Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 19:38 It is currently 22 May 2024, 19:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V39
Send PM
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
mgcon wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian, Male - 24 years old
Undergrad Information: MIT, Manipal - Mechanical Engineer, although I have always worked in Business roles
GMAT: 690 (Q48 V37 IR7 AWA6)
Work experience and leadership:

3 years work experience as of September 2017, currently working as a Growth Hacker (Head of Growth & have direct reportees) for an Indian startup that has secured a funding of $65 mn till date. Started off as a business analyst, then moved to digital marketing & further heading new customer acquisition, now taking care of the entire user journey. Directly impacting to $10 million p.a in revenues through business strategies implemented from my end

Have previously worked with Amazon as a Transaction Risk Investigator, directly impacting company's bad debt & customer experience.

Post MBA goals: Get into consulting/product management

Hey,
I am a first year student at Tepper. I can give you my two cents!

The strong points in your profile:
You are an engineer who has worked in business roles.
Start-up experience
Weak points:
Your GMAT - I am not what is the breakup like but I would suggest that if the quant is low you go ahead and take it again. If not, make the other areas of your application real strong. Gmat is just one of the many application components!

I would suggest you try and highlight the following points in your application-

How you impacted the P&L- what was your specific role- $$?
Talk about the strategies you implemented to generate the revenue?

Also, make sure that your resume is in Tepper format. Highlight the transferable skills such as analytical thinking, out the box thinking etc in your resume.

Do let me know if you need some more help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tepper Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Guleeka wrote:
Hi
Background & Nationality: Indian Female, Commerce graduate.

Undergraduate: 3GPA Bachelors in Commerce, from University of Delhi

GMAT: 710 V40Q47

Work Experience & Leadership:
2years of audit experience with one of the big fours. Will complete 3 years before beginning the session.

Community & Others:
Volunteered with an NGO for 5 months. Was at a leading post.
Interned with the HR Department of an MNC for a month
Worked with the French Trade Commission at the French Embassy in India
Volunteered for a month teaching underprivileged youth.
Served as the General Secretary (session 2014-15), Joint Secretary (session 2013-14) in College. My role required me to work with a team of 24 other members thereby leading them in organizing various events.

Post MBA Goals: Want to expand my family business, maybe get into a major Finance role.

What are my chances for Tepper? Should I retake the GMAT or wait another year before applying?
Thank you for your help in advance

Hey,
I am a student at Tepper. According to me you have a good profile. The strongest part of your profile is experience with one of the Big4s.

If I were in your place I would give it another try. I see you have a real good score and a well balanced one too! Given the fact that you have just 2-3 years of work ex. you can actually take the exam once again this year and apply next year.

Anything above 740 would increase your chances exponentially!

Good luck and do let me know if you want to know something else.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi,
Planning to apply to Tepper. A brief profile is as below :

Indian, Male, 34 years
B.Sc. - 3 years - not so known university (71.17% )
PGDM - 2 years FT in Marketing/Operations
GMAT - 720 (QA-50 VA-38, IR-8, AWA-5.5)

Total Full Time work - ex upon matriculation: approx. 8 years.
Working with a public sector manufacturing co. since last 5 and half years looking after operations & sales/marketing. have also worked with a Bank in the retail banking space. Also worked in the Retail industry - a hypermarket and a footwear brand in an operations & sales/marketing role.

Entrepreneur: Started a coaching institute in 2009...did not work out well...ran for almost a year
Extra- Curr: Almost NIL - have some sports involvement here n there
Community: Contributor/Volunteer for an NGO for the past 3 years

Post MBA : would like to move forward in operations/supply chain OR general management space.
what are my chances for tepper ? any chance of scholarships ??

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 591 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
Expert Reply
anu629 wrote:
Hi,

Indian, Male, 34 years

Working with a public sector manufacturing co. since last 5 and half years looking after operations & sales/marketing. have also worked with a Bank in the retail banking space. Also worked in the Retail industry - a hypermarket and a footwear brand in an operations & sales/marketing role.

Entrepreneur: Started a coaching institute in 2009...did not work out well...ran for almost a year

Post MBA : would like to move forward in operations/supply chain OR general management space.

Hi,

You have a good profile- go ahead and apply. A strong application with impressive resume, essays and recommendations, is going to be key here, in order to differentiate yourself from other Indian applicants.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anu629 wrote:
Hi,

Indian, Male, 34 years

Hey,
I suggest you retake the gmat. Anything above 740 would increase your admission chances. 'Indian Male' is a real difficult category and therefore I would not bank too much on the scholarship.
If you choose to go ahead with this score, i would suggest you highlight your entrepreneurial venture in your application. Emphasis on the good piece- you should the courage to risk it all and that is a big thing- Tepper values it alot!!
Tepper is an analytics/quants heavy school- You should def highlights projects in which you applied your analytical skills and generated results.

Also, I am not sure why you changed the industry so many times but if at all you can show that in a positive light it would help your cause!

Let me know if you need any further advice.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Indian female engineer,currently working as an IT MAnager in a startup company,With 2 years experience in an Multi national company with 2 promotions and then 2 years in a start up with couple of promotions
Undergrad Information:Bits Hyderabad,7/10,Msc Mathematics+electrical and electronical engineering
GMAT:700 Q50 V34
Work experience and leadership :since past 2 years acting as a senior software engineer and manager in startup company
Community and others:was active in college and in couple of years post graduation
Post MBA goals:Product Manager and Entrepreneurship
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
mnelakuditi wrote:
Indian female engineer,currently working as an IT MAnager in a startup company,With 2 years experience in an Multi national company with 2 promotions and then 2 years in a start up with couple of promotions
Undergrad Information:Bits Hyderabad,7/10,Msc Mathematics+electrical and electronical engineering
Work experience and leadership :since past 2 years acting as a senior software engineer and manager in startup company
Community and others:was active in college and in couple of years post graduation

Female in a quant heavy world - is the only highlight here.
I'd not discourage you on GMAT or such (I had made it with 690). But if you can / are going to re-take, do it and convey that intention to AdCom.
By the way, what is electronical engineering?
I am not doubting your commitment or success, but too many promotions in a very short time!! Who does that start up belong to? If you are a co-founder, I may think that you promoted yourself!! Make it a story for each promotion - pretty much. Like, I achieved this and resulted in a promotion - or something similar.
And finally, your community service etc. Seems you are out of college for 4 and you had couple of years of post college service record - do I assume 2? Some times, it is not length but the impact that matters. Did you have an impact? What were your drivers? Do they still push you in certain direction? These reflections would be backbone of your essays / application.
You are successful, no doubt. Is it enough to get into Tepper based on personal success? Probably not. What else? Any hobby, any passion? Don't come across as a solely career focused soul - that won't take you far - even with improved GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
hiren2011 wrote:
mnelakuditi wrote:

I'd not discourage you on GMAT or such (I had made it with 690). But if you can / are going to re-take, do it and convey that intention to AdCom.
I am not doubting your commitment or success, but too many promotions in a very short time!! Who does that start up belong to? If you are a co-founder, I may think that you promoted yourself!! Make it a story for each promotion - pretty much. Like, I achieved this and resulted in a promotion - or something similar.
And finally, your community service etc. Seems you are out of college for 4 and you had couple of years of post college service record - do I assume 2? Some times, it is not length but the impact that matters. Did you have an impact? What were your drivers? Do they still push you in certain direction? These reflections would be backbone of your essays / application.
You are successful, no doubt. Is it enough to get into Tepper based on personal success? Probably not. What else? Any hobby, any passion? Don't come across as a solely career focused soul - that won't take you far - even with improved GMAT.

OOF!! No offense...but you should really work on your constructive criticism...its pretty rude to tell someone that their "only highlight" is that they are a "female in a quant heavy world"

OP...please wait for one of gmatclub's many helpful consultants to respond to your profil evaluation. They are the experts and will give you the best tips on how to present your profile and any steps to take to address weaknesses before you apply. Good luck! (and as a fellow female from a quant heavy background I am certain that is not your only highlight)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
mnelakuditi wrote:

OOF!! No offense...but you should really work on your constructive criticism...its pretty rude to tell someone that their "only highlight" is that they are a "female in a quant heavy world"

OP...please wait for one of gmatclub's many helpful consultants to respond to your profil evaluation. They are the experts and will give you the best tips on how to present your profile and any steps to take to address weaknesses before you apply. Good luck! (and as a fellow female from a quant heavy background I am certain that is not your only highlight)

I meant no offence - if it felt / perceived that way, here I am apologizing at first opportunity.
I felt that the information provided by her had no other details. So, when I said 'only highlight' was only in regards to what she put there. And if you read my post further, you'd have seen that I asked about hobbies, passions and such.
Did I ever say You have no ohter qualities at all? If I look again at the sentence, it included word 'here' in it and that is what I meant.

Oh well, those were my words and what I meant. How you (Future PM) or others interpret is something I can't control - but by no means, I meant any offence.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.14
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello,
Indian Male Engineer working as Mechanical Unit In-Charge for one of the seven units of Haldia Petrochemicals Limited, the third largest petrochemical company in India that has annual turnover of $3Bn.

Undergaduate : Bengal Engineering & Science University (CGPA : 7.8)
GMAT - 710(Q50V35)

I joined the organization in 2012 and have been escalated to the role Unit In-Charge with three promotions in 5 years. My job is to ensure smooth operation of the plant (the unit that I'm responsible for), develop strategic procurement of spare parts, and lead the team of 5 engineers and 18 support staffs. I have successfully managed to deliver a 98% availability of the plant, reduce breakdown with quantifiable benefits for the company, and develop leaner operation practices and better procurement strategies.
I am presently having the post of Joint Secretary for the social club of our organization that fosters the development of all employees and their families through organizing various cultural, social, recreational, athletic, and professional events.
I want to apply for Tepper's operations management course, but belonging to the most competitive pool of Indian Male Engineer, I am really not sure about this decision. Even if I apply, how much chance do i have to secure a scholarship?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayak2708 wrote:
Hello,
Indian Male Engineer working as Mechanical Unit In-Charge for one of the seven units of Haldia Petrochemicals Limited, the third largest petrochemical company in India that has annual turnover of $3Bn.

GMAT - 710(Q50V35)

I joined the organization in 2012 and have been escalated to the role Unit In-Charge with three promotions in 5 years. My job is to ensure smooth operation of the plant (the unit that I'm responsible for), develop strategic procurement of spare parts, and lead the team of 5 engineers and 18 support staffs. I have successfully managed to deliver a 98% availability of the plant, reduce breakdown with quantifiable benefits for the company, and develop leaner operation practices and better procurement strategies.
I am presently having the post of Joint Secretary for the social club of our organization that fosters the development of all employees and their families through organizing various cultural, social, recreational, athletic, and professional events.
I want to apply for Tepper's operations management course, but belonging to the most competitive pool of Indian Male Engineer, I am really not sure about this decision. Even if I apply, how much chance do i have to secure a scholarship?

Sayak,

Your work experience sounds quite strong.

I'd be a little concerned about your GMAT score, which is low for an Indian applicant applying to Tepper. Nevertheless, if you really have your heart set on the b-school, go ahead and apply and present a very strong application. You already have an admit, so you have nothing to lose. From my past experience, I'd doubt a scholarship.

I'd recommend you also apply to some other b-schools which are traditionally strong in operations and you have a stronger chance of an admit. See this: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... s-rankings
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.14
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
sayak2708 wrote:
Hello,

GMAT - 710(Q50V35)

Sayak,

I'd be a little concerned about your GMAT score, which is low for an Indian applicant applying to Tepper. Nevertheless, if you really have your heart set on the b-school, go ahead and apply and present a very strong application. You already have an admit, so you have nothing to lose. From my past experience, I'd doubt a scholarship.

I'd recommend you also apply to some other b-schools which are traditionally strong in operations and you have a stronger chance of an admit. See this: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... s-rankings

Thanks for the evaluation. I am going to write the GMAT exam again on 11th Feb. However, the recommended deadline for international candidate is on January. Will it yield any result if I apply in the third round, and in that case could I hope for any scholarship?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayak2708 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
sayak2708 wrote:
Hello,

GMAT - 710(Q50V35)

Sayak,

Thanks for the evaluation. I am going to write the GMAT exam again on 11th Feb. However, the recommended deadline for international candidate is on January. Will it yield any result if I apply in the third round, and in that case could I hope for any scholarship?

In that case apply next year in R1. Chances of a scholarship in R3 are next to none :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Hi Guys! This is my profile -

GMAT - 740
Undergrad GPA - 8.87/10 from BITS Pilani, one of the best universities in India
Work experience - 2 years (by matriculation) in PayPal.
Have worked across the organization for more than 5 teams on global projects.
Had the opportunity of working offsite in San Jose.
Mentored a total of 3 interns.
Led a team of 4 and demoed the product to external stakeholders
Extra Curriculars -
Vice President Public Relations at a Toastmasters Club.
Jamboree Division Ambassador - managed the marketing of a conference for over 20 Toastmasters' clubs.
Volunteer at a local School, teach English to underprivileged kids.

How are my chances of getting into Tepper?
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mnelakuditi, Sorry it's been awhile :oops: since your original post, but wanted to get back to you with feedback on your profile.

I think your work experience is really strong, not just being a female applicant from a technical field, but also the mix of big & small company experience you have provides an interesting perspective. Plus the quick promotions are impressive (and make sense since startups typically have more flexibility to promote star performers quickly). Your management experience is also a plus, not as many applicants have formal management experience as you might expect, so definitely highlight that. Your GMAT is strong too, especially quant. Make sure your written materials are well executed and you (plus your recommenders) show your strong communication (and other soft skills) to balance that out.

Your community involvement seems light compared to other applicants, though maybe you've not included all the details here. Use the application to showcase your personal interests and passions outside of work, since Tepper looks for individuals who are not just smart and accomplished, but also ones who will contribute to and be actively involved in the school community.

Best of luck!
Kate

mnelakuditi wrote:
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi alphaAbhishek123!
I remember seeing your profile on our Ask mbaMission thread last year. I'm glad you've narrowed in on Tepper, as I think that's a good choice for you.

The global project experience is wonderful, and it's great to see some involvement in extracurriculars too. I think overall you have strong chances for Tepper!

Only concern is still that you are on the low end of experience level (average at Tepper is about 5 years), so make sure you present clear reasons for why you want to get your MBA now, and showcase your leadership experience whenever possible.

Best of luck!
Kate

alphaAbhishek123 wrote:
Hi Guys! This is my profile -

GMAT - 740
Undergrad GPA - 8.87/10 from BITS Pilani, one of the best universities in India
Work experience - 2 years (by matriculation) in PayPal.
Have worked across the organization for more than 5 teams on global projects.
Had the opportunity of working offsite in San Jose.
Mentored a total of 3 interns.
Led a team of 4 and demoed the product to external stakeholders
Extra Curriculars -
Vice President Public Relations at a Toastmasters Club.
Jamboree Division Ambassador - managed the marketing of a conference for over 20 Toastmasters' clubs.
Volunteer at a local School, teach English to underprivileged kids.

How are my chances of getting into Tepper?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello All,
I would like to have my profile evaluated. I just took the GMAT in June and am ready to apply for business school in Fall 2019. Here is my information:
GMAT: 710 (50Q/34V/6 IR) Have not received my AWA score yet
GPA: ~ 3.37 (over a 3.5 my last year)
Degree: BA Economics, UCLA. Transfer GPA - 3.8
Experience: 2 years as an analyst at a real estate investment company(1 year at current firm). Work in both acquisitions (acquired 3 hotels for $150mm since I started) and asset management (6 of our current hotels, and 135 hotels for a third party). Had previous internship experience in PWM.
Extracurricular: Over 700 hours working as a volunteer at the local hospital, as a tutor, and as a coach for middle school children. No experience in professional leadership/managerial roles. Was a member of Ski and Snowboard team in college. Mentor a student at UCLA. High School Valedictorian.
Background: Indian (born and raised in California). 25 years old. Typical middle class story for a kid in Orange County.
What I want from business school: First, I would like to work in finance, either in real estate acquisitions, PWM, or VC/PE. I would like to gain both the professional and personal skills that business school can provide. Finally, I need a change in my life.
Letters of Rec: Plan on asking my CIO and an Associate at my current company for my two recommendations. I also have my previous employer in case. Do not have a professor at UCLA I can ask since I did not spend a lot of time in office hours.
Other: The one issue which will make things difficult is that I was accused of cheating in college. I received academic probation and I'm sure I will have to discuss what happened. I would like some feedback whether this is a automatic red flag. It was a mistake and I've grown from it, but I am sure it will leave a mark.

Thank You,
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6