Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Never Underestimate GMAT, that was my MISTAKE [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tims,

You're not the first person to underestimate what this whole study process entails, so you shouldn't feel too bad about that. You've faced the Official GMAT - and you can use that experience to help you better prepare for your next attempt. Raising a 450 to a 700+ will take significant effort though - and you'll have to make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. That work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study, so you might need more time than you've allotted.

1) What are the application deadlines for the PhD Programs that you're interested in?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for your encouragement, I am getting more confident when I also read about others who have scored pretty well after a miserable first attempt. Albeit, its also hard work. I have planned on going through all MGMAT Quant sections in Sept and spend Oct on Verbal. I am a graduate student and will be taking main courses as usual on campus but I will have to spend at east 3 hours a day, and all weekends on GMAT. Will take November for GMAT CATS and Preps for about two weeks and fine tune my performance. My next attempt is schedule for Nov 22nd. Application deadlines are Dec 1, and Dec 30.
I hope the time allocation is sound and will yield something better.

Tim
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Tims wrote:
So here is a short story. :grin: :grin: :grin:
I am a graduate student at a one of the best universities. Since it I am getting to my final year this fall, I got mixed feelings on whether I should enter the job market straight or apply for a phd. I sat with my professor to discuss the issue and to cut the long story short, we all agreed that I should apply for phd beginning Sept fall. So boom, there I was, I skimmed through some good universities and they had this GMAT requirement and I didn't bother to think it was something serious.

What I knew is that I had to write this Gmat and give the adcoms what they want. So I went on to register for a date without actually understanding what this exam was all about. I chose to write in three weeks. I was having dinner with a friend and he asked me what I was gonna do for the vacation, and I told him that well, I would write some high school sort of exam, they call it gmat. Surprisingly, he had taken the exam before. When he saw my confidence, he thought I was prepared so he didn't bother saying much but his look sort of said 'be careful'. We moved to another topic.

The more I spoke about gmat to my friends, the more they got worried because they knew I wasn't preparing, we were spending time together having fun. A girl who knew me well, dropped by and handed me OG12. I opened it and attempted first 100 questions. I began to feel something was wrong, it was never what I thought it to be. Suddenly depression and stress hit me hard, I had few days remaining....less than 15 days. I didn't know where to start. I began to learn of sections such as SC, CR, and they got hard every time I attempted. I had no rules, and I felt like the exam isn't really testing language, there are some tricks to be pulled from somewhere. I looked up on internet and read about e-Gmat I signed up but I felt listening to videos was taking time which I did not have. The thought of rescheduling the exam never came to me until 3 days before the exam. I was in bed. I was sinking, I had tried to be everywhere on all sections, and that got me even more confused. In a week before the exam I took Gmat prep exam and scored 450. I was depressed, I had read where people said that score does not vary a lot with the actual score that people get in the exam. I lost all confidence and did almost nothing for the entire week. I saw failure coming, it had arrived. Pulling my score to a miracle one required more than a prayer.
D Day arrived, I was weak. And angry at myself at the same time. How could I have been this stupid. I went to the exam feeling like I was just going to pull a 400. I sat for the exam (two days ago, just recovering from the heartbreak) and scored exactly 450. I guessed most CR questions. I scored 4 in IR. I haven't told my professor yet (please don't tell him...will be a big embarrassment.

As you can see, I made huge mistakes. Often times we learn from those that have done so well but I felt I can share something that may help others in the future.

My mistakes
1. I UNDERMINED GMAT. I have learnt a lesson, the hard way. My program at university is heavily quantitative and I thought maths (calculus, optimisation, differentials ..add to the list) was my thing. I was wrong. The new conclusion is "Being good at maths does not mean you will get a high Q score, and being a native speaker does not mean you will get a good V score"
2. I did not take time to prepare. I jumped to questions without a clue on the tricks and concepts of all sections. GMAT sections are like an onion, they are peeled layer by layer.
3. I panicked and lost confidence. Well, for a person like me that would have been very difficult to avoid. I had no time, the more I understood GMAT, the more it became Mount Everest. And there I was, gasping for air. I choked.

4. I pressured myself, but it didn't work. Maybe If I had discovered that time was not on my side and focused on my weaknesses it might have been a bad score but much better than the one I got. I was overwhelmed, tried to absorb everything at one goal, I remember for a week after discovering that I was in big trouble, I overworked my mind doing questions in OG. It was not a successful strategy, I would get answers wrong and still not grasp the concepts well because I was tired.
5. I didn't even have a real target. I think this has been said by several people on the forum that a realistic target is key for preparation. I just wanted a high score but didn't invest time and effort to pull it. GMAT is really not a miracle exam, hard work, hard work and more hard work.

I might have left other weaknesses but these were the top observations I made when I sat down to rethink my strategy. I will be retaking GMAT again in November. I will give myself about two months. My focus is on building the basics, building accuracy and then speed. I don't know if you will advise soft copies but I have downloaded MGMAT full package and will skim through every text and I plan to spend some time on CR and SC, and also learning the ropes in DS (the questions looked easy but that was a dream). I chose MGMAT because after my encounter with this website (which I'm still learning to explore fully), it appears that most people recommend MGMAT and OG. I will use OG mostly for questions but not now. My target score is 700. I can get into a good phd programme with it. The other non GmAT part of the application I can handle with ease.

Its a long story. Lemme know what you guys think and recommend to me. Feel free to drop a comment, will read everything and take advice into consideration.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Hi Tims ,
GMAT is a standardized test - the patterns repeat and to improve from 450 to 700+ will take around 3 months of dedicated study.
- Manhattan guides provide a solid base for the fundamentals. Also, Veritas guides are good.
- If you need additional help on verbal, you should go for egmat course. It's SC is the one of the best in the market.
- Also, Empower GMAT is a decent course too .
- OG and GMAT Prep are essential for the prep . Also , stick to the GMAT Prep tests only . 2 of those tests can be downloaded for free from mbadotcom and you can buy 4 additional tests

Please read the below link for further details -

Hope this helps!! :-)

Hi,

Thank you for those recommendations. I have bought MGMAT all guides. I don't know if I should read other books other than MGMAT for building my GMAT stamina, or should I read Veritas too? My plan is to leave no stones unturned. I abandoned the idea of soft copies so I bought hard copies (they arrived today) but unfortunately they don't have CDs for CATs. I asked the store where I bought them and they told me that they sell CATs separately, and access is for a min time of a day, 3 days, etc. I will worry about that later. At least the books arrived.
I also read the link in your post and that's what I wanted exactly. If I had seen that link the day I registered for my first attempt, things would have been different. The author actually detailed all mistakes that I made, as if he had read my post ( haha).

Most appreciate your support,

Tim
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Never Underestimate GMAT, that was my MISTAKE [#permalink]
Tims wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Tims wrote:
So here is a short story. :grin: :grin: :grin:
I am a graduate student at a one of the best universities. Since it I am getting to my final year this fall, I got mixed feelings on whether I should enter the job market straight or apply for a phd. I sat with my professor to discuss the issue and to cut the long story short, we all agreed that I should apply for phd beginning Sept fall. So boom, there I was, I skimmed through some good universities and they had this GMAT requirement and I didn't bother to think it was something serious.

What I knew is that I had to write this Gmat and give the adcoms what they want. So I went on to register for a date without actually understanding what this exam was all about. I chose to write in three weeks. I was having dinner with a friend and he asked me what I was gonna do for the vacation, and I told him that well, I would write some high school sort of exam, they call it gmat. Surprisingly, he had taken the exam before. When he saw my confidence, he thought I was prepared so he didn't bother saying much but his look sort of said 'be careful'. We moved to another topic.

The more I spoke about gmat to my friends, the more they got worried because they knew I wasn't preparing, we were spending time together having fun. A girl who knew me well, dropped by and handed me OG12. I opened it and attempted first 100 questions. I began to feel something was wrong, it was never what I thought it to be. Suddenly depression and stress hit me hard, I had few days remaining....less than 15 days. I didn't know where to start. I began to learn of sections such as SC, CR, and they got hard every time I attempted. I had no rules, and I felt like the exam isn't really testing language, there are some tricks to be pulled from somewhere. I looked up on internet and read about e-Gmat I signed up but I felt listening to videos was taking time which I did not have. The thought of rescheduling the exam never came to me until 3 days before the exam. I was in bed. I was sinking, I had tried to be everywhere on all sections, and that got me even more confused. In a week before the exam I took Gmat prep exam and scored 450. I was depressed, I had read where people said that score does not vary a lot with the actual score that people get in the exam. I lost all confidence and did almost nothing for the entire week. I saw failure coming, it had arrived. Pulling my score to a miracle one required more than a prayer.
D Day arrived, I was weak. And angry at myself at the same time. How could I have been this stupid. I went to the exam feeling like I was just going to pull a 400. I sat for the exam (two days ago, just recovering from the heartbreak) and scored exactly 450. I guessed most CR questions. I scored 4 in IR. I haven't told my professor yet (please don't tell him...will be a big embarrassment.

As you can see, I made huge mistakes. Often times we learn from those that have done so well but I felt I can share something that may help others in the future.

My mistakes
1. I UNDERMINED GMAT. I have learnt a lesson, the hard way. My program at university is heavily quantitative and I thought maths (calculus, optimisation, differentials ..add to the list) was my thing. I was wrong. The new conclusion is "Being good at maths does not mean you will get a high Q score, and being a native speaker does not mean you will get a good V score"
2. I did not take time to prepare. I jumped to questions without a clue on the tricks and concepts of all sections. GMAT sections are like an onion, they are peeled layer by layer.
3. I panicked and lost confidence. Well, for a person like me that would have been very difficult to avoid. I had no time, the more I understood GMAT, the more it became Mount Everest. And there I was, gasping for air. I choked.

4. I pressured myself, but it didn't work. Maybe If I had discovered that time was not on my side and focused on my weaknesses it might have been a bad score but much better than the one I got. I was overwhelmed, tried to absorb everything at one goal, I remember for a week after discovering that I was in big trouble, I overworked my mind doing questions in OG. It was not a successful strategy, I would get answers wrong and still not grasp the concepts well because I was tired.
5. I didn't even have a real target. I think this has been said by several people on the forum that a realistic target is key for preparation. I just wanted a high score but didn't invest time and effort to pull it. GMAT is really not a miracle exam, hard work, hard work and more hard work.

I might have left other weaknesses but these were the top observations I made when I sat down to rethink my strategy. I will be retaking GMAT again in November. I will give myself about two months. My focus is on building the basics, building accuracy and then speed. I don't know if you will advise soft copies but I have downloaded MGMAT full package and will skim through every text and I plan to spend some time on CR and SC, and also learning the ropes in DS (the questions looked easy but that was a dream). I chose MGMAT because after my encounter with this website (which I'm still learning to explore fully), it appears that most people recommend MGMAT and OG. I will use OG mostly for questions but not now. My target score is 700. I can get into a good phd programme with it. The other non GmAT part of the application I can handle with ease.

Its a long story. Lemme know what you guys think and recommend to me. Feel free to drop a comment, will read everything and take advice into consideration.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Hi Tims ,
GMAT is a standardized test - the patterns repeat and to improve from 450 to 700+ will take around 3 months of dedicated study.
- Manhattan guides provide a solid base for the fundamentals. Also, Veritas guides are good.
- If you need additional help on verbal, you should go for egmat course. It's SC is the one of the best in the market.
- OG and GMAT Prep are essential for the prep . Also , stick to the GMAT Prep tests only . 2 of those tests can be downloaded for free from mbadotcom and you can buy 4 additional tests

Hope this helps!! :-)

Hi,

Thank you for those recommendations. I have bought MGMAT all guides. I don't know if I should read other books other than MGMAT for building my GMAT stamina, or should I read Veritas too? My plan is to leave no stones unturned. I abandoned the idea of soft copies so I bought hard copies (they arrived today) but unfortunately they don't have CDs for CATs. I asked the store where I bought them and they told me that they sell CATs separately, and access is for a min time of a day, 3 days, etc. I will worry about that later. At least the books arrived.
I also read the link in your post and that's what I wanted exactly. If I had seen that link the day I registered for my first attempt, things would have been different. The author actually detailed all mistakes that I made, as if he had read my post ( haha).

Tim

Hi Tims

I could actually resonate with your post, having spent some days like yours. However the only difference was : You appeared the actual test and I did not. I too underestimated GMAT. Someone told me "It tests basic English and basic mathematics". This was what spurred my indifference. I took a mock test and was shown reality...a meagre 580.

That was a year back though. Today I am a saner man, though still afraid to face the exam. If you ask me :

1. GMATclub....the biggest and most veritable source of everything GMAT. Be it Quant or Verbal. There is nothing related to Gmat that you wont find here. The question banks are too good.

2. Manhattan for sure. If you need to clean those cobwebs. The guys at Manhattan surely start at the basics. Sentence correction and Quant are the best parts of their book.

3. Powerscore CR Bible....This book is the mecca for anyone who needs to be enlightened in critical reasoning. I just loved the way they approach the subject. Precise and concise would be the best words to describe this book.

4. Take tons of mocks before your actual exam.....not to gauge yourself....but to develop that stamina to face 3 hrs of grueling computer staring.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors Tim. May you have success bestowed upon you.

P.S I do not know whether PhD courses need essays but as far as i know for the MBA programs, the admission process takes anywhere from 2-3 months. Be prepared according to that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Tims ,

Hope this helps!! :-)[/quote]

Hi,

Tim[/quote]

Hi Tims

I could actually resonate with your post, having spent some days like yours. However the only difference was : You appeared the actual test and I did not. I too underestimated GMAT. Someone told me "It tests basic English and basic mathematics". This was what spurred my indifference. I took a mock test and was shown reality...a meagre 580.

That was a year back though. Today I am a saner man, though still afraid to face the exam. If you ask me :

1. GMATclub....the biggest and most veritable source of everything GMAT. Be it Quant or Verbal. There is nothing related to Gmat that you wont find here. The question banks are too good.

2. Manhattan for sure. If you need to clean those cobwebs. The guys at Manhattan surely start at the basics. Sentence correction and Quant are the best parts of their book.

3. Powerscore CR Bible....This book is the mecca for anyone who needs to be enlightened in critical reasoning. I just loved the way they approach the subject. Precise and concise would be the best words to describe this book.

4. Take tons of mocks before your actual exam.....not to gauge yourself....but to develop that stamina to face 3 hrs of grueling computer staring.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors Tim. May you have success bestowed upon you.

P.S I do not know whether PhD courses need essays but as far as i know for the MBA programs, the admission process takes anywhere from 2-3 months. Be prepared according to that.[/quote]

Hi

I have downloaded Powerscore CR Bible. In the exam I guessed almost all CR questions because I didn't study that section. I will use The Powerscore extensively, I can't afford to make the same mistake this time.

PhD application process require an essay (statement of purpose/research plan) which focuses on testing research ability. If I can get GMAT done then 3/4 of the job is done.

As for mock exams, I plan to spend two weeks in Nov just on Mock Exams. I don't know if its enough. By end of Sept I will take a couple of Mocks on Maths to gauge my ability before moving to Verbal.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, it's getting me on my feet.

Tims
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tims,

Considering how relatively little studying you did for your first attempt, you will likely score better after this next phase of your studies (since you'll become more experienced with the question types, patterns, etc.). That having been said, raising your score 250+ points in the timeframe that you described will take a LOT of work - and you won't have time to 'experiment' with your studies. You need to be 'efficient' with your studies now and there are some issues with what you're planning.

To start, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. The 700+ score is approximately the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how they study or the number of times they take the GMAT). Second, you should NOT wait to take practice CATs until November. There are certain aspects of the GMAT that you can really only learn about (and properly train for) by taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (under realistic conditions) at REGULAR intervals. This means that you should plan to take a CAT every 1-2 weeks.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tims,

Considering how relatively little studying you did for your first attempt, you will likely score better after this next phase of your studies (since you'll become more experienced with the question types, patterns, etc.). That having been said, raising your score 250+ points in the timeframe that you described will take a LOT of work - and you won't have time to 'experiment' with your studies. You need to be 'efficient' with your studies now and there are some issues with what you're planning.

To start, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. The 700+ score is approximately the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how they study or the number of times they take the GMAT). Second, you should NOT wait to take practice CATs until November. There are certain aspects of the GMAT that you can really only learn about (and properly train for) by taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (under realistic conditions) at REGULAR intervals. This means that you should plan to take a CAT every 1-2 weeks.

Rich

Rich

Thank you. I am thinking about a balanced approach. I have read guide 1 and 2 of MGMAT, and going to the 3rd one. I think the challenge is in balancing 'book heavy' approach with CATs. Your reply just came on time. I will take CATs everytime I finish a guide and see how my score improves on finishing every guide. I like the 'out of the book' approach that you mentioned. If I will have more time, (now that I have resumed normal graduate courses for 2017 summer fall - coursework, thesis etc, time will be my challenge, I already feel it) I would like to try different materials including the ones on this forum.

Will keep fighting,

Many Thanks

Tims
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tims,

Since you've put in some recent study time, I suggest that you finish the current book that you're on, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT. Once you have that score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tims,

Since you've put in some recent study time, I suggest that you finish the current book that you're on, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT. Once you have that score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results.

Rich

Rich

Will do so. I am still squeezing in my GMAT daily study programme despite the pressure from graduate courses. I plan to take CATs, and will do so maybe this coming week. But I haven't started studying Verbal, so a full length including verbal will be a very row score in nature in verbal. I appreciate the advice, when I take CATs will post here.

Many thanks for following this post and offering thoughtful suggestions.

Tims
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts