Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [11]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 358
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Pack 3 Q2 Unlike King Tutankhamun’s remains [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 3, Question 2 of 5

Unlike King Tutankhamun’s remains, which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great’s remains were in a royal cache with the mummies of more than fifty other rulers.

Ⓐ which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great’s remains were in a royal cache
Correct comparison. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "Ramesses the Great’s remains"

Ⓑ which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, in the case of Ramesses the Great, remains were in a royal cache
Wrong comparison. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "in the case of Ramesses the Great, remains"

Ⓒ which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, the remains of Ramesses the Great were in a royal cache
Here the comparison is not outrightly incorrect. But Option A presents a better version of this sentence

whose tomb was found alone in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great was in a royal cache
Wrong comparison again. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "Ramesses the Great". Another mistake is the usage of "WHOSE". According to the meaning it is referring to "King Tutankhamun" but since King Tutankhamun is in possessive state, it cant act as an antecedent for WHOSE

Ⓔ with their tomb in the Valley of the Kings, the royal cache of Ramesses the Great’s remains were
Wrong comparison again. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "the royal cache of Ramesses the Great’s remains"

IMO the answer is A because of the explanation mentioned above.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Hi Shivam21!

Can you explain why A is over B except for the reason mentioned in your post?

Do you think that possessive noun should be compared only with possessive noun?

In given statement, T's remains is compared with R's remains.
I think there is no logical or grammatical difference if I compare T's remains with remains of R.
What do you say?

Shivan21 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 3, Question 2 of 5

Unlike King Tutankhamun’s remains, which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great’s remains were in a royal cache with the mummies of more than fifty other rulers.

Ⓐ which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great’s remains were in a royal cache
Correct comparison. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "Ramesses the Great’s remains"

Ⓑ which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, in the case of Ramesses the Great, remains were in a royal cache
Wrong comparison. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "in the case of Ramesses the Great, remains"

Ⓒ which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings, the remains of Ramesses the Great were in a royal cache
Here the comparison is not outrightly incorrect. But Option A presents a better version of this sentence

whose tomb was found alone in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great was in a royal cache
Wrong comparison again. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "Ramesses the Great". Another mistake is the usage of "WHOSE". According to the meaning it is referring to "King Tutankhamun" but since King Tutankhamun is in possessive state, it cant act as an antecedent for WHOSE

Ⓔ with their tomb in the Valley of the Kings, the royal cache of Ramesses the Great’s remains were
Wrong comparison again. "King Tutankhamun’s remains" are compared with "the royal cache of Ramesses the Great’s remains"

IMO the answer is A because of the explanation mentioned above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 3, Question 2 of 5

Ⓓ whose tomb was found alone in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great was in a royal cache

IMO A should be the answer and others can be eliminated for the below reasons -

EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

Not parallel to the phrase 'King Tutankhamun’s remains' which is in the non-underlined portion of the prompt. Hence Incorrect
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

Here we can say that phrase 'King Tutankhamun’s remains' is parallel to 'remains of Ramesses the Great' phrase, but this case is acceptable when we don't have an exact match of the non - underlined phrase to maintain parallelism. But we have the exact match in Option A with out other errors. Hence this is the less preferred option and hence incorrect.
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Ⓓ whose tomb was found alone in the Valley of the Kings, Ramesses the Great was in a royal cache

There are two errors that we can note here -
1. phrase 'King Tutankhamun’s remains' is not parallel to pharse 'Ramesses the Great'. Irregular comparison of a human to other human's remains.
2. Phrase 'whose tomb was found alone in the Valley of the Kings' changes meaning from the original phrase 'which were found alone in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings'. Now from the sentence, according to me, it is quite clear that the author wants to mention that 'King Tutankhamun’s remains' were kept in one tomb and 'Ramesses the Great’s remains' were kept in a royal cache, where they bury multiple mummies. But here the option phrase means that the his tomb was the only one in the valley of the kings. That changes the original meaning of the sentence.
Hence incorrect
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:

Again incorrect comparison, phrase 'King Tutankhamun’s remains' is not parallel to phrase 'the royal cache of Ramesses the Great’s remains'.
Also we have a subject - verb error in the clause 'the royal cache of Ramesses the Great’s remains were...'
Hence incorrect
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
In D whose can modify people or things.

My problem with D is comparison of x'remains with Y himself.

Waiting for OE.

I chose A

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by ShankSouljaBoi on 24 Oct 2019, 00:15.
Last edited by ShankSouljaBoi on 24 Oct 2019, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Kudos
Can anyone explain why it's not A? For me, the choice was between A and C, but A seemed better because King Tutankhamun’s remains is parallel with Ramesses the Great's remains.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Owen '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GPA: 4
Send PM
OA says option D is correct. Can someone please explain how D is the correct choice. I marked C !!
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [1]
Given Kudos: 358
GPA: 2.88
Send PM