Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 23:41 It is currently 12 May 2024, 23:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 3: 610 Q46 V27
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Top 1% GMAT by Sandeep Gupta [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Umair,

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Before anyone here can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Bookmarks
Maria Antony wrote:
I would strongly recommend that you opt in for courses such as GMAT club tests(Quants), e-GMAT (Verbal), Education Aisle (Verbal), Empower GMAT (Quant & Verbal). I have personally used all of them and they are really good.

Hello Maria, I am just about starting to prepare for GMAT and this list helps a lot.

Since I am not in a position to try all multiple options, is there any "preference" within this list as well that you would recommend? Or are all of them equally good?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 3: 610 Q46 V27
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Nived wrote:
Maria Antony wrote:
I would strongly recommend that you opt in for courses such as GMAT club tests(Quants), e-GMAT (Verbal), Education Aisle (Verbal), Empower GMAT (Quant & Verbal). I have personally used all of them and they are really good.

Hello Maria, I am just about starting to prepare for GMAT and this list helps a lot.

Since I am not in a position to try all multiple options, is there any "preference" within this list as well that you would recommend? Or are all of them equally good?

If you are a non native go for E-GMAT (Verbal Online or Verbal Live) and GMAT CLUB TESTS.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [2]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Top 1% GMAT by Sandeep Gupta [#permalink]
Kudos
Here is what I have heard ->
HE IS A CON!
HE IS A CHARLATAN!
HE FORGED DOCUMENTS!
HE MISREPRESENTED HIS GMAT!

I don't know if those things are true.But there are a heck lot of candidates that are saying its true.
Plus everyone tells me that his New Delhi centre is so bad that you end up studying on your own!

Why the risk?

Go pro! Go online!
You atleast know that you would get quality material.

Best
Stone Cold
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1998 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
umairsiddiki wrote:
Hi All, Can anybody tell me your opinion about the Top 1% gmat coaching by Sandeep Gupta. I have heard alot about the mis-representation about his GMAT 800 score. But keeping that thing aside, does his coaching really helps in getting good score? I have seen some videos and also gone through some of his material, doesn't seem that much bad to me. Anybody has any personal experience regarding his way of teaching or method followed as compared to other tutors out there like e-gmat, Economist GMAT etc please do share with me. Thanks

Confused
Umair

Hi
I do not have personal experience with Top 1% gmat but I have seen some bad reviews online. So, IMO better to not take risk and enroll for something that is proven and has good reviews since you will end up spending around 20k in any course so better utilize it properly. E-gmat, Economist Gmat, Empower Gmat have very good reviews and you can try them. But always take a free trial before enrolling for any course to check if you are comfortable with the mode of teaching etc.
Hope it helps.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2424 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hey, umairsiddiki. Yes, there are far too many shady characters in the GMAT prep world, which is why I have verified my personal GMAT and GRE scores are on GMAT Club.

See the lower left corner of my profile (desktop mode only) to confirm my personal GMAT scores, and check out this link for an example of a private student of mine who truly did score in the top 1% (you will notice that his score is also GMAT Club verified). I am also a Harvard graduate (class of '02) magna cum laude — and can prove that, too.

If you need someone more affordable, then no problem — I understand. Instead, check out my list of 7 Important Questions to Ask Your Prospective GMAT Tutor.

Happy studies,
Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 16 Dec 2017, 11:12.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 12 May 2022, 19:00, edited 8 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
Kudos
Hey this fake institute top one percent i enrolled for coaching at their Delhi center.

1. They only take cash for fee payment which for some people they charge $200 for same batch, $300, $400, $500, $600 and so on..they have no fixed fee. They charged me rip off fee of $500 to be paid in cash.

2. They have downloaded content from gmatclub and re branded it as their own, taking credit for hard work of other.

3. I wrote negative review on their fake paid reviews by google, they started calling and harassing me. They then offered me $150 to remove my negative review to which i refused. I still want my fee refund from these fraudster and wasted my time on top of it.

4. They absolutely have no clue or have any content on current GMAT !

5. Ask them or any other institute for last 15 days record of students taking gmat score with official GMAT registration. TOP one percent can never provide it because they are just fake and have students who are able to clear the exam because of their useless study approach of just sending downloaded material of others.

6. They don't provide no classes on AWS or IR only a single video link to watch from ytoube. Which does not help at all.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
lol this is serious stuff cantaffordname you were bang on with it !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Kudos
I have used two of the famous courses listed above (not 1%),but Manhattan prep books are the ones you should go for if you plan to self study.They are extremely good compared to any other prep company can give you.Spend some good time on them and then appear.Rest are just sheer marketing-you will see a few names appear quite often-you will know.
I know it's also 'to each it's own', but start with a couple books of Manhattan if you feel you can't buy the entire bundle.You eventually might.
GMAT club quant tests are quite helpful too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [15]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Some of the truth about this guy. Sandeep Gupta, top 1% class.

He used to claim about getting Stanford admit, so someone has emailed them, then he removed that claim from all his advertising. ref image https://i.imgur.com/EsvVdRo.png

In the late 90s he started his career by teaching CAT at a small time institute in Bhopal. He was earning perhaps 10-20K per month. He was a nobody. But what was impressive was his ability to memorise word meanings and do some random mental maths. A famous incident was about how a girl's parent walked into his class and slapped him in front of everyone for having an affair with the girl. This was told to me last year by his then-student in Bhopal who I got to know in Bangalore.

In early 2000s, he switched to another CAT coaching company briefly before joining a company based out of Delhi where he got to the GMAT/GRE side of the world. Over here he was notorious for having relations with his students. Again this was known to all including the CEO - he was warned but somehow tolerated as he was a good teacher. This was told to me by this company's senior director who has been with them for over 15years.

Around 2008 he pulled a fast one - he went to a competitor and told I will not only teach but also get you students. He not only made the competitor's founder sit in his class as a demo student but also gave her the entire database. This and other irregularities (affair with students) led them to throw him out. Not sure why/how but things did not work out even with the competitor. This was told to me by his colleague in that company.

In 2009 he started his own company and sent an email making preposterous claims. This is a mail dated 27-May-2009 (still have it in my inbox). I was forwarded this email by a friend. This is when I heard his name for the first time. Most of his claims have remained but here is another thing he has put in that email: "GMAT Score of 800 (perfect score) with an essay grade of 6 ... earlier scores: 790, 780, 780 (score report attached). I am the second person to get the perfect score in India (12 years back, an Indian got 800 in the paper-and-pencil format of the GMAT)”

In 2010, he then approached a Bangalore CAT company famous for its large front-page TOI ad for a partnership (I will run your GMAT business) and asked them to put out an expensive TOI ad where his name would be prominently told. After the ad was launched (even had a legal agreement with them) he asked them for the email ids of the people who registered through the ad. Unsuspectingly they gave him the database. He simply mailed them 2 days before the course start date and said I am running my own place where I will teach better and charge less. The CAT company (now very famous in Bangalore and into 10th-12th coaching as well) didn’t know what to do and decided to cut losses & pull away. This was personally told to me by the founder of the CAT coaching company - under whose name the company runs.

From 2011 to 2013 he started putting his own quarter page ads in Bangalore TOI spending lakhs, filled up an auditorium of students, impressed them with his claims and got his ROI. He quickly had Bangalore's largest GMAT classes. He even did this for GRE but decided not to continue as the ROI wasn't as much there (maybe working people taking the GMAT are more trusting as opposed to smartypants college students taking the GRE :)). I know this because I was following him during this time and would find his ads very amusing for the claims they made.

GMAC were furious - not only were his ads scammy (claims of having scored 800) but he also started giving pdfs of OG on his blog. In these ads he also claimed some 400+ students with scores above 760 on the GMAT. The company he worked for earlier put pressure on GMAC. GMAC in turn took it up with TOI Delhi & threatened legal case against TOI for carrying such ads. The Chief Editor in TOI assured them that TOI will blacklist this company and henceforth there would be no ads. The same was informed to the sales staff at TOI Bangalore. He then went to TOI Goa and made the TOI sales guy there put an ad in the Bangalore edition (billed in Goa but to be displayed in Bangalore). This time GMAC again went to TOI and TOI made sure that his ads would never come in any of their editions. Because of this he had to finally changed the name of his company to the current one and also tone down his claims in print ads. This was told to me by the GMAC representative who was working on this case with TOI.

A very reputed US based firm was also exploring legal options when they realised that he simply ripped their material, put it on his blog and started claiming they were genuine GMAT questions (this is the 700-800 document). But they realised how feeble copyright laws were in India and dropped it completely. This was told to me by an instructor of the said American company (who btw HAS a real 800 on the GMAT - anyone preparing for the GMAT perhaps know his name as he has been active on forums such as BTG for many years).

Cut to 2014 - Somewhere along the way he realised he could rake in more moolah by BS-ing (he essentially puts forth points gleamed from various management books as his own). He started a venture in 2012 (something similarly named - top1% or something but I forget) but it failed. Post that he underwent training with a famous public speaker called Andy Harrington. He has a scribd document claiming to get paid $25,000 per hour from the CEO for a Fortune 500 company for his “advice”. You can google for this document - pretty funny.

Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments ... rreacting/
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73168 [1]
Given Kudos: 18948
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow. He seems to have made an impression on you :lol:

Posted from my mobile device
Kudos
umairsiddiki wrote:
Hi All, Can anybody tell me your opinion about the Top 1% gmat coaching by Sandeep Gupta. I have heard alot about the mis-representation about his GMAT 800 score. But keeping that thing aside, does his coaching really helps in getting good score? I have seen some videos and also gone through some of his material, doesn't seem that much bad to me. Anybody has any personal experience regarding his way of teaching or method followed as compared to other tutors out there like e-gmat, Economist GMAT etc please do share with me. Thanks

Confused
Umair

One of my India friends took a free class of top 1% by Sandeep Gupta in Delhi 1 week back. According to him, their teaching way is not good. He said to me that Sandeep Sir don't take class himself.

According to me:
I studied/watched Sandeep Sir's on-demand videos. He is too much meritorious to me. His RC and CR is good enough. You may watch some videos from youtube.
Here you go for watching some videos, which are taught by Sandeep Sir.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... prehension

Does it help?
Thanks__
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
:lol: :lol:
I am enjoying this post. Keep sharing ;)

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1827 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I

Originally posted by unraveled on 31 Dec 2019, 10:43.
Last edited by unraveled on 12 Apr 2020, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [2]
Given Kudos: 138
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Sandeep's teaching style is perfectly fine. I've studied his 700 level questions (specially for quant part). They're helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
They sent my friend a notice from their lawyer to remove his google review after he left them 1 star review for the sheer disappointment at their rudimentary teaching and miss use of other companies and individual users copyrighted material. (This is what happens if one enrolls and has their data with top one percent and gives them 1star review)

They run a fake google reviews racket, they have misused google review system by adding 125/130 fake 5 star reviews from fake bots, if these people at top one percent actually put so much effort in teaching GMAT course properly they would not have to resort to such things in 1st place. if anyone knows should report this to google the fake reviews they keep posting of them selves with 5 stars !

and here is another update, their main Quants teacher Vinay has left and its being currently being taught by a newbie.

if anyone opens the cache of their website one can see it has been edited, after a negative review was posted on them, there was no mention of info earlier that sandeep teaches in bangalore center only.

https://imgur.com/a/lhUV1j1

In fact current info that i have got says that sandeep left teaching long time back and is no longer teaching anywhere !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [4]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello All!

Top 1% GMAT is abysmal. They charge around INR 39500 and trust me it is not even worth INR 1.
Please see below the pros and cons of this particular coaching:
Pros - NONE!!!

Cons -

1. They have copied the material from every place possible and rebranded as their own.
2. They email the handouts and the answer sheets and student is expected to sit and do questions and then map it from a different sheet and this when I paid INR 39500. I mean this caveman method reminded me of IIT coaching centres back in 2009. It's a colossal waste of time to be honest.
3. Quant Faculty - He does not know how to teach at all. AT ALL!!
4. Verbal Faculty - Mr. Manan is decent. That's about it.
5. They only care about getting the money and nothing else. Ms. Mahi (the co-ordinator) is extremely rude and unprofessional.
6. They promised 10 mocks and I believed I will get CATs but guess what, they gave some scanned versions of mocks and expected students to sit and do all the mocks manually and then check the same.
7. Manhattan Guides and other free material available on the internet is provided in the name of "Top 1% Reading Material" for which you pay 39500.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2