GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Jan 2020, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need help!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Need help!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 10:13
Hello guys,

I am relatively new to GMATclub, and i need some help.

I am planning to give GMAT in the first week of March and i intend to apply to MiM for an intake of Fall 2020.

Background - 1.2 years of work experience from a top IT firm. I have been an above average student throughout until my 12th grade, where some family problems created a huge set back and i couldn't perform. Due to which i have a year back too. But i managed to improve my CGPA from 5.05 to 9.30. I have participated, won and many debate and elocution competitions, organized college fests and have been the school president for 2 consecutive years.
I have no international experience and i feel my background is quite flat. Being over-ambitious, that i am, i plan to apply to at least 3 top MiM colleges, including INSEAD and HEC.

I have just recently started preparing, before preparation my mock score was 260 and after preparation of about a week and a half, my scores increased to 620.
In the next 3 months, i hope to score around 710-730.

Do you think i am missing the point and being too ambitious? Or are there people who have had an normal background and still managed to get in the Top B-schools?

Also, is MiM worth it?

Nupur.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Need help!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 12:09
Hi Nupur,

First off, since you're interested in some highly-competitive Programs, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so giving yourself another 3 months of study time is a smart choice. Now you have to focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics and your improvement in those areas will depend a great deal on the study materials that you use.

1) What study materials are you currently using?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 19:35
Nupur1995 - Welcome to GMAT Club. Increasing your practice test score from a baseline 260 to 620 is indeed impressive. To answer your question, I would say that it's ABSOLUTELY possible to increase your score from 620 to 730+, if not more. Typically, test-takers take 3 months for GMAT preparation and several of them score 740-760+. Therefore, your goal is highly probable. That said, you have to be very structured and strategic at that score level.

For motivation, I would recommend that you read a few success stories available in our forum; these stories highlight the highs and lows of the GMAT experience.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-st ... ml?fl=menu

All the best, Nupur.

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 21:34
rich : Thank you for the insight and the link.

1. I am not using any specific prep material as I am confused, which one is the best. I rely mostly on e-gmat courses and practice mocks that I find online. Can you please suggest which prep material should I use?
2. I work full time, so I spend about 3 hours on weekdays and 6-8 hours on weekends.

DisciplinedPrep : Thank you for the motivation! I will go through the stories :)

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 22:07
Nupur1995 wrote:
I have just recently started preparing, before preparation my mock score was 260 and after preparation of about a week and a half, my scores increased to 620.

360 point jump in 10 days of preparation :shocked

After this feat, did you by any chance, consider getting in touch with Guinness book of world records?
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 22:20
EducationAisle : Hahahha, makes me feel good. But I personally didn't think of it much. I feel the low score was because I had forgotten the basic concepts and proper grammar. Once I prepared and brushed up my concepts, the score increased.

But now my scores aren't going beyond 630-650 :(

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 22:44
Nupur1995 : I'm also in the same boat as yours. I've had a year back in my undergrad due to which my GPA is not very impressive. Hence I'm relying on a high gmat score and my work experience which would offset the average acads to some degree atleast. That being said , to have a strong case your application also need to be top notch to impress the school peeps.What materials are you relying on for preparation ?,, and have you enrolled for any prep courses ??.

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Need help!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 08:42
Hi Nupur1995,

Improving from 260 to 620 is no joke, my friend. Nice work!

Regarding resources, check out some of the success stories of past GMAT students as well as reviews of various GMAT prep courses to see what prep materials have worked for other test-takers.

Aso, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 20:48
Hi Nupur,

Based on your initial post, it sounded as though you had taken just 2 CATs (the 260 and the recent 620). Based on your last post though, have you taken any additional CATs (you referenced scores of 630 and 650)? I ask because each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week (and by extension, taking 3-4 CATs over the course of 10 days was NOT a good idea).

1) How many total CATs/mocks have you taken and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) What "brand(s)" of CATs did you take? Did you take any of them more than once?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 06:11
hari848848 : I haven't enrolled for any prep course, but I will, soon. I will let you know which one I join ?. All the best for your prep!

scott : Thanks a lot! I will go through the articles :)

rich : I have given about 7 CATs in 19 days, I didn't know it was bad ? I will get back to you with the exact scores. And I didn't repeat the same test.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2019, 22:23
Nupur1995 : thanks for the wishes and yeah , enroll for a course asap , and I was also stuck at the 650 level for quite sometime and then i realised that the finer details in questions which i used to miss , for example the ones in DS , got my scores plateaued. Verbal is a completely different case though. But I realised that maintaining and revisiting the error log and staying extra vigilant on the questions and spotting the trap answers were very important in touching that 700 mark. Anyways lemme know if u need any suggestions with the prep courses and mock tests.

Best
Hari

Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 19:06
Nupur1995 wrote:

scott : Thanks a lot! I will go through the articles :)

My pleasure!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 19:51
This guy must get paid by the post, LOL.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need help!!   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2019, 19:51

Need help!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep