It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with Verbal Section on GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

GMAT 1: 550 Q46 V20
GMAT 2: 550 Q46 V20
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Need help with Verbal Section on GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 21:01
Hi all,

Need help on how to improve my verbal score and any changes/recommendations required in my Prep Process.

Verbal (Study Strategy)
SC :
I started reading with MGMAT SC (A very useful book) helped me to get through the basics very well. Solved all the problem sets in all chapters.

After completing the MGMAT SC, I started working on all the OG SC Questions. Gone through all the explanations given by GMATClub members (hats-off to you people for making such a wonderful thing happen) and noted down take away from each question.
I was able to solve the SC questions well compared to previous encounters

CR :
I kind of used the videos given in the following link in GMATClub https://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-y ... 09291.html. These videos are helpful. Also, I completed reading Powerscore CR Bible. Now my accuracy in CR has gone up but accuracy in SC and RC have gone down.

RC :
Completed reading the MGMAT RC book.....The approach in MGMAT RC is really helpful.

But as I said previously I have the following problems while giving practice tests now:

1. I was getting a very good accuracy in SC and RC (70-80%).But, after I picked up in CR(40 % to 70% accuracy after going through the Powerscore CR Bible) my accuracy in CR has gone up but has drastically reduced in SC and RC (48 % and 23 % respectively).
2. I am finding it difficult to switch after solving an SC Question and then encountering a CR Question. How do I overcome this?
3. In SC I am able to narrow down to two options after eliminating other answer choices, but am not able to select the right one as I lack in concept or never encountered such a particular question type in most cases.
4. In Verbal section mainly, I am able to answer questions properly when I am practicing but not able to get the questions right while giving a test.

Need suggestions badly on how to overcome these weak areas? Any suggestion open.

Thanks in Advance,
Eshwar Nag Lanka

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 312

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Need help with Verbal Section on GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
leshwarnag wrote:
Hi all,
1. I was getting a very good accuracy in SC and RC (70-80%).But, after I picked up in CR(40 % to 70% accuracy after going through the Powerscore CR Bible) my accuracy in CR has gone up but has drastically reduced in SC and RC (48 % and 23 % respectively).

There may be number of reasons for this, probably you are spending too much time in CR and so on, or may be due to point no. 2.
So, you yourself have to know the reason.. "why"
leshwarnag wrote:
2. I am finding it difficult to switch after solving an SC Question and then encountering a CR Question. How do I overcome this?

Create sets of questions - either use Question pack - 1 or any question bank that you get along with any course you enrolled for. The sets should be 10CR+10 SC.. or something like that. You can also use Veritas question bank ( total 10 questions - and select CR and SC.. or along with RC).
This is a common problem, which even I faced during my initial days. I do not think there is any ready made solution to this problems, except creating sets that will train your mind for the "switch".
leshwarnag wrote:
3. In SC I am able to narrow down to two options after eliminating other answer choices, but am not able to select the right one as I lack in concept or never encountered such a particular question type in most cases.

SC is like a matching game !! MGMAT SC is a good start, but you must also know how to play the game.
ALL OFFICIAL SC QUESTIONS have more than one split between two answer choices - if you can't work on one split, look for another. This looking and working on another split, when you fail to decide on the first split, is the key to get any SC questions correct [ Any - i mean that will guarantee you a handsome percentile. There will be questions in GMAT that is impossible to solve. I had some of them, which I think even if i had to attempt them in non testing environment, I couldn't do them correctly. My SC percentile as per my ESR is 99.. So, I understand that there will be a point you should know to tell yourself - "lets leave it".. and move on]
leshwarnag wrote:
4. In Verbal section mainly, I am able to answer questions properly when I am practicing but not able to get the questions right while giving a test.

All tests are adaptive, so, there will always be questions that you won't be able to solve. So, this is not a problem I understand.

All the best !! Cheers...

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 312

Need help with Verbal Section on GMAT   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 05:15

Need help with Verbal Section on GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap