GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 05:20

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 22:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:46) correct 13% (01:44) wrong based on 222 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: CR 88
Page: 493

Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings. Thus paleontologists’ recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the passage?

(A) Sandactylus’ wings were far more similar to the wings of bats than to the wings of birds.

(B) Paleontologists do not know whether winged dinosaurs other than Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

(C) The mechanism used by bats for dispersing heat in flight could, in principle, work for much larger flying creatures, such as Sandactylus.

(D) Not all the bats that use the mechanism described in the passage for dispersing heat in flight live in climates similar to the climate in which Sandactylus lived.

(E) Other winged dinosaurs that flew only by gliding had networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings similar to those that Sandactylus had.

Similar Question : LINK 1 LINK 2

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 22:31
Question Type: Weaken

Argument: Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding

(A) Sandactylus’ wings were far more similar to the wings of bats than to the wings of birds. - Opposite.

(B) Paleontologists do not know whether winged dinosaurs other than Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings. - We are not worried about winged dinos other than Sandactylus.

(C) The mechanism used by bats for dispersing heat in flight could, in principle, work for much larger flying creatures, such as Sandactylus. - Opposite.

(D) Not all the bats that use the mechanism described in the passage for dispersing heat in flight live in climates similar to the climate in which Sandactylus lived. - Even if some bats use the mechanism live in climates similar to Sandactylus then it strengthens the argument.

(E) Other winged dinosaurs that flew only by gliding had networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings similar to those that Sandactylus had. - Correct.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 22:41
E
Assumptions - network of blood vessels is necessarily for heat dispersion during flapping. E attacks this point

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 06:52
GMATNinjaTwo VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja
generis

I can not understand PoE for A and C since in explanations, in OE it says that these two options strengthen the conclusion.

Since this is a weaken question, I first begin with what do I have to weaken:
I have to weaken the hypothesis that Sandactyus flew by using two mechanisms:
A. By flapping its wings
B. By gliding.
My correct weakener should try to claim: Sandactylus flew ONLY by flapping its wing OR ONLY by gliding. (1)
Or my correct weakener shall cast doubt on: Sandactylus does flyies by using either of two mechanisms. (2)
Does (1) and (2) mean the same?

How does author arrive at this hypothesis?
He believes on the results of the discovery of paleontologists that there are SIMILAR networks of blood vessels in skin of wings between Sandactyus and bats. How does similarity helps in arriving at conclusion?
Because network of blood vessels in wings of bat perform ONLY one function - to disperse heat that is generated when they fly. There is no other cause (bats flapping wings) that lead to effect (generation of heat)

So basically author tries to use evidence of similar networks of blood vessels in bats and Sandactyus to conclude that Sandactyus flew by flapping its wings apart from gliding used to fly.

Quote:
(A) Sandactylus’ wings were far more similar to the wings of bats than to the wings of birds.

Similarity of wings between birds and bats is not concern for me. As per argument, I am concerned with similar network of blood vessels between Sandactyus and bats.
This option is out.

Quote:
(B) Paleontologists do not know whether winged dinosaurs other than Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.
Knowledge of paleontologists is outside the scope of argument.

Quote:
(C) The mechanism used by bats for dispersing heat in flight could, in principle, work for much larger flying creatures, such as Sandactylus.
Mechanisms - I am not sure what is the mechanism here and how will affect the conclusion of flying by flapping wings or by gliding.
Quote:

(D) Not all the bats that use the mechanism described in the passage for dispersing heat in flight live in climates similar to the climate in which Sandactylus lived.
Totally irrelevent to the argument. The argument talks about bats and Sandactyus , not different types of bats and Sandactyus

Quote:
(E) Other winged dinosaurs that flew only by gliding had networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings similar to those that Sandactylus had.
I am concerned with mechanism used by Sandactyus (flapping wings or gliding) for performing action of flying, not how OTHER WINGED DINOSAURS fly.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 00:32
Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings. Thus paleontologists’ recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the passage?

(A) Sandactylus’ wings were far more similar to the wings of bats than to the wings of birds. --Both birds and bats fly by flapping their wings. This doesn't weaken the argument

(B) Paleontologists do not know whether winged dinosaurs other than Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings. --Other dinosaurs are out of scope

(C) The mechanism used by bats for dispersing heat in flight could, in principle, work for much larger flying creatures, such as Sandactylus. --This would strengthen the argument that Sandactylus flew by flapping their wings

(D) Not all the bats that use the mechanism described in the passage for dispersing heat in flight live in climates similar to the climate in which Sandactylus lived. --Climate is out of scope

(E) Other winged dinosaurs that flew only by gliding had networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings similar to those that Sandactylus had. --Correct. If their other dinosaurs that had similar blood vessels and that glided then this option would weaken the argument

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 16:24
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja
generis

I can not understand PoE for A and C since in explanations, in OE it says that these two options strengthen the conclusion.

Since this is a weaken question, I first begin with what do I have to weaken:
I have to weaken the hypothesis that Sandactyus flew by using two mechanisms:
A. By flapping its wings
B. By gliding.
My correct weakener should try to claim: Sandactylus flew ONLY by flapping its wing OR ONLY by gliding. (1)
Or my correct weakener shall cast doubt on: Sandactylus does flyies by using either of two mechanisms. (2)
Does (1) and (2) mean the same?

How does author arrive at this hypothesis?
He believes on the results of the discovery of paleontologists that there are SIMILAR networks of blood vessels in skin of wings between Sandactyus and bats. How does similarity helps in arriving at conclusion?
Because network of blood vessels in wings of bat perform ONLY one function - to disperse heat that is generated when they fly. There is no other cause (bats flapping wings) that lead to effect (generation of heat)

So basically author tries to use evidence of similar networks of blood vessels in bats and Sandactyus to conclude that Sandactyus flew by flapping its wings apart from gliding used to fly.

Quote:

Similarity of wings between birds and bats is not concern for me. As per argument, I am concerned with similar network of blood vessels between Sandactyus and bats.
This option is out.

Quote:
Knowledge of paleontologists is outside the scope of argument.

Quote:
Mechanisms - I am not sure what is the mechanism here and how will affect the conclusion of flying by flapping wings or by gliding.
Quote:

Totally irrelevent to the argument. The argument talks about bats and Sandactyus , not different types of bats and Sandactyus

Quote:
I am concerned with mechanism used by Sandactyus (flapping wings or gliding) for performing action of flying, not how OTHER WINGED DINOSAURS fly.

adkikani, thanks for the question and for explaining your thought process in detail!

Let's start with the hypothesis: "Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding."

• Did Sandactylus fly ONLY by gliding? According to this hypothesis, no. The "not just by gliding" part means that Sandactylus certainly may have incorporated gliding in its flight patterns. But, if this hypothesis is correct, then Sandactylus MUST have incorporated wing-flapping in its flight patterns.
  • This hypothesis does not exclude gliding. However, the hypothesis specifies that gliding would not have been the ONLY means of flying. According to this hypothesis, Sandactylus definitely flapped its wings while flying, but it's okay if there was some gliding in there too.
  • In other words, the hypothesis does NOT say that Sandactylus never used gliding. But it does say that Sandactylus used wing-flapping. Whether the wing-flapping was supplemented by gliding makes no difference to this hypothesis.

Now what are we trying to weaken here? The hypothesis? Not quite...

• The author's conclusion is not simply, "Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding." That's the hypothesis.
  • The conclusion is that the "paleontologists' recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis."
  • So the author's argument is not simply focused on how the Sandactylus flew. Instead, the author is trying to make the case that the recent discovery provides evidence for the hypothesis described above.

See the difference? It's very subtle, but extremely important. This is exactly what we are talking about in the "Improving your CR reading precision" section of the CR Guide for Beginners, which you're probably already very tired of reading. ;)

Are we trying to weaken the hypothesis? Not quite. Instead, we are trying to weaken the author's specific argument:

• Bats have networks of blood vessels in their wings, and those blood vessels disperse heat generated in flight.
  • "This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings." - This implies that if the bats did NOT flap their wings, then they would not generate the heat and thus would not need the blood vessels in their wings to disperse that heat.
  • Paleontologists' have recently discovered that Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in their wings.
  • According to the author, that discovery provides evidence for the hypothesis described above.

Bats only need the blood vessels because they flap their wings. But does that necessarily mean that similar blood vessels are evidence of wing-flapping? THAT is the argument we are trying to weaken.

Give that some thought, and see if it helps with your POE!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 10:09
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: CR 88
Page: 493

[/color]

Similar Question : LINK 1 LINK 2

(A) Sandactylus’ wings were far more similar to the wings of bats than to the wings of birds. Out of scope.

(B) Paleontologists do not know whether winged dinosaurs other than Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings. Out of scope

(C) The mechanism used by bats for dispersing heat in flight could, in principle, work for much larger flying creatures, such as Sandactylus. Strengthener. Out

(D) Not all the bats that use the mechanism described in the passage for dispersing heat in flight live in climates similar to the climate in which Sandactylus lived. Out of scope

(E) Other winged dinosaurs that flew only by gliding had networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings similar to those that Sandactylus had. Correct. Weakens the conclusion.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 10:09

Networks of blood vessels in bats’ wings serve only to disperse heat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap