GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 08:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Quant   Verbal   
 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 13:32
Dear GMAT Experts,

My name is Jason and I am a 20-year old BSc student from the Netherlands.

After I finish my BSc I want to directly do a Master's Programme. This requires me to score a minimum of 600 on the GMAT. The GMAT is something that is fairly uncommon in The Netherlands. Most universities don't require a GMAT in order to be accepted.

I have 5-6 months to prepare, as I will have to take the exam in July-August. I have about 10 hours per week to prepare. I hope you would be able to help me with the following questions:

- Which books would you recommend me to buy? Are books the way to go to study for the GMAT? I have downloaded these GMAT apps already, for some studying on the go.
- What is a good source for test exams? I read that I should do a test exam every week in order to see where I need to improve on.
- A 600, for a BSc student, is that something that is do-able? At the moment, my moral is just very low. Somehow, I don't see how I can pass this GMAT, next to going to university full-time.

Any help is much appreciated,

Jason
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Location: Pakistan
Re: Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 04:21
Hi Jason,

A good place to start would be determining where you stand right now with regards to the topics covered in the GMAT. Have you managed to skim through the books and found that you have forgotten most of the concepts? Or is there a faint memory of those topics?

If it's the former, Foundations series of MGMAT is a good start. If it's the latter, I would suggest you read through the books once to revise the concepts and then do a practice test to see where you stand.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Need Kudos to unlock next tier. Please give Kudos if you found my reply helpful. TIA!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Re: Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 07:53
WIKI18 wrote:
Hi Jason,

A good place to start would be determining where you stand right now with regards to the topics covered in the GMAT. Have you managed to skim through the books and found that you have forgotten most of the concepts? Or is there a faint memory of those topics?

If it's the former, Foundations series of MGMAT is a good start. If it's the latter, I would suggest you read through the books once to revise the concepts and then do a practice test to see where you stand.

Hope this helps.


Thank you very much for your response! I actually haven't bought any books yet. So do you have an idea which one I should get?

What I see is that the courses on the link are very expensive ($280-$2800). Is that something you can do without?

Thanks!

Jason
RC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 24 Aug 2016
Posts: 678
Location: Canada
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 08:49
Hello Nervousaf .... welcome to the community.

I would first check where I stand. So I would get the current OG .... it will provide you a diagnostic test. So, you can then gauge yourself.
Otherwise , try any other free GMAT full mocks in the web. (they might not be the closest to GMAT - but that's max you can get free)

Once, you know your target points .... then ponder the options in terms of courses.

I would also like you to go through the post below (I believe all the beginners should go through this):
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml#p605856

All the best !!
_________________

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Location: Pakistan
Re: Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 23:18
Nervousaf wrote:
WIKI18 wrote:
Hi Jason,

A good place to start would be determining where you stand right now with regards to the topics covered in the GMAT. Have you managed to skim through the books and found that you have forgotten most of the concepts? Or is there a faint memory of those topics?

If it's the former, Foundations series of MGMAT is a good start. If it's the latter, I would suggest you read through the books once to revise the concepts and then do a practice test to see where you stand.

Hope this helps.


Thank you very much for your response! I actually haven't bought any books yet. So do you have an idea which one I should get?

What I see is that the courses on the link are very expensive ($280-$2800). Is that something you can do without?

Thanks!

Jason


Jason,

What the above user has said is correct. You will need to buy the OG regardless of whatever other course you buy, since OG has official practice questions. Do the diagnostic test and see where you stand.

I don't think 600 should be a problem if your foundations for the test are strong. I can recommend a few books. PM me if you have any specific requirements of what the books should cover.
_________________

Need Kudos to unlock next tier. Please give Kudos if you found my reply helpful. TIA!

Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 719
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 08:12
Nervousaf wrote:
Dear GMAT Experts,

My name is Jason and I am a 20-year old BSc student from the Netherlands.

After I finish my BSc I want to directly do a Master's Programme. This requires me to score a minimum of 600 on the GMAT. The GMAT is something that is fairly uncommon in The Netherlands. Most universities don't require a GMAT in order to be accepted.

I have 5-6 months to prepare, as I will have to take the exam in July-August. I have about 10 hours per week to prepare. I hope you would be able to help me with the following questions:

- Which books would you recommend me to buy? Are books the way to go to study for the GMAT? I have downloaded these GMAT apps already, for some studying on the go.
- What is a good source for test exams? I read that I should do a test exam every week in order to see where I need to improve on.
- A 600, for a BSc student, is that something that is do-able? At the moment, my moral is just very low. Somehow, I don't see how I can pass this GMAT, next to going to university full-time.

Any help is much appreciated,

Jason


In 6 months one can improve a lot from his/her base level. Have you given a free mock exam from mba.com. If yes, share your baseline score.

Make it a point that you give your first priority to OG bundle and 6 mocks from mba.com.

GMATCLUB mocks are good for Quant. You may find this link use for getting some free trials and selecting the one which suits you best:-

https://gmatclub.com/marketplace/?fl=menu

All the best for your prep!!
_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2019, 08:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need to score a 600 GMAT, No idea where to start.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.