Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [49]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [11]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [9]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618824 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Countr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Country Y has historically favored the currency of Country Y. Because of this, citizens of Country Y often take their vacations in Country X, where the exchange rate makes hotels and restaurants more affordable. Yet, citizens of Country Y rarely purchase clothing or electronics in Country X, despite the fact that those items are more expensive in their home country, even when sales taxes are taken into account.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the buying habits of the citizens of Country Y?

A. Citizens of Country Y prefer the fashions available in their own country.

B. Stores in Country X receive the latest fashions and technology several months after they are available in Country Y.

C. The citizens of Country X resent the buying power of the currency of Country Y.

D. The government of Country Y imposes tariffs on imported goods.

E. The currencies of Country X and Country Y are both weak compared to the currency of Country Z.

This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Paradox Revision Project.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The argument focuses on the relative cost of goods and services in Countries X and Y due to an exchange rate that has historically favored the currency of Country Y. The argument presents an apparent discrepancy: the citizens of Country Y often take their vacations in Country X, yet rarely purchase clothing or electronics in Country X, despite the fact that those items are more expensive in their home country, even when sales taxes are taken into account. The correct answer will be one that indicates some reason why it might not actually be cheaper for citizens of Country Y to purchase clothing and electronics in Country X.

(A) The fashion preferences of the citizens of Country Y do not directly explain their buying habits. To be relevant, this statement would have to go further to link fashion preferences to purchasing decisions: for example, it would have to continue “…and are therefore willing to pay more for the goods available in their own country.”

(B) The fact that stores in Country Y receive the latest fashions and technology earlier than stores in Country X does not address the buying habits of the citizens. Even if we could assume that the citizens of Country Y demand the latest goods as soon as they are available, it still would not directly explain their buying habits. To be relevant, this statement would have to go further to link consumer preferences to purchasing decisions: for example, it would have to continue “…and the citizens of Country Y are willing to pay more in their own country just to acquire the latest goods as soon as they are available.”

(C) The attitude of the citizens of Country X is irrelevant to an argument about the purchasing habits of the citizens of Country Y.

(D) CORRECT. This choice states that the government of Country Y imposes tariffs on imported goods. This suggests that perhaps items that are purchased in Country X and brought into Country Y become prohibitively expensive because of the tariffs and could explain the spending habits of the citizens of Country Y.

(E) The currency of Country Z is irrelevant to why citizens of Country Y rarely purchase clothing or electronics in Country X.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Countr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer should be B.

A - It is clearly mentioned that " those items are more expensive in their home country...". Apart from that this option is talking about "preference" not actual buying habit. So, incorrect.
B - Explains a reason, apart from cost, that is considered while making decision to buy. Correct.
C - Does not affect the buyers of country Y. Incorrect.
D - Buying is not "Importing". Incorrect.
E - The argument is concerned about the currency comparison between country X and Y. So, this OFS. Incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [4]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Country Y has historically favored the currency of Country Y. Because of this, citizens of Country Y often take their vacations in Country X, where the exchange rate makes hotels and restaurants more affordable. Yet, citizens of Country Y rarely purchase clothing or electronics in Country X, despite the fact that those items are more expensive in their home country, even when sales taxes are taken into account. Which of the following, if true, would best explain the buying habits of the citizens of Country Y?

What about electronics?

B. Stores in Country X receive the latest fashions and technology several months after they are available in Country Y.
If the fashions and technology is inexpensive enough in Country X, residents of Country Y may still wait to go buy their clothes and electronics in Country X.

C. The citizens of Country X resent the buying power of the currency of Country Y.
Does not impact Country Y's spending habit.

If the tariffs are high enough they may deter Country Y from buying the fashions and electronics in Country X.

E. The currencies of Country X and Country Y are both weak compared to the currency of Country Z.
Has nothing to do with Country Y's spending in Country X.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Kudos
The only reason for Citizens of Country Y not buying clothers and electronic is becuse these good have to be taken back with them and country Y imposes import tax on the items. (Probably with the addition of income tax, the total price of item would go up)

Good question Souvik.

souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Paradox Revision Project.

The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Country Y has historically favored the currency of Country Y. Because of this, citizens of Country Y often take their vacations in Country X, where the exchange rate makes hotels and restaurants more affordable. Yet, citizens of Country Y rarely purchase clothing or electronics in Country X, despite the fact that those items are more expensive in their home country, even when sales taxes are taken into account. Which of the following, if true, would best explain the buying habits of the citizens of Country Y?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [7]
Given Kudos: 216
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Request clarification :
Does shopping of clothes & electronics good abroad & carrying it to the native country equivalent of IMPORT ?
If yes, only then option 'D' stands a strong chance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
NickHalden wrote:
Request clarification :
Does shopping of clothes & electronics good abroad & carrying it to the native country equivalent of IMPORT ?
If yes, only then option 'D' stands a strong chance.

Yes, I would like more clarification as well. When I travel abroad and claim goods on my customs form, I do not pay a tariff or any tax in my native country(because I am obliviously not bringing a lot in). To me, the passage was focused on individual travelers and not large imports into the country that would warrant tariffs.

If NickHalden question is confirmed, then I would agree that D is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Paradox: Even though some stuff is cheaper in X, people of Y don't buy them!

So how does that explain why citizens of country Y do NOT buy cheaper stuff from X?
No where it is mentioned that X has outdated fashion!

Ok, so the stuff arrives a bit late in country X, but no where it is mentioned that citizens of country Y will buy only if it is new or something they have not seen in their country before.

Country X is resenting the buying power, but this gap in currency value should infact encourage the citizens of country Y to buy more stuff from country X!

When the citizens come back from holidays, with all their souvenirs such as a hat or a new ipod, they are taxed by their own government!
Please note that we have to assume that they are taxed in a way that it surcharge surpasses that of price of same stuff in country Y including the sales tax.

Relation to Country Z (outside and irrelevant information) adds nothing to solve this paradox
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Patronus wrote:
Paradox: Even though some stuff is cheaper in X, people of Y don't buy them!

So how does that explain why citizens of country Y do NOT buy cheaper stuff from X?
No where it is mentioned that X has outdated fashion!

Ok, so the stuff arrives a bit late in country X, but no where it is mentioned that citizens of country Y will buy only if it is new or something they have not seen in their country before.

Country X is resenting the buying power, but this gap in currency value should infact encourage the citizens of country Y to buy more stuff from country X!

When the citizens come back from holidays, with all their souvenirs such as a hat or a new ipod, they are taxed by their own government!
Please note that we have to assume that they are taxed in a way that it surcharge surpasses that of price of same stuff in country Y including the sales tax.

Relation to Country Z (outside and irrelevant information) adds nothing to solve this paradox

I follow what you're saying, but I think it is just a poor question all around. I am not sure about most other countries, but in the countries I have lived, bringing in a small amount of goods from a vacation is not technically considered "imports" that warrants taxing or especially a tariff (this would be extreme).

The passage never verifies the idea of purchasing goods in large or small amounts or if taxes are imposed on travelers bringing back small goods . How should one know or assume the legislation of Country X?

B isn't ideal, but i have to make less assumptions in that option to make the explanation plausible.

Just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Wofford09 wrote:
I follow what you're saying, but I think it is just a poor question all around. I am not sure about most other countries, but in the countries I have lived, bringing in a small amount of goods from a vacation is not technically considered "imports" that warrants taxing or especially a tariff (this would be extreme).

So what I think of 'import' is that it can be any item brought into one's country, especially across from a national border. Items can be big or small. From what I know about imports is that the tariffs/taxes are decided broadly based on the countries trade relation among other complex factors. So we cannot say that because an item is small it should have no tariff, may be it is not charged because of the trade relations between those countries.

Next, the next big idea is hidden in the argument itself. If we go back to the argument, it says that exchange rate between X and Y favors guys of Y, and therefore guys in Y go to X for holidays. What can we infer from this? A subtle understanding of behavioral aspect of Y's. i.e. they prefer to go to X because it is cheaper for Y's to spend there holidays there.

Now comes the paradox: that even though the currency is cheaper in Y, those holiday goers still do not buy stuff! Well what could be the problem? Probably it is not cheaper for Y's to buy those stuff. That's it.

If we can hunt for an answer choice that proves that something - anything - that makes it not so cheap for Y's to buy stuff, that is our answer.

Well that is how I arrived at D. B, I believe, does not do a good job in even remotely thinking in the lines of "is it cheaper for Y's?". It talks about fashion, which I could not infer if it was really a behavioral aspect of Y.

Wofford09 wrote:
The passage never verifies the idea of purchasing goods in large or small amounts

It does not matter if the goods are small or large. A small sized iphone bought from Taiwan will have import duty levied on it as will a 10k Baju Kurungs from Malaysia.

Wofford09 wrote:
or if taxes are imposed on travelers bringing back small goods .

Please note that resolving the paradox involves bringing in new information. It is from the Strengthen, Weaken family where new information in choices is not just expected but also a feature to have in correct answer.

Wofford09 wrote:
How should one know or assume the legislation of Country X?

We are talking about the legislation of Country Y, who is imposing tariffs/taxes. I think you mistyped Y as X. :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Countr [#permalink]
Kudos
The exchange rate between the currency of Country X and that of Country Y has historically favored the currency of Country Y. Because of this, citizens of Country Y often take their vacations in Country X, where the exchange rate makes hotels and restaurants more affordable. Yet, citizens of Country Y rarely purchase clothing or electronics in Country X, despite the fact that those items are more expensive in their home country, even when sales taxes are taken into account.

Which of the following, if true, would best explain the buying habits of the citizens of Country Y?

A. Citizens of Country Y prefer the fashions available in their own country. - Incorrect - but it does not explain why Y people don't buy electronics from country X

B. Stores in Country X receive the latest fashions and technology several months after they are available in Country Y. - This does make sense to me. At least in electronics, most people buy the latest ones.

C. The citizens of Country X resent the buying power of the currency of Country Y. - Irrelevant

D. The government of Country Y imposes tariffs on imported goods. - In general, most countries do allow its citizens/visitors to bring a certain amount of new items from abroad. Almost all international airports have duty free stores from which people are allowed to buy up to a certain limit

E. The currencies of Country X and Country Y are both weak compared to the currency of Country Z. - Irrelevant

I chose B . I did not think that an electronic item(s)/clothing bought from abroad will constitute an imported item that will attract import duty/tariff . In my opinion, B and D are equal contenders. Also, in D, we don't know whether the tariff is a significant amount or not. In some cases, even with tariff, buying from Country X might be cheaper.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , ChiranjeevSingh, GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , other experts-- please enlighten
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos