Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: What to do 30-14-7-3-1 Days before the gmat [#permalink]
Thank you bb !! This helps a lot !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

What to do 30-14-7-3-1 Days before the test

A collection of tips how to maximize your score and avoid score-dropping mistakes.
Keep in mind, these tips alone are not enough to give you a high GMAT score – you need to have a clear study plan, measurable results, and books or courses to study/review. This thread may add some points to your final score but most importantly, it is designed to prevent you from losing points. Some of these tips are more useful than others – feel free to skip around, and most importantly – we are all different; what works for others, may not work for you.

What to do at 30 days

• Book your appointment or at least check availability in your area. Note that some seasons/areas are in high demand and may be booked out months in advance. This was the case with me and I had to take an overnight trip to take the GMAT.
  • At this time you should be within 60 points of your target score. E.g. if you are aiming for 700, you should be scoring 640 or above. If you are still 100 points below (unless you are taking an intensive course or intensive self study plan), you should seriously looking into 1) rescheduling; 2) finding the reason for being off-target
  • What gmat club members wish they had known about the test

14 days

• Last day to reschedule the test without a penalty
  • You should have finished covering all of the material or your course work
  • If you have not already, this is a good time to start coming up with check-lists, items to memorize, and so on (some examples are here: Arithmetic to memorize; SC checklist by Whiplash)
  • At this point you should plan on taking 2 – 3 full length tests per week to polish your test-taking skills and stamina. Spend most of your time reviewing, refreshing, and doing test/mistake analysis to spot areas that need to be polished
  • Make sure you are familiar with the noteboard and how the marker works on the GMAT. You can get a set from here: https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Si ... r-mr-title
  • You should be within 40 points of your target score; if you are more than 80, you need to reschedule

7 days

• Point of no return – if you cancel after today, you will NOT get any credit and your test fee will be wasted. There are very few reasons why you should reschedule your test after this point in time.

3 days

• Familiarize yourself with the environment – video and list of rules/prohibited items (very important – you don’t want to visit your locker during the break and pull out notes/phone/etc). Your test will be canceled as the result.
  • Consider a visit if that’s a part of town you never visited – find a good place to celebrate afterwards – you deserve it regardless of the score (and you will be starved at the end). Spot a starbucks if you need it before the test center
Superficial Things:
  • Food for the test center – there is a whole discussion on this as well but the bottom line is – play safe and use familiar snacks. Don’t drink energy drinks if you usually don’t drink them.

1 Days (24 hours before the test)

• If possible, the last day before the test, should be a copy of your test day experience (wake up at the same time you would for the test, eat what you would, wear the same clothes, etc).
  • Take the test at the same time as your appointment – try to take a GMAT prep if you have one left. If not, take whatever test is available. Make sure it is a full IR/AWA drill with breaks/etc.
  • After you finish, do a brief review (don’t agonize too much) and have a healthy meal. Spend the rest of the day relaxing and doing something that would be relaxing for you and keep your mind off the test.
  • It is OK to bring a few flashcards for the last set of concepts/check lists/etc for the test and glance at them/study as you go around your day but no heavy studying should be done now. For one it is too late, and two, you have a risk of not performing at the peak on the day of.
  • Athletes train and force their bodies to adapt to the training schedule and their bodies start expecting to provide a certain level of output. Then before the competition, they take it easier for a day or two to get the most of mental and physical output when it counts. Make sure the test day is your best day, not your recovery day. If you run or exercise in the mornings, don’t do the double-doze even though you may feel absolutely up for it. It will wipe you out.

The BIG Day:

• Do not arrive super early – mistake many make (more than an hour in advance (half an hour is the best to give you time for unpredictable) – you won’t be able to take the test earlier and will only spend time waiting and stressing out. If your appointment is in the morning, you will have more time to sleep and rest.
  • Do not stress out if you have not been able to fall asleep at the time like you usually do. It is a big day and most people get less sleep. Do not stress out about that. Everyone does it. That’s why it is helpful to schedule a test at least 30 days before the deadline so you can retake if you need to (not that you should plan on retaking but this should take some stress away). If you are a procrastinator and know that you won’t be motivated enough if you have a secondary date then you may want to use an opposite strategy.
  • Don't screw up - know the rules! 8-things-not-to-do-at-the-test-center-120625.html
  • Good luck!

Other Related and Helpful Posts:

1. what-to-do-for-the-last-14-days-before-the-real-test-120895.html
2. test-day-warm-up-78595.html

-------------------------------------------------
P.S. This is still being improved and edited. if you have suggestions, please PM me. Thank you!
Attachment:
deadline-gmat.jpg

Here's a little post I wrote
You might want to read it word for word
Don't worry, be happy
In every test we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

Oo, oo-oo-oo, oo-oo-oo, oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Be happy
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no place to lay your books
Somebody came and took your desk
Don't worry, be happy
The error log say your performance is bad
You may have to reschedule
Don't worry, be happy
Look at me, I'm happy

Don't worry
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Be happy
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry, be happy

Now there, is this post I wrote
I hope you learned it word for word
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your test expect some errors
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy, be happy now

Don't worry
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Be happy
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Don't worry, be happy
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q14 V36
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 610 Q36 V38
GMAT 4: 570 Q29 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE:Account Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Wish I read this before, I totally found myself rescheduling after the period of time I should have. Was incredibly helpful in planning out this next attempt!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello all,

I have been preparing for the exam for almost 8 months now. It has been on and off, juggling it along with certain other commitments. I am at 630-660 right now and want to schedule the test date and be done with it. My target score is 720+. How many days out should I schedule it for? I have two test dates in mind: one is in 3 weeks or the other which is in 4 weeks. I need a test date to create deadline pressure in order to make the jump to 700+ score. How many days should I give myself at this point given that I don't want to drag it too much nor do I want to give it prematurely.

Thanks in advance!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72903 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
EthosGMAT wrote:
Hello all,

I have been preparing for the exam for almost 8 months now. It has been on and off, juggling it along with certain other commitments. I am at 630-660 right now and want to schedule the test date and be done with it. My target score is 720+. How many days out should I schedule it for? I have two test dates in mind: one is in 3 weeks or the other which is in 4 weeks. I need a test date to create deadline pressure in order to make the jump to 700+ score. How many days should I give myself at this point given that I don't want to drag it too much nor do I want to give it prematurely.

Thanks in advance!

Does a week really matter?
If you have spent 240 days, why worry about 7? that's less than 3% ... if you feel that after 240 days you will magically skyrocket by 40 points in the last 7, I have some brutal ugly reality to introduce you to. The last few weeks is getting your stuff together - polishing and choreographing taking full tests and not throwing up after Quant. Things like timing, getting checklists, polishing strategies, and keeping your learnings fresh. You are not learning a whole lot and this is a plateau time for most. The best of us were able to squeeze additional 10-20 points by streamlining things, but I don't think anyone who prepared for more than 2 months, has been able to see their major gains in the last few weeks.

P.S. My concern is that having stretched your prep so long, you have lost track of what you covered and forgot a lot of the fine details and neuances required for a 700+ score. What you also did is stretched the unpleasant experience for so long that my guess is you are drained when you think about GMAT but to succeed you must respect it, be interested in it, and be energized by it. If you are not at 700 at this point in time, it is going to be really hard to walk out with 720+ on the test day, be it 3 weeks or 4. You need to kick your ass in a gear and spend 2 months in an intensive review of all concepts from day 1 (especially day 1 since it was 240 days ago - keep things fresh, be methodical and hardcore. Review often, review everything and keep it all up there).

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BB,

While I appreciate your quick response and analysis. I find your pessimistic reply rather discouraging. Yes, I spent few months over this but that is not to say I spent exactly 240 days on it and couldn't get the score high enough so will not be able to get it high enough in the next few weeks. Yes, you are right that I am drained as it got dragged so long but that is also coz other things in life came in the way (like for a lot of people who eventually scored 700+). That doesn't necessarily mean its game over. One important part about this exam is learning how it works. For some of us, the GMAT journey took longer than others. I don't wish to or plan to spend another 2 months on this. I don't expect some magical skyrocketing to occur. I am ready to work for it. I simply asked based on your original 30 day-60 point rule, how many more days should I give myself. I only need a strategic plan for the next few weeks.

I really wish I was offered a more positive and encouraging reply.
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
EthosGMAT wrote:
BB,

While I appreciate your quick response and analysis. I find your pessimistic reply rather discouraging. Yes, I spent few months over this but that is not to say I spent exactly 240 days on it and couldn't get the score high enough so will not be able to get it high enough in the next few weeks. Yes, you are right that I am drained as it got dragged so long but that is also coz other things in life came in the way (like for a lot of people who eventually scored 700+). That doesn't necessarily mean its game over. One important part about this exam is learning how it works. For some of us, the GMAT journey took longer than others. I don't wish to or plan to spend another 2 months on this. I don't expect some magical skyrocketing to occur. I am ready to work for it. I simply asked based on your original 30 day-60 point rule, how many more days should I give myself. I only need a strategic plan for the next few weeks.

I really wish I was offered a more positive and encouraging reply.

Dear EthosGMAT,

Even I felt the same when people told me things won't work in 2-3 weeks. But we need to accept the reality behind the Gmat exam. Things won't work out with pure hardwork here. you need to train your mind to accept few Strategies. Gmat is more about logic than hard work.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Smartguy,

Yes, I have figured that much about the GMAT having been in it for 8 months now. Again, I am not looking for some magic in 2-3 weeks. I clearly stated 3-4 weeks. Even if I were preparing for the last two months straight in a regular case and been at my current score range. I would have had 4 weeks until I got to the 700 level right? I don't think my prep would be any different than what it is right now due to other interfering life commitments.
Anyway, thanks for replying. Guess, I should have not posted anything here and kept to myself. I was under the impression, this forum usually gives encouraging responses to people (except in few cases) and that was not the case for me here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Everyone has an individual style of test taking. If you went to college in the US, you have been through standardized exams before. If you were successful with your previous standardized exams, simply employ similar strategies for the GMAT as you did for the other ones.

Taking a full-length, timed practice exam the day before the official exam has never worked out for me. Taking a practice exam 2 days before G-day always did, however. I have friends that took practice exams the day before and were successful with this strategy. To each his own. Figure out what works for you individually.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Awesome! I'll make sure to print it out and hang on the wall :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Great post! Like said above I would register before you start doing this plan. But, why the same clothes and same everything the day before the test?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72903 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Austen2442 wrote:
Great post! Like said above I would register before you start doing this plan. But, why the same clothes and same everything the day before the test?

Probably a bit hardcore to wear the same clothes (definitely diff socks and undies) but make sure you don't wear some new shirt that has an itchy tag or something that bothers you - make sure you are comfortable, dressed in layers (it is often cold in a test center as there is AC blasting and you are low on sugar/energy) but sometimes it is hot and you want to be able to unbutton your shirt/fleece/etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1423 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Has anyone given a GMATPrep test the day before their exam? I am curious as to how their experience was. I think that giving the test will help me, but just wanted to get an idea of how the experience was for someone who has done it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I really like those types of techniques!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hey BB,

I have my GMAT coming up on 10th Sep and I have taken leave for office from 03Sep to 10 Sep. I have already taken 3 Mock GMATPrep tests and i have 3 new ones to be taken. Do you think it would be better to hold off these until the last week and take 1 every other day until 1 day before the g-Day? Also what is the rationale behind taking a GMATprep exam 1 day before the test day? Wouldn't it be tiring and prevent spending that day to do targeted practice for revision purposes?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
What about diet and exercise regime? Does all these help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
my exam is on 11 nov i.e after 15 days and i am scoring 620-600 in manhatten mocks. My target score is 680. Should i reschedule the exam? Any advice what i can do in last 15 days to maximize my score
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3