GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Olin ($$$) or Foster ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.93
Olin ($$$) or Foster ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 03:39
I got an admit in Olin (full scholarship) and Foster (50% scholarship). Which school would be a better choice ?

I am looking to work in technology post MBA. I am an international and money is a consideration for me but that does not outweigh post MBA career potential.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 07:05
I would pick Olin. I don’t think Foster is any better (actually lower ranked).

Foster being in Seattle has a bit of an easier access to MS, Amazon, and other tech in the area but it is not like they get courted or anything. They have to work for it just like other school grads but they have a logistical advantage for Seattle. Not really Bay Area.

I don’t see any reservations about going to Olin with a full scholarship.

Congratulations!!!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2
Re: Olin ($$$) or Foster ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 22:32
bb having MSFT and Amazon in vicinity is a great advantage for Foster over Olin, right? I talked to an admission officer from Olin this year and I don't think Olin places as many students in Tech as Foster does by a long shot. If rankings are ignored for a minute, does not Foster finish ahead?

How ZenYogi got from 640 to 760

Trust yourself, you must

Your Kudos, I appreciate

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 07:50
ZenYogi wrote:
bb having MSFT and Amazon in vicinity is a great advantage for Foster over Olin, right? I talked to an admission officer from Olin this year and I don't think Olin places as many students in Tech as Foster does by a long shot. If rankings are ignored for a minute, does not Foster finish ahead?

Part of the reason Foster places people in tech is that many people from Tech apply there (e.g. people who have worked at MS and Amazon).
I don't know if Amazon or MS or FB or Google come on campus to Olin. A few of them may in Seattle since it is so close but I would ask the adcom to be sure.

Founder of GMAT Club

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 08:03
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 08:24
ZenYogi wrote:

I don't agree with previous answers and i don't know what data their answers are based on. i researched this very carefully as I want to go to tech product management. and I am not from tech background. I talked to many alums and current students at Foster. choose Foster without a doubt if you only choose between Foster and Olin. Olin is not indexed on tech all that much. look at industry seminar speakers for its prod mgmt specializations - none of digital tech giants are even on the list of speakers. its a definite confirmation that Olin is not so well positioned to place people to Amazon, Microsoft etc. its location plays against your goals in this respect as well.
its a great school and very respected, no doubt, but Foster is the place for you goals. all students and alums i talked to made it to Amazon. When looking on Linked in i couldn't find a single recent Olin mba alum working at Amazon. hope this helps.
and by the way do not believe rankings too much. I spoke to a person who gave up kelogg offer for Foster and he is happy as hell, also working at Amazon now. he said that a lot of faculty in Foster come from top top schools, and also the atmosphere in general is really nice. i am sure you would love it.
I'd definitely go to Foster if i wasn't accepted to UT with larger scholarship. i was also accepted to Olin with full schol but having offers from Foster and UT i am not even considering it.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 23:32
mrsonmax wrote:
ZenYogi wrote:

I don't agree with previous answers and i don't know what data their answers are based on. i researched this very carefully as I want to go to tech product management. and I am not from tech background. I talked to many alums and current students at Foster. choose Foster without a doubt if you only choose between Foster and Olin. Olin is not indexed on tech all that much. look at industry seminar speakers for its prod mgmt specializations - none of digital tech giants are even on the list of speakers. its a definite confirmation that Olin is not so well positioned to place people to Amazon, Microsoft etc. its location plays against your goals in this respect as well.
its a great school and very respected, no doubt, but Foster is the place for you goals. all students and alums i talked to made it to Amazon. When looking on Linked in i couldn't find a single recent Olin mba alum working at Amazon. hope this helps.
and by the way do not believe rankings too much. I spoke to a person who gave up kelogg offer for Foster and he is happy as hell, also working at Amazon now. he said that a lot of faculty in Foster come from top top schools, and also the atmosphere in general is really nice. i am sure you would love it.
I'd definitely go to Foster if i wasn't accepted to UT with larger scholarship. i was also accepted to Olin with full schol but having offers from Foster and UT i am not even considering it.

Keep in mind that being from non tech background you will need to do something to demonstrate your capability. Few employers want to hire a person for mid level management who has not worked in the industry. Why would they hire someone from Foster with chemistry background for example while they can get someone from the same Program or UT who has worked in tech? (Finance and Marketing can be more portable in many cases - these are complimenting industries as well as project management)

This does not mean you are doomed but you need a Tech Internship (and work hard to get it) and you need to demonstrate your ability/capacity to succeed in that area and make your experience/accomplishments relevant. Networking will be big. Keep in mind that you are competing with your classmates for jobs.... also, Tech is growing huge in Seattle due to Amz, MS, FB, Google, etc, so even if you get a janitorial job, it would be in a tech company. Things can be decieving - you won't get a job just because you went to Foster while there are other more qualified people applying so you need an edge - better interview, better resume, a personal recommendation, etc. You get the idea.

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 01:38
bb wrote:
you won't get a job just because you went to Foster while there are other more qualified people applying so you need an edge - better interview, better resume, a personal recommendation, etc. You get the idea.

(Emphasis mine.)

This x 1000

So many times I see people on this forum who seem to think that the school they choose will be the deciding factor in what options they will have after graduation. I see people take on obscene amounts of debt to needlessly attend schools that USNWR ranks a few spots ahead of other options (as an example) for no good reason other than chasing prestige and presuming that will give them a big leg up.

The truth is, the vast majority of what people get out of their MBA has to do with what they put into it, what skills they have (or develop), and how they perform in interviews/on the recruiting trail. Sure, some employers only do on-campus recruiting at certain programs because of their lay prestige, size, or geographical placement, and if you're targeting one of those employers specifically, then yes, it may be wise to pursue your education at one of those schools. I wouldn't ever directly link the outcome you expect (read: hope for) to be based on the school you choose though. *Wherever you go to school, landing the offer will be on you, it won't be based on the school name you have on your resume.*

That all said, Foster may the right option in this scenario since OP seems to be dead-set on Tech.

popin7, you should really try and negotiate with Foster. You have a full-ride to one of their peer schools that is actually ranked higher than they are. See if you can get them to cough up more money. That may make this decision easier. (I don't think you can go wrong with a full-ride to a top 20 school though if Foster won't budge.)

In any case, good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.93

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 01:52
I am an international student and I am not sure about the H1B visa so I wanted to work for a company in which I can get an internal transfer to India if my visa situation does not work out. My rationale behind Foster was that half of the class went to work for tech companies I am interested in. I am looking to work with Microsoft, Amazon or Google. I was wondering if interviewing on campus with these companies in Foster will give me a better chance than interviewing off campus studying in Olin. I will be looking at negotiating my Foster scholarship but I read somewhere as a matter of policy they do not offer full scholarships and rather distribute the scholarship fund among more students.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 02:18
bb wrote:
mrsonmax wrote:
ZenYogi wrote:

Keep in mind that being from non tech background you will need to do something to demonstrate your capability. Few employers want to hire a person for mid level management who has not worked in the industry. Why would they hire someone from Foster with chemistry background for example while they can get someone from the same Program or UT who has worked in tech? (Finance and Marketing can be more portable in many cases - these are complimenting industries as well as project management)

This does not mean you are doomed but you need a Tech Internship (and work hard to get it) and you need to demonstrate your ability/capacity to succeed in that area and make your experience/accomplishments relevant. Networking will be big. Keep in mind that you are competing with your classmates for jobs.... also, Tech is growing huge in Seattle due to Amz, MS, FB, Google, etc, so even if you get a janitorial job, it would be in a tech company. Things can be decieving - you won't get a job just because you went to Foster while there are other more qualified people applying so you need an edge - better interview, better resume, a personal recommendation, etc. You get the idea.

BB, you are def right that jobs and internships never just fall on your head by themselves =)) i didn't mean that in any way of course. jobs are competitive independely from schools . and you have to really prepare well and know what's required for job, and build proper skills which ever way you can. All i am saying is that Foster still gets you into tech faster than Olin with all other factors being equal.
and about tech background - maybe we are talking about different roles here. I was talking only about prod mgmt, namely position of non-technical market-facing product manager in tech, because that's what i research. of course if you aim for technical pm it becomes crucial. but as for nontechnical pms, i talked to at least 20 people who didn't have any tech background whatsoever. like totally none. but even if technical background is required for other roles and suppose you don't have it, you can always build it up outside of your mba with programming online courses and other activities. so it is a matter of knowing what precisely is required for your role.

and also one other thing for people to consider. in case of Amazon (i know just about Amazon) it sponsors H1B for people coming only from certain schools. For other schools it just doesn't sponsor H1B , and its not even about ranking. I know that for a lot of east coast schools it doen't sponsor. I know this for a fact. the list of schools is not public of course and it might change but still some information to consider. And i do know that in case of Foster it does sponsor H1B.
In case of Olin - i didn't get any confirmations of that.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 12:27
Okay, hold up.
You should not choose a school because of the US News ranking.
Foster admitted 23.9% of applicants last year versus 29.7% at Olin.
Foster's average GMAT was 691 versus Olin's which was 688.
Foster's average salary was $133k versus Olin's which was $115k.
Foster's employment at graduation is 85% versus Olin's which is 79%.
Also Foster puts 40% into tech versus 12% at Olin.

The school choice at even money is a no-brainer, and I don't think it's as clear cut as people here are making it sound.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 12:31
indecisive wrote:
Okay, hold up.

The school choice at even money is a no-brainer, and I don't think it's as clear cut as people here are making it sound.

just an update for those interested in Olin. i talked to a first year student today and he totally confirmed that the school does not have strong relations with tech companies. so he said that when looking for tech jobs you are all on your own. he also said that new Dean came in who will be working on changing things, including beefing up relations with tech. but things like this take time of course.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 11:34
mrsonmax wrote:
indecisive wrote:
Okay, hold up.

just an update for those interested in Olin. i talked to a first year student today and he totally confirmed that the school does not have strong relations with tech companies. so he said that when looking for tech jobs you are all on your own. he also said that new Dean came in who will be working on changing things, including beefing up relations with tech. but things like this take time of course.

Any reason you're not choosing Mccombs? Clearly a tier above the rest of the schools.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 11:41
GlengarryRoss wrote:
mrsonmax wrote:
indecisive wrote:
Okay, hold up.

Any reason you're not choosing Mccombs? Clearly a tier above the rest of the schools.

Oh I am, absolutely :cool: its not even about ranking, just a great school with great atmosphere, and also great for pm in tech
Re: Olin ($$$) or Foster ($$) &nbs [#permalink] 25 Dec 2017, 11:41

Olin ($$$) or Foster ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap