Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Need help with basic startery for way forward to GMAT main test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi amulya619,

Given your recent FULL-LENGTH CAT Scores, the goal to raise a low-500s score to a 700+ score in a month is simply not realistic. Since all of those CAT scores are from Princeton CATs, I'd like to see how you perform on one of the Official GMAC CATs though. I suggest you take one this weekend and make sure to make it as realistic as possible (so take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you think you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here. Given the trend in your CAT scores, you would likely need another 2-3 months of consistent, guided to study to hit your goal score. As such, you will likely need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Re: Need help with basic startery for way forward to GMAT main test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi amulya619,

Let’s see how you score on the official practice test you’re going to take. After seeing that score, we can provide some better guidance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi amulya619,

Given your recent FULL-LENGTH CAT Scores, the goal to raise a low-500s score to a 700+ score in a month is simply not realistic. Since all of those CAT scores are from Princeton CATs, I'd like to see how you perform on one of the Official GMAC CATs though. I suggest you take one this weekend and make sure to make it as realistic as possible (so take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you think you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here. Given the trend in your CAT scores, you would likely need another 2-3 months of consistent, guided to study to hit your goal score. As such, you will likely need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thanks for your inputs!!!!

I am totally in agreement with you regarding the GMAC mock test. Planned to give it this weekend.

However i feel that the my scores of Princeton's test are are not the true reflection. For example, in the recent test, in which i scored 500, i got 30 questions correct out of 37 with only 3 wrong in first 20 and i got the score of 38.

So, the GMAC test can make the picture more clear.

Will update my GMAC score this weekend and thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it!!

Regards,

Amulya
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi amulya619,

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC and JeffTargetTestPrep,

I gave the GMAT prep practice test today and scored 620 (Q48, V27).

Eagerly waiting for your inputs.

Regards,

Amulya
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amulya619,

While a 620 is an improvement from your last few CATs, it's still going to take some significant effort to raise this score to a 700+. Given your general timeframe, you're looking at less than 4 weeks of study time remaining. To hit your goal score, you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle the Verbal section (and if you could squeeze out a few more points from the Quant section, then that would help).

Before you 'rush in' to take the GMAT (potentially too soon), you should be clear on each of the application deadlines that you're facing. If you're looking at Round 2 deadlines, then you could have 2-3 months of time with which you could study and take the GMAT - so trying to force all of this GMAT effort into the month of October is probably not necessary.

1) Have you completed all of your current study materials?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi amulya619,

While a 620 is an improvement from your last few CATs, it's still going to take some significant effort to raise this score to a 700+. Given your general timeframe, you're looking at less than 4 weeks of study time remaining. To hit your goal score, you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle the Verbal section (and if you could squeeze out a few more points from the Quant section, then that would help).

Before you 'rush in' to take the GMAT (potentially too soon), you should be clear on each of the application deadlines that you're facing. If you're looking at Round 2 deadlines, then you could have 2-3 months of time with which you could study and take the GMAT - so trying to force all of this GMAT effort into the month of October is probably not necessary.

1) Have you completed all of your current study materials?

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thanks for your feedback.

I totally agree with your point regarding the Round 2 deadlines. Actually, the only reason for me taking GMAT in OCT last was round 2 deadlines.

I have not completed the course material Princeton gave. From question bank: Quant-around 20% and verbal- Around 60% still remains.

Nowadays, i am studying via GMAT club question banks.

Can you please suggest some good quant question bank as i feel that the one of Princeton's is below par as per GMAT is concerned.

Thanks and Regards,

Amulya
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amulya619,

Based on your most recent post (and some comments that you've made in your prior posts), I'm hoping that you can clarify a few points:

1) Are you going to push back your Test Date? (I think that this would be a good idea - you'll have a much better chance to hit your score goal if you have 2 months of additional study time than if you have less than 4 weeks).
2) You were concerned that some of your current study materials were not helping you to properly prepare. Are you still planning to work through the rest of those study materials or not?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot