 in one year but neatheral grew only to 200. Wow, very negligible count of Neatherals!

Don't you think this weakens the conclusion saying that Humans are not actually competing rather it is Neatherals fault that they can't reproduce quickly? Poor Neatherals!! :P

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 09:18
abhimahna wrote:
Vardan95 wrote:
Hello

Hi Vardan95 ,

Okay, so you are making some assumptions here.

If X is not growing as quickly as Y, then it doesn't mean X outcompetes Y.

Consider it like this:

Humans are 1000 and Neatheral are 100 at this time.

Now,Humans are growing way too faster than Neatherals.

I can say Humans grew to 100000000 in one year but neatheral grew only to 200. Wow, very negligible count of Neatherals!

Don't you think this weakens the conclusion saying that Humans are not actually competing rather it is Neatherals fault that they can't reproduce quickly? Poor Neatherals!! :P

Appreciate your efforts to explain me, but no, I don't this that this weakens. And all because of this part "the Neanderthals died out because they couldn’t reproduce fast enough to keep up with modern humans." They died out not because they couldn't reproduce fast enough, but they died out because they couldn't reproduce fast enoughto keep up with modern humans. You cannot omit the highlighted part.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 10:57
abhimahna wrote:
Bounce1987 wrote:

Hi Bounce1987 ,

Quote:

Hi,

I am confused by B is a strengthener.

The argument says humans killed neanderthals. Option B says the opposite. Isn't that weakening the argument? Can you please help me figure out where I am wrong in my reasoning?

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
pra1785 wrote:
Hi,

The argument says humans killed neanderthals. Option B says the opposite. Isn't that weakening the argument? Can you please help me figure out where I am wrong in my reasoning?

Hi pra1785 ,

I am happy to help.

Look at the words "either by outcompeting them for resources or through open conflict."

What does it mean? It means there was some sort of war that would have happened between the two. Now, if you say humans would have not died during that war, I won't believe you at all.

Hence, finding bones of human is inevitable and thus it strengthens the fact that there must be some sort of war at that time.

Does that make sense?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 11:24
abhimahna wrote:
pra1785 wrote:
Hi,

Hi pra1785 ,

I am happy to help.

Look at the words "either by outcompeting them for resources or through open conflict."

What does it mean? It means there was some sort of war that would have happened between the two. Now, if you say humans would have not died during that war, I won't believe you at all.

Hence, finding bones of human is inevitable and thus it strengthens the fact that there must be some sort of war at that time.

Does that make sense?

YES !

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much. Stupid me

Re: Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 11:24

Neanderthals vanished around roughly the same time that modern humans

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap