Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [2]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably because, for one reason,
"for one reason" after "because" is redundant

(B) If people contract viral infections more during the winter than other seasons, it is unquestionably because
"if".. making a conditional sentence.

(C) One undoubtable reason that people contract viral infections more during the winter than other times is
looks fine. hold on
(D) One reason why more people contract viral infections during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably is because
"because" after "one reason" is redundant
(E) One reason why more people contract viral infections during the winter than at other times of the year is unquestionably that
this also looks fine
so after bumping my head even after for a few minutes ,no strong difference is easy to point out.
maybe a slight change in meaning of E where it says "more people contract" ,while in the first it simply says " people contract ....more often". also "unquestionably" does strike as odd.
IMO C is the answer .
please let me know if any of you can clarify further
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at [#permalink]
Kudos
kungfury42 wrote:
I think it should be E.

A. "For one reason" seems redundant
B. Conditional usage doesn't make much sense here
C. I think there's a missing "that" after is
D. "Reason is because" is a redundant construction
E. Straightforward and error free

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

I believe, option E changes 'People' to 'more People' making it invalid to be a correct answer choice.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [2]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Kudos
People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably because, for one reason, the cold prompts people to spend more time in closed, insulated spaces.

(A) People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably because, for one reason, Incorrect

has redundancy issue

(B) If people contract viral infections more during the winter than other seasons, it is unquestionably because Incorrect

changes intended meaning

(C) One undoubtable reason that people contract viral infections more during the winter than other times is Incorrect

eliminate C because that missing after is and also often needed after more and at after than

(D) One reason why more people contract viral infections during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably is because Incorrect

same as A, redundant issue

(E) One reason why more people contract viral infections during the winter than at other times of the year is unquestionably that Correct

Picked E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
Comparison in C is bad, ‘at’ is missing.
IMO ans is E.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Lets start with meaning analysis:-
Why people contract more viral infections during winter than other times because of one sole (unquestionable) reason-
Cold which prompts people to spend more time in closed rather than open area.

Error Analysis:-

Option A:
Incorrect
Just by reading the sentence one can understand that the sentence is worded in a very weird manner. Though meaning can be inferred but sentence framework is strange.
I was able to find one redundancy error because, for one reason. Such usage is redundant

Now my next step was to find the answer choice which will give the same meaning as intended by the author and is grammatically correct.

Option B.
Incorrect
Error 1. When IF is used, I look for then. ( Pair of IF THEN).
Error 2. Use of IF clause is not correct as it changes the meaning. If people contract viral infections .... then the reason for such contraction is.....
Such conditional meaning is not required. Here the sentence gives us the reason for people contracting more infections during winter.

Option C.
HOLD
Seems right at first reading but these were the thoughts that crossed my mind after reading.
UNDOUTABLE REASON ? "Unquestionable because of one reason" has been reframed as Undoutable reason.
Is this correct?

Option D.
Incorrect
"Unquestionable because is " is redundant

Option E.
HOLD
More people contract infections should be people contract more infections.
Otherwise the sentence is correct. Option E keeps the same framework as Option A.

I was stuck between Option C and E. Had to read C and E two-three times.
At the end I chose Option E as it kept the original wordings.

Thanks
PS: Took me 2.30 mins. Now I think Option C is correct
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably because, for one reason, the cold prompts people to spend more time in closed, insulated spaces.

(A) People contract viral infections more often during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably because, for one reason,
(B) If people contract viral infections more during the winter than other seasons, it is unquestionably because
(C) One undoubtable reason that people contract viral infections more during the winter than other times is
(D) One reason why more people contract viral infections during the winter than at other times of the year unquestionably is because
(E) One reason why more people contract viral infections during the winter than at other times of the year is unquestionably that

This Month's Questions are Sponsored by
Experts' Global for the GMAT Club SC Butler

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Expert's Global Official Explanation:

Idioms + Comparison + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• A term such as “the more”, showing relativity, needs to have a logical sequence on the lines of “the more/greater/lesser/stronger/weaker…” for a complete, coherent meaning

A. Trap. This answer choice suffers from redundancy, as it utilizes both “for one reason” and “because” in the same context.

B. This answer choice features a pronoun error, as it has no clear antecedent for the pronoun “it”. Besides, in absence of “than at other times of the year”, the construction “more…during winter” is incomplete.

C. Trap. This answer choice incorrectly compares “during the winter” to “other times”; either “during the winter” must be compared with “during other times” or “winter” must be compared with “other times”. Further, the placement of the term “more” is awkward, leading to an incoherent meaning- that “people contract viral infections more during…”; the intended meaning is that “more people contract viral infections during winters…”.

D. This answer choice is redundant, as it utilizes both “reason why” alongside the word “because”.

E. Correct. This answer choice correctly compares “during the winter” with “than at other times”, conveys the intended meaning of the sentence, maintains proper pronoun use, and is free of redundancy.

E is the best answer choice.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

This Month's Questions are Sponsored by
Experts' Global for the GMAT Club SC Butler

Experts Global

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Expert's Global Video Explanation:

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts